“Great historic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Payson, Arizona, United States
“Great historic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Our group arrived quite early, however, we all were able to get checked in and to our rooms. My husband and I booked a king suite for our stay during a car show, and were very happy with how large it was. Others in our group booked regular rooms, which were quite tiny. Our room was right up against another building so while we had windows, the view was of a block wall. The bed was comfortable and linens were fine. If there was one less than complimentary thing about the room, it is that the bathroom had no electrical outlets, and just outside the bathroom where there was a "vanity" type area with a table and a mirror, the nearest electrical outlet was nearly 8 feet away. Which made it very inconvenient for using my hair appliances. The common areas of the hotel are very pretty and historical and the small restaurant within was delightful. We would absolutely stay here again, although in future I would add an extension cord to my travel accessories.
If you are looking for, or expecting, five star luxury and service, stay elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a charming, comfortable, inexpensive hotel with touches that smack of a bygone era...the elevator is very old fashioned, the staircase will make a girl feel like Scarlett O'Hara, and each turn of a corner brings a smile of when things were real and craftsmanship meant something, then visit the Hotel St, Michael.

Room Tip: King suites are much roomier.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

What a lovely stay we had at the Hotel St Michael. I read all the other reviews on here, and quite honestly I don't understand any of the negative comments. This is a Historic Hotel, not a bran new Hilton. I love that they have left it true to itself. There is new bedding and the mattresses were comfortable. The carpet was clean, I could walk around in bare feet not worrying about them turning black! There is a bit of noise that come from the bars next door. Each room has a window fan so it you turn it on it muffles the sound. I never felt like it was to loud. But besides the fact that I loved the room the hotel staff were fantastic!! We checked in and out with Kristian and she was wonderful! We got the pleasure of seeing Rosie on more that one occasion and what a joy she was! Bubbly,friendly and fun!! Then we have Jay. Jay was very professional and good at his job! He had a bit of a hard time while kindly enforcing one of the hotel rules with a girl that came it to visit friends late in the evening. He was amazing at keeping his cool and staying in control of the situation. High 5 to Jay. Again over all I really enjoyed being able to step back in time to the old wild west at this Historic Arizona Hotel!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a double queen room with a view of the court house. We were at the end of the hallway s...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Chino, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our son booked a room for my husbands birthday and when we went to check in on Thursday and they had the wrong day for our stay, wrong size beds, so we came back on Friday. My son had it set up to pay the bill, but upon check in they informed us we had to pay. To be a historic hotel, everything was bought Cosco. The heat, they contol so if your cold to bad, use a blanket is what we were told. At about midnight, I called and asked for 2 pillows because the was a space between the bed and headboard so I stuffed pillows in the crack. Then we get a phone call which was after midnight, and they told us not to smoke in the room (we don't smoke). Then if that wasn't bad enough the toilet backs up. Also the walls are so thin, we could hear the people next to us. And their free breakfast isn't free, $5.00 off and when we left, people were waiting to use their "coupon", hope they weren't hungry they were going to have a long wait. Don;t waste your time staying here Prescott has way more to offer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, you will be alot happier and get better service
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I visited Prescott for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We wanted to stay in a historic hotel on Gurley Street so we picked the Hotel St. Michael. The hotel is very cute, quaint and historic. The outside of the hotel is beautiful with the old brick. We received a room on the second floor with our window facing Gurley Street. This was an issue for us as it was very noisy...not necessarily traffic noisy as much as it was people noisy. There was a bar/pub right across the street from our room so it was noisy all hours of the day and night. The room was...well, historic. TV was outdated (not that we used it much), carpet was old, furnishings were old and the bathroom reminded me of an old mobile home bathroom. Just enough room for one person. I knew this place was outdated when I noticed an electrical outlet attached to the light fixture in the bathroom. Our overall stay here was nice and the staff were all extremely friendly. If you're looking for historic, this is it! It was by no means the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in but if you're looking for a historic visit to a hotel, I would pick this one. Maybe request a room away from Gurley Street or Whiskey Row if you're looking for some peace and quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cave Creek, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The only place I would stay while visiting Prescott. Love this historic hotel in downtown Prescott,like the rooms that face the plaza as we like to be in the center of the action on Whiskey Row. The rooms are the perfect size for a nice weekend get away and are always clean. The bathroom is quaint and clean and the corridors are always kept neat & clean. We love the historic charm of the old fashioned elevator, it adds the character that we expect when visiting the hotel. The staff is absolutely AMAZING, very friendly, and accommodating. The rates are reasonable for a hotel right on Whiskey Row. The hotel provides a discounted breakfast coupon at their adjoining Bistro St. Michael.

Room Tip: Do not get a room that backs up to Matt's Saloon
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here every time we come to Prescott starting way back in 1994, and while yes I agree some updates would be nice such as the TV's and the beds including linens, We wouldn't stay anywhere else. The staff is always so accommodating and friendly especially on this last trip the 2 gentlemen working when we arrived and whom we spoke to over the course of our stay were great even going so far as to keep me company while I waited for my husband to run to the parking garage. I’m sorry to say that I can't remember their names to pat them on the back in this forum I will thank them again in person. We stayed recently on May 19 and already have booked for Labor Day weekend and can't wait. Again my favorite and only place to stay in Prescott!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hotel St. Michael is our favorite place to stay in Prescott. The hotel is historic, quaint and full of charm! We personally like the rooms that face the plaza as we like to be in the center of the action on Whiskey Row. The rooms are the perfect size for a nice weekend get away and are always clean. The bathroom is quaint and clean and the corridors are always kept neat & clean. We love the historic charm of the old fashioned elevator, it adds the character that we expect when visiting the hotel. The staff is absolutely AMAZING, very friendly, and accommodating. The rates are reasonable for a hotel right on Whiskey Row. The hotel provides a free FULL breakfast at their adjoining Bistro St. Michael. The breakfast is delicious, the portions are plenty and the service is great. It is very rare to find a hotel that includes a free FULL (eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast, coffee) breakfast with each night's stay. We love how close the hotel is in location to all of the shopping, restaurants & bars on Whiskey Row. Everything is in walking distance. We look forward to our weekends in Prescott, more specifically at Hotel St. Michael. We park the car & don't drive again until we check out. If you are looking for historic charm & quaintness then I highly recommend Hotel St. Michael. We won't stay anywhere else when we visit Prescott!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple