“2 years time; How did it get this bad?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11211 North Black Canyon Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85029   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #93 of 175 hotels in Phoenix
Portland, Oregon
“2 years time; How did it get this bad?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My review of this place over 2 years ago was raving over this place; but this time, I was so disappointed and shocked that I felt like I had gone to the parallel universe's version of the place. To be fair, it seems they are really trying to upgrade and improve in some ways such as the outdoor areas such as the pool and balconies, but during such improvements, they should not be putting guests in to very substandard rooms. My partner and I booked this stay through Price-line this time, and wonder if this was the reason we were given such a bad room. Some hotels tend to dislike not getting direct bookings as Price-line is a "prepaid" reservation and the hotels have to depend on filing paperwork to retrieve their share of the room rate.

Our original room was #166, 2 standard beds, kitchenette, and sitting area. The mattress' were covered with protector bags that were over-sized and drooping too the floor under the sheets which were put on the beds inside out, and poorly as the bed was very puckered and wrinkled when we pulled the blankets back to get in bed. The mattress protectors that were hanging out of the sheets onto the floor were covered in what looked like dried body fluids such as mucus, blood, and other unmentionable filth. The A/C unit sounded like a 50 year old Harley Davidson; the toilet rim and seat were not clean but streaked and smeared, and the hinges to the toilet lid were crusted with brown substance. To add insult to injury when I grabbed for a hand towel, it was very stiff and dryer burned with black kinky hairs stuck in the fibers.

We had checked in early at 1:15PM, but had been running errands after putting our luggage away, so we didn't get in to observe the room until after 7PM. This is when we were getting ready to get to bed early due to a huge move that we were in the middle of.

I called the front desk and told her our discoveries in the room, and she came up about 20 minutes later to see the validity in our complaint. She saw and documented on paper what she saw and asked if we wanted another room, and immediately we said, PLEASE! So she moved us into 168 which had been repainted and fixed up, and was much cleaner than 166 which still had old style furnishings and painted walls...

The bathrooms however in both rooms had substandard lighting because they had said there was an incident of a 90watt bulb being put in one's fixture and almost starting a fire, this per the maintenance man's comment when he came to take the lens out of our light so we could have a tiny bit more light. Anyone knows if you put a CFL bulb in these units that are about 12-16 watts, that they will not overheat and put of a lot of light up to 100 watts worth of incandescent lighting.

Sadly, I do not think we will ever come back here again. I was not only disappointed, but sad because of how nice it was while we stayed here the first time in 2010.

I hope for their sake that they can get this place pulled back together in a cleaner and more customer friendly way...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I just sold our place in az, and need a place to stay for awhile tell the cold weather changes in the north. We went to several extended stay places in this area. I have to say we were pleased when we decided to stop and check out the metro center extended stay. Staff was friendly, helpful, and the room was very nice better than other extended stays we look at. The Hotel staff also allowed us to look at several choice options before we decided on a room. Oh and the price was excellent as well. I also like that it had a sofa instead of one chair in the room I hate when one of us has to sit on the bed for lack of any place else to sit. When I first read some of the bad reviews my thought was we could not be staying at the same hotel. I can’t speak about the experience other guest have had but I can tell you ours was a very good one, and we will stay again. :-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
eindhoven
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Never seen such a dirty hotel, We had booked 6 days and after 1 hour regret. The place smelled like a cigar,The toilet is clogged with dirt....We were first 3 day in the Extended stay America hotel at the airport on oak street ,and this hotel was very good and clean.it is better if the manager of the hotel once traded with the other hotel to learn how to run a hotel.
I can not understand that the management of both hotels do not take action .....I do not recoment this hotel.

Room Tip: go to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

This was the worst hotel stay ever. You officially ruined me and my husbands vacation. The place smelled like a cigar and there was a pair of old broken eyeglasses in the bed. The bed had two poles hanging from it that we kept hitting our feet on. The water went to our anckels in the shower. The dishwasher ran water all over the floor and when I told the desk clerk, she gave me a mop. WTH? We had to keep hearing a knocking sound on the wall all day and all night from the flee dog on the other side scratching.The toilet was black and rusty at the bottom. The water took a long time getting hot. The couch had a stain on one of the cushions. And I had to pay $1 for each pack of coffee. And to top it off, the manger, Who we had to wait til the next day to complain to had a shirt on that looked like it came from the bottom of the drawer. Makes LA Exstended Stay look like Club Med. If anyone asked me about staying there, I'd say "DONT DO IT" Better luck at Motel 6. I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Make sure it's not at Metro Extended Stay
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Manager Kevin Butler and his staff were very attentive to anything we had problems with as in dishwasher, A/C, etc... Management worked a great price for our month stay while we looked for and purchased a home here in the city of Phoenix. Great location to restaurants as in Papadeaux's Cajun Cuisine, & TGI Friday. Rooms are not luxury, but very clean and adequate for a temporary living space while staying for a long period of time. Kitchenettes were very functional, fridge had ice maker, had a dishwasher and a 2 burner stove top.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Susanlarson, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Phoenix - Metro Center. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

First of all, the location really lacks any creativity. It's in the middle of a business complex. What is there to do but drive in the nightmare traffic, right next to the hotel. It's dirtiness, smelliness is just the beginning. Apparently previous guests urinated in the heating system so when you needed air...look OUT! Sheets, towels, pillows straight from dollar general so don't look for any comforts here. When I asked why we were given rooms with one bed instead of two, they said very clearly and bluntly... YOU BOOKED WITH PRICELINE, THAT'S WHAT YOU GET! so
buyer... BEWARE... run run run from here.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2006

The place as expected, king bed with full kitchen, everything is fine, we booked a room for 2 nites thru priceline for $25 per night so no complaining on my part. Room is clean/neat even tho close the I17 but no car noise as we can hear from the room.

• Liked — Full kitchen, close to highway/major metro area
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway

Address: 11211 North Black Canyon Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85029
Location: United States > Arizona > Central Arizona > Phoenix
#93 Top resorts Hotel in Phoenix
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Extended Stay, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HotelsClick, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay America Phoenix
Extended Stay Phoenix
Phoenix Extended Stay

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Metro - Black Canyon Highway, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.