“Hard to find. Easy to love” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fuego Bistro

Fuego Bistro
713 E Palo Verde Dr, Ste D, Phoenix, AZ 85014-2598 (Camelback East)
+1 602-277-1151
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 2,426 Restaurants in Phoenix
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Phoenix, Arizona
“Hard to find. Easy to love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is one of my fav places. Don't be confused with their other outlet Fuego Taco. It's also good for more casual dining. Fuego Bistro is located on Palo Verde Dr.which is one street south of Bethany Home. When you turn east there is only a small sign with the address and you must enter a courtyard.
The food is fantastic. Two of their sides are the best cornbread I've ever had and Chipotle cream mashed potatoes. My wife loves the Jumbo Sauteed Prawns (appetizer) in a tomatillo avocado sauce and a chipotle guajillo sauce with mango fruit chutney. I think the best dinner is the Fuego Seafood Chile Relleno : a signature dish; scallop,shrimp, and Mahi Mahi stuffed in a jumbo Pasilla pepper with a panko crust and a lobster chile cream sauce. At $20-$25 a meal you may consider it pricey but the portions are huge. The drinks are also great and they have a happy hour T-Sat. There is also a Groupon that is such a deal. Everything I've had here is great with one exception...the Red Sangria is one of the worst I've had. Maybe too much club soda and no sweetness, almost bitter. Another thing they charge $5 for splitting a meal :( So my wife orders an app for her meal and I order a dinner and we share to avoid the $5 charge which I think is silly. Believe me their portions are huge, you will be filled or maybe you will have room for their key lime pie or banana burrito dessert

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Hole in the wall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Everything we had was very good with great flavor. This is one of my wife's favorite places to eat. I had the Seafood relleno and is was awesome. My wife had the short rib and the grandaughter had the fish tacos and both loved it. Dessert we shared the Banana burito and that is worth the trip by itself. I, Incedently cook for a living as a Chef de Cuisine at a high end resort and your food can stand up with the best of them.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Outstanding tucked'in secret place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

OK -- the pulled pork dinner was off the charts delicious -- so were the pork nachos. Everything about this tiny place that had to expand next door is top notch . . . . . menu, food, service, atmosphere. A really fun, different place for a great meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Huge portions in tiny 'hood spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This tiny bistro has a lovely outdoor patio for dining in nice weather IF you can find the place. The entrance is inside a courtyard, and only one small "tent" sign at the street gives you any indication where it is. Once inside the small bistro is decorated in lively colors and artwork (for sale). The ambiance is casual and attracts a wide range of ages.

The menu has a variety of things from chicken to slow-cooked pork to beef, and all entrees come with a wide choice of veggies. Portion sizes are huge. And the veggie sides are huge as well, and all extremely fresh and tasty. The slow-cooked pork was delicious, as was the night's special - a pounded chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese, apricots, apples, sun dried tomatoes, & more.

The chocolate ancho chili torte was good, but lacked a chili kick. In fact, nothing was too terribly spicey so you need not fear the heat.

FULL bar, and I do mean full because they seemed to have every liquor you could imagine. Mojitos are a house specialty. They also had a wide selection of wines by the glass or bottle, and reasonably priced (by restaurant standards). Wait staff was exceptionally friendly and attentive without being obtrusive.

This was our first visit and we were pleased. We'll look forward to going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Food and Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't heard much of Fuego Bistro but knew where it was and wanted to give it a try. Wow were we surprised!

The atmosphere at Fuego is great! Very small an intimate, with local art hanging around the room. The staff was extremely friendly as well. We were greeted right away and seated. Our server made the special sound so delicious we couldn't resist!

We had chicken stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, shrimp, and covered in a red cheesy sauce with a small amount of spice. It came with two sides...I had the green chile corn bread and a jalepeno creamed corn. It was amazing!

The staff all helped each other and made sure we were well taken care of. We will definitely go back to Fuego Bistro and pay careful attention to whatever special the chef comes up with!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere