“Hugos Revisited - June 2013” 5 of 5 stars

216 N Montezuma St, Prescott, AZ 86301-3008
928-777-0105
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: NEW OWNERS! THE CHEFS BOUGHT THE PLACE! The same great food maybe with a little pride added. Durango Mexican cooking at its best.I have passed by this little place for years and didn't give it a second glance. It is a little hole-in-the-wall delight; tiny with a one person kitchen. Now I am a regular, coming a a couple of times a week when in town. If you have to wait, it is well worth it.My wife has taken to the Frijoles Enteros, a vegetarian dish of whole pinto beans, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, guacamole and sour cream, served with fresh, warmed tortillas. I need a little meat, so I ask for a small bowl of red chili to complement the beans- it is not on the menu, but they are quite willing to accommodate. The meat is tender and delicious, in a mild thin red chili sauce. Their salsa bar has chips, salsas, lime wedges and jalapenos. The jalapenos make this a perfect meal. There is a lot of food. We will share a plate as there is too much for one. We will split a red chili burro, or a green chili burro and that is a delicious lunch with a side of free chips and salsa. For a great snack, a little lime on a carne asada taco delights my taste buds and comes close to filling me up.Yes, it is a little different, funky maybe; few tables inside, most outside in the back. It's a little bit of a challenge when it is really cold outside, but I have braved the cold for the food several times. It is a comfy winter environment inside. On a warm afternoon, sitting on the patio in beautiful Prescott with the excellent flavors of Hugo's food is just perfect.
Oxnard, California
“Hugos Revisited - June 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The sign says "Under New Management" but the food is the same great fare as indicated below in other reviews. We had carne asada tacos and a veggie quesadilla - both excellent. The salsa bar rates 5*; be sure to try the green (tomatillo) salsa: not super-hot but a flavor that you will remember for days!
Gracias Hugo!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Prescott, Arizona
“Plenty of good food, little seating.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The food portions are generous, the salsa bar a nice touch, but try and get there when they aren't crowded as the dining area is tiny.

Visited December 2012
“Super Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Drove by Hugo's for weeks before we learned they had the best fish taco's and other Mexican food offerings in town. Now we stop by regularly to enjoy their specials while we continue to feast on their Baja fish taco's. Not fancy inside, but very clean. Order your food at the counter where you will find a warm and friendly staff to help make the right selections. Franchise Mexican food is not found here. Fun and authentic Mexican food is found here. We have recommended Hugo's to friends who tell us how much the love it as well.
We love this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Prescott, Arizona
“Best Mexican food in Prescott!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hugo's is my absolute favorite Mexican restaurant in Prescott. It's an absolute hole-in-the-wall, which makes it even better! I LOVE their food. It's the real deal! Be sure to try their very unique chile relleno, which I love because it's not filled with goopy cheese. If it's warm enough, you can eat out back under a tin roof shed. (You'll have to walk out the front door and around to the back. It's shorter to walk through their 3' X 10' kitchen, but they don't like it when you do that!)

Visited December 2012
Arizona
“Hugos Tacos... the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We've been to Hugos probably a thousand times... no joke. We get tacos every time, because they're the best. Manny knows how to make good food. Small place with good home-made salsa at the salsa bar.
Great stuff. Never disappoints!

Visited November 2012