“Stayed on Christmas Day” 5 of 5 stars

Hassayampa Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 East Gurley Street, Prescott, AZ 86301   |
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Phoenix, Arizona
“Stayed on Christmas Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is perfectly located great lobby design, the room was unique very comfy bed. A very nice restaurant food was simply super tasty and portions were big. The staff was so friendly, helpful and kind that it made our evening really special. The food was EXCELLENT! Parking in front of the hotel. Great value and an excellent place to have a nice evening and enjoy incredibly good food! Would definitely go back!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We enjoy staying at places that are not part of a big chain where you know what to expect. This place was unique in its atmosphere and hospitality.
The four of us had Christmas Eve dinner at peacock room and you could not have asked a more pleasant evening. Food was fantastic and service was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I checked in here Christmas Eve for $129. Great price. The hotel is beautiful, historic and in a great location. There are a few things that could use a remodel (carpeting etc..) and rooms are on the small side, but it is a historic building so I don't mind that. My problems were with the customer service.

The room was purchased by someone else, who did so on the phone and inquired about the breakfast and was told it wasn't included. After some discussion, the person paying for the room was under the impression that the hotel was throwing in a complimentary breakfast for good measure. I also requested a late check out.

I was issued a "traveler's package" coupon with an extremely limited menu (about six choices) to use for breakfast. I went down to breakfast Christmas morning and was greeted with the usual "Merry Christmas, two for breakfast?" although I was the only one standing there.

"Just one."

"Just have a seat and we'll get a table ready. Do you have a reservation?"

"No, I didn't know I needed one. I just have have this breakfast voucher." They asked me again to have a seat, and as I waited (there were plenty of tables open since it was not busy), they seated another couple who did not have a reservation either. When they did seat me they asked twice more if there was another person with me. First rule of customer service: don't call attention to someone dining alone, particularly on Christmas! Especially not three times. Breakfast was good: scrambled eggs, hash browns, toast, and bacon was my free selection.

I was in the bathroom in my room at 11:15 (I requested late checkout at 12) when the staff entered my room. I shouted through the door twice that I was not ready yet. Then I received a phone call reminding me that check out was at 11. I reminded them that I requested the 12pm late checkout and that I was on my way down. Of course, what appeared on my charge was a $15 breakfast. There is no way that I would have spent $15 on eggs and bacon and waited as long as I did had I known this.

The manager explained to me that a breakfast package was added and that the person paying must have meant that it was complimentary TO ME. She briefly explained that they have breakfast packages (which make no sense, why wouldn't I just buy off the menu? It would be cheaper and there were more options). The person paying was pretty clear that a complimentary breakfast - as in the hotel was payingfor it - was included.

Regardless, she should have removed the breakfast because of the confusion. I was never informed of this package program. It was never made clear to the person paying either. I wasn't going to argue on Christmas but any hotel focused on customer service would have done so.

I write for a couple travel websites and was going to pitch an article to my editor and include the hotel, but now I think I'll try one of the others in the area. I figured I would at least include my scattered thoughts on the service I received. The hotel itself is quite charming, the manager not so much.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay at the Inn. Your critical feedback helps us improve our service and is appreciated. I apologize for the confusing “breakfast package.” I’m sure that your Christmas morning would have been better spent enjoying a delicious meal followed by a relaxing late check-out than dealing with unexpected charges on your bill. The manager on duty should have removed the breakfast charge. Again, I’m sorry that the situation was not handled properly. We appreciate your business and hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was our special pre x-mas trip. This Inn did not disappoint us. First, when we wanted an early check in, "no problem." In fact, they opened the file before we got there and it was a breeze to check in. The manager, Michael, was great. He had just bought a wood fire pit to use in the fountain outside. It was so special to have a fire and he even brought marshmallows for us to grill. Now that is special.

The staff was extremely helpful. One gave us some history of the place (built in 1927). It has a haunted room. It seems that room is requested by many for honeymoons. One staff member came around the counter to show us how to get to a restaurant.

Advice, call the hotel direct and don't use the 800 number. We got a better deal talking direct to the booking staff at the hotel.

Room Tip: Call Hotel Directly for a rate, skip the 800 number. Room 403 was very quiet and had morning sun.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
North Shore, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The lobby of the Hassayampa Inn is warm and welcoming. Appointed with antique furniture, a fire burning in the fireplace, the setting makes you feel you have stepped back in time. The staff is friendly and helpful, and assistance with our bags and the elevator were readily available. Rooms are small and dated, but that is part of the hotel's charm. The location is superb - walking distance to Prescott's many downtown shops and restaurants. The high point of our stay was breakfast in the dining room - an elegant setting to start the day. The food is excellent - fresh and well prepared - offered in generous portions. The breakfast burrito served with the hotel's signature grape salsa was impressive. Omelettes are fluffy and well stuffed with many options for fillings. I wouldn't hesitate to return for an overnight stay, dining or both.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
phoenix, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This hotel is a pure gem. Staff is warm and friendly, rooms are clean [just the bathroom are a bit small, but being it is a historical hotel, understandable]. Right downtown by the square and Whiskey row. The restaurant has the best dinners and breakfast. The romance packages are well worth the price. We stay here every time we are in Prescott.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I love old hotels. But I also love quiet, convenience, and efficiency. My room here was dark with oak furniture and rather small. The toilet/shower room was probably added a number of years ago at a minimum expense. The sink was a couple of feet from the bed. The door had a gap around the moldings which let in hallway light and noise (though the hotel was quiet on the night I stayed). If you have a lot of luggage, you must transfer from one valet cart on the lobby level, to one on the first floor. There was one person on duty at reception, who often was not there when needed because he was tending to other duties. No menu in the room for room service, nor at the 'bellhop' station in the lobby. An answering machine picked up when calling the restaurant to place a room service order; so had to track down the receptionist to order. It's too bad the owners haven't put an investment into updating this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hassayampa Inn? Share your experiences!