“Excellent Special Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan's Steak & Chop House

Donovan's Steak & Chop House
3101 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85016 (Camelback East)
(602) 955.3666
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Donovan's Steak & Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #183 of 2,595 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Cross street: Camelback & 31st
Description: Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer.
Mesa, AZ
“Excellent Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The service, from the time we walked in the door until we left, was outstanding. The staff has been very well trained and takes customer satisfaction to heart. The atmosphere is definitely high end steak house, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. We both had the Filet and it was flavorful, tender and done exactly to order. It comes with a choice of potatoes and a vegetable mix. The Au Gratin potatoes were delicious and the vegetables were done al dente which is how I like them. All parking is "free" valet, however, don't forget singles for the tip. This is a great place to celebrate special occasions, or just indulge in some great beef.
RichH

Visited July 2013

Phoenix, Arizona
“Romantic Atmosphere, Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked our reservation with Donovan's in celebration of our third anniversary together using the Open Table app that is built into their website where I included a brief note that it is our anniversary. When we arrived at the restaurant, we grabbed a drink at the bar (it was happy hour pricing) and then we were shown to our table which was adorned with red rose petals.

Everyone who visited our table that evening congratulated us on our anniversary.

We enjoyed their bacon mac n cheese, their house chop salad, and their rib eye steak.

We were all set to order dessert when our service staff delivered a complimentary Creme Brulee that was simply divine.

All in all the food and the service was excellent. Definitely worth the trip.

Today I received an email thanking us for our visit and again wishing us happy anniversary. It does not get much better than the total experience that is Donovan's Steak and Chop House.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Birthday dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Loved the atmosphere and the service was outstanding. Pricy but for a special occasion it was worth it. The food was excellent.

Visited June 2013
Cotopaxi, Colorado
“Bland steaks in an upscale setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

When I review a chain steak house like Donovan's I compare it to those other restaurants offering $40 to $50 steaks like Maestro's, Capital Grille and Ruth's Cris. Unfortunately, Donovan's wasn't quite in that category.

First, there is the mandatory "free" valet parking which meant that we had to hunt around for change since were weren't going to give them a twenty. That's a ding against service, because it isn't. So, if you do come here, bring some ones. And prepare to stand a bit in the hundred degree heat (this was in the evening) while they are getting the car of the party ahead of you.

Inside, we were greeted and shown to our table. The staff was friendly and we were seated immediately. Another minor ding on them was that they did not have white napkins for light colored outfits. The ambiance was dark wood, white linen, black napkins. Fairly typical. The serving staff was knowledgeable and not too pushy. They kept our water filled but another ding. The water is served in wine bottles. While this looks cool, it means that there is no ice with the water and we drink a lot of water. It ended up very European, just semi cold water since the bottle was left on the table. To quote Glenda Jackson, "an American without ice is unthinkable."

So, on to the important part, the food. First, the bread came out. It was a loaf of sour dough but it wasn't hot and didn't have any flavor. My wife ordered the salad while we both ordered the 8 ounce filet. She ordered her's well done. They butterflied it for her (checking before hand). I ordered mine medium. Both plates came with a vegetable medley and potato at no extra charge. We both picked the potatoes au gratin. My wife reported that the salad and vegetables were good. Her steak was cooked as she requested but mine was odd. When I cut into it from the one end, there was no pink, which I don't consider medium but medium well. I didn't think much of it but as I kept cutting, it got redder and redder to where the other end was red and a little blood, which I consider medium rare at best. I had not seen this before, especially in an 8 oz filet. I didn't realize that was possible. We both agreed that the steaks were bland.

Finally, we had to wait at least fifteen minutes for the check. Even though the restaurant was a third full and there were two people assigned to our table, the service was slow. We did have a Living Social coupon, which took forty dollars off. This is why we gave it four dots for value otherwise we would have overpaid. Other wise, three dots for everything. It was an underwhelming experience, with the boring food and slow service. We won't go back and suggest you look elsewhere.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Nice steak...average on all other accounts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This past weekend we were celebrating my birthday with a little staycation up the road at Royal Palms and since I had read this place had the best steaks in Phoenix, I decided to give it a try since I love a good steak on my birthday. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a filet snob since I grew up in the midwest and we have some of the best steaks I've had anywhere in the world. I drive by this place all the time and its outside apparence looks like a typical, run of the mill steakhouse but when a Living Social deal was offered, it prompted us to give it a try and I thought maybe the inside had something great to offer.

We called several times the day before to try and change our reservation time but only got their answering machine on a Sunday. I doubt they were closed so I'm not sure what was going on with that. We decided the original time worked for us anyway so we made our way there.

Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly and welcoming valet. When we stepped inside it was a tiny bit of a let down. It was the standard, dark wood, white table cloth steakhouse that looks just about every other one I've been to. The reception staff was very friendly and one woman happily agreed to take our picture while the other hostest went to check on our booth. She returned shortly and took us to a booth without any waiting. While I'm not found of the U shaped booth that's always awkward to sit in, no matter how many are in your party, it was pretty comfy and we settled in.

Our team of servers were nice and prompt with water, bread and telling us about the specials. No one ever asked if we were celebrating anything special so it never came up that it was my birthday. It was nice to see that the potato and vegetables were included in the price of the steaks rather than al a cart. Other sides were average priced for a steakhouse at about $11-15 I think. I opted for the 8oz filet, medium, with a baked potato and requested that I substitue my vegetables for a side of creamed spinach. Unfortunately they couldn't accomodate a direct substitution so we ended up paying for a full side of the spinach and also of the Mac N Cheese with bacon. My fiance ordered the cajun ribeye.

The bread and butter were good, but nothing extraordinary. When our dinner arrived, it looked really good. Instead of loading the potato in the kitchen, the waiter had a server with all the potato toppings and offered as much butter and sour cream as I wanted, nice touch. The sides of spinach and mac n cheese were big portions and looked delicious. My first cut into the steak was perfect and it was perfect throughout. While the tenderness was superb, you could cut it with a fork, and the flavor was good, there was nothing that set this apart from the rest of the other steaks you can get elsewhere like a Ruth's Chris or Capital Grill. Luckily I went all out on the sour cream for my potato because otherwise, it was very dry. The creamed spinach was really good but I didn't care for the mac n cheese. It seemed a bit dry to me and the bacon bits on it almost tasted like Bacon bits from a can. I would have preferred Velvetta shells and cheese to this. My fiances ribeye was also cooked perfectly and the taste I had, it was really good. The staff continued to check on us through out the meal and we opted not to order dessert because we were so full.

There was no issue using the Living Social deal and the meal ended up costing about $100 with the deal pricing. Overall, good service, good steak and average sides. The ambiance was standard steakhouse with little to differentiate itself from anywhere else. Our meal was good but I don't think I'd ever come back.

• Visited June 2013