“Great stay!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in Prescott
Hondo
“Great stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were so glad when we checked in what a wonderful charming place. Warm and cozy with a fire burning . The font desk was friendly and willing to go over and beyond. We stayed Three nights and wished we could make it more. We will return in the future. The hotel has great food. We had room service and in hotel restaurant eating. Love this place.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor had a great view the decor is so romantic.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Thanks to Karen at the front desk, we had a lovely room in this historic hotel. From the bowl of marshmallows by the firepit (with roasting sticks) to the holiday decorations, this hotel is worth a stay. We liked it so much we invited all our Prescott relatives to join us for breakfast. Nine of us descended with no reservations and were treated grandly. Thanks to such a gracious staff.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I returned to the Hassayampa over the holidays with my husband and teenage daughter after a wonderful stay by myself last year. I love the location and charm of this historic hotel. I decided to spring for a suite this time so the 3 of us would have plenty of room. I was disappointed in the suite for 2 reasons: 1) both rooms were very small and 2) the sitting room remained quite cold, even when the bedroom was comfortable (I did mention this to the front desk). We had intended to stay again 3 days later when coming back from the Grand Canyon, but the rate for the room doubled (due to a weekend) and I couldn't justify the suite price, so I canceled. instead, we stayed 3 blocks over at a clean, large, comfortable chain suite for less than half the cost and enjoyed our stay.

When I come back alone, I will definitely return to the Hassayampa (for the location and charm), but I will pass when I have family in tow.

Room Tip: Regular king rooms are nice for 1 or 2 people. King suites are small for more than 2 people.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel has a past, from 1927, all restored, but there are changes from the original design. What's good about the location is that it's central to downtown and only several blocks away from local restaurants and the infamous, Whiskey Row! Supposedly, there's a ghost, perhaps one floor up from where our room was. We enjoyed the beautiful lobby and the room we had was adequate, but small, proper for the era, kept very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful with questions regarding local attractions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is perfectly located great lobby design, the room was unique very comfy bed. A very nice restaurant food was simply super tasty and portions were big. The staff was so friendly, helpful and kind that it made our evening really special. The food was EXCELLENT! Parking in front of the hotel. Great value and an excellent place to have a nice evening and enjoy incredibly good food! Would definitely go back!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We enjoy staying at places that are not part of a big chain where you know what to expect. This place was unique in its atmosphere and hospitality.
The four of us had Christmas Eve dinner at peacock room and you could not have asked a more pleasant evening. Food was fantastic and service was great.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I checked in here Christmas Eve for $129. Great price. The hotel is beautiful, historic and in a great location. There are a few things that could use a remodel (carpeting etc..) and rooms are on the small side, but it is a historic building so I don't mind that. My problems were with the customer service.

The room was purchased by someone else, who did so on the phone and inquired about the breakfast and was told it wasn't included. After some discussion, the person paying for the room was under the impression that the hotel was throwing in a complimentary breakfast for good measure. I also requested a late check out.

I was issued a "traveler's package" coupon with an extremely limited menu (about six choices) to use for breakfast. I went down to breakfast Christmas morning and was greeted with the usual "Merry Christmas, two for breakfast?" although I was the only one standing there.

"Just one."

"Just have a seat and we'll get a table ready. Do you have a reservation?"

"No, I didn't know I needed one. I just have have this breakfast voucher." They asked me again to have a seat, and as I waited (there were plenty of tables open since it was not busy), they seated another couple who did not have a reservation either. When they did seat me they asked twice more if there was another person with me. First rule of customer service: don't call attention to someone dining alone, particularly on Christmas! Especially not three times. Breakfast was good: scrambled eggs, hash browns, toast, and bacon was my free selection.

I was in the bathroom in my room at 11:15 (I requested late checkout at 12) when the staff entered my room. I shouted through the door twice that I was not ready yet. Then I received a phone call reminding me that check out was at 11. I reminded them that I requested the 12pm late checkout and that I was on my way down. Of course, what appeared on my charge was a $15 breakfast. There is no way that I would have spent $15 on eggs and bacon and waited as long as I did had I known this.

The manager explained to me that a breakfast package was added and that the person paying must have meant that it was complimentary TO ME. She briefly explained that they have breakfast packages (which make no sense, why wouldn't I just buy off the menu? It would be cheaper and there were more options). The person paying was pretty clear that a complimentary breakfast - as in the hotel was payingfor it - was included.

Regardless, she should have removed the breakfast because of the confusion. I was never informed of this package program. It was never made clear to the person paying either. I wasn't going to argue on Christmas but any hotel focused on customer service would have done so.

I write for a couple travel websites and was going to pitch an article to my editor and include the hotel, but now I think I'll try one of the others in the area. I figured I would at least include my scattered thoughts on the service I received. The hotel itself is quite charming, the manager not so much.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay at the Inn. Your critical feedback helps us improve our service and is appreciated. I apologize for the confusing “breakfast package.” I’m sure that your Christmas morning would have been better spent enjoying a delicious meal followed by a relaxing late check-out than dealing with unexpected charges on your bill. The manager on duty should have removed the breakfast charge. Again, I’m sorry that the situation was not handled properly. We appreciate your business and hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Been to Hassayampa Inn? Share your experiences!