“Don't book through "secret hotel" unless you smoke” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #20 of 22 hotels in Prescott
tucson
“Don't book through "secret hotel" unless you smoke”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hotel staff very nice-but I made the huge mistake of booking on a website's secret hotel deal- ended up with a smoking room and got an instant headache.
Place looks terrible from the street but isn't as bad as it looks.
Would probably have been OK in a nonsmoking room.
The main point of this review is to warn people not to book "secret hotel" (on a popular travel website) unless they don't mind a smoking room

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mesa, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We wanted to go to Prescott on a busy weekend and found most hotels were booked up. The only rooms left were the really expensive ones and the cheapies. So we called and got a reservation here and even though it was cheaper than the other places it still ended up being around $100 (after taxes) for the night. Way too expensive for this place, but we didn't have a lot of choices.

The room was clean and it had been updated with nice-looking furnishings. There was a microwave and a mini fridge which we found very convenient. However I found it strange that there was no alarm clock. There also was no hair dryer or coffee maker. Our hand towels were damp which was a little disconcerting. I hoped that they just took them out of the dryer a little sooner than they should have.

The grounds were not in the best shape and the roof looked horrible, but they were in the process of getting a new roof put on. They also seemed to be working on the parking lot and the pool. Hopefully, they will continue with the updates because the place is in a wonderfully convenient part of town. Just about a mile from the courthouse park and whiskey row. It's also right next doort to CircleK, which was great.

They were supposed to have a continental breakfast in the morning but the office was locked when we went down so we ended up getting dougnuts and coffee at the CircleK.

I have to say that the manager who checked us in was a super friendly, helpful man. We really liked him.

Overall, I would stay there again in a pinch, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Prescott, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm a local but stayed here when I was house hunting last year. I found it dirty and smelly. Now since I moved to Prescott, I find myself driing by this location almost daily and am ashhamed that I have such an eyesore in my hometown. Someone drove into the canopy at the entrance and it had to be taken down. There was residual damage to the roof and now almost 8 months later, it has not been repaired. The roof over the complex is in dire need of repair as it is very weather worn. I just wonder how much damage has been done to the inside of units. When I stayed there, the room was dirty and smelled. I only stayed there one night before I moved to another motel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband got a great deal on our own travel booking site. When we arrived, he said, "Well, they had a REALLY good photographer..." So it's basically a Motel 6 but remodeled. They have tried to make it nicer - painted color in the rooms, better furniture than surely what was original, modern light and sink fixtures. It has a small fridge and microwave, I think that's awesome. It's BASIC. But I guess we paid about half of what others have, so we were super pleased.

Man at front desk (owner?) was VERY kind, really wanted to be accommodating, hard worker.

I'd say it's less than a mile from "Whiskey Row" - very close to Community Arts Center where we saw a show.

We walked to the Circle K next door, great store clerk recommended for us somewhat healthy snacks, thanks!

Shower was good, water hot, towels, fine, cable TV worked fine, fridge kept our stuff cold, blackout curtains kept it dark. 2 suitcase racks in the room - more than 4 and 5 stars we have stayed at :-)

Set your standards at 2-star and no more, book on a site that pulls good prices, and you will be happy.

Room Tip: Whole place seems to be off street except maybe a room or two at the street end? Seems most would be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

There were hairs on the bed sheets and in the bathtub, which had a distinct "ring" around it -- really gross.

Dirty grounds, stairways, and room.

No hair dryer or coffee maker in the room. Told by the front desk person upon check in that coffee and rolls would be available in the office at 7:00 am. At 7:25 am there were neither. (I must say, however, that the young lady that was working the night shift was extremely nice and accommodating)

The next morning I politely told the manager/owner(?) about the hair issues, and that it appeared the bed had not been changed. His answer was, "I'm sorry" -- nothing more.

So, just as an FYI -- this place is a dive and basic hygiene and care for the comfort of guests is noticeably absent. I go to Prescott often and would NEVER stay at the Econo Lodge again.

Room Tip: Best advice is to look elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

First off our beds had hair and food on the top bed sheet. The floor had alot of small debris were the vacuum cant reach.. along the wall ect. At 85$ it was over priced.. the breakfast was just coffee n toast. Not much of a hotel.looks very old.. i dont think it will be around too much longer

• Stayed September 2012
Kennebunkport, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

prescott is a very nice city, and the downtown area is just amazing. this hotel is just down the street maybe 5 minutes from downtown.

the room was basic but had everything we needed. included free internet, had a fridge, and extended cable.

Breakfast wasn't a lot but the danish's were very good and Orange Juice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge Prescott? Share your experiences!