“Functional with a few quirks” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   217 West Osborn Road, Phoenix, AZ 85013 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe - Phoenix - Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #128 of 175 hotels in Phoenix
Lake Oswego OR
“Functional with a few quirks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great location for us, and we like the room layout with the bedroom separate from the kitchen/living room area. Kind of a mini-suite. And the rate was competitive.

The quirks are things like chest of drawers that can't be opened in the two-queen room unless you were to move it or the bed. Little things like that -- ie bring your own shampoo. Also, It's a wood-frame building, so you can expect floor creaks, minor plumbing noises, etc. from other rooms.

The breakfast was underwhelming -- two kinds of small sugary muffins, and not bagels as noted on the web site. We skipped the muffins.

A couple of tips: 1. There's a Safeway three blocks to the west, which is handy if you actually do want to use the kitchen. 2. The building is "C" shaped. If we go back we'll ask for a room on the inside of the C -- it's quieter. We were on the back of the "C" and the hotel backs up to a Firestone tire shop. They their air guns and music going first thing in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Phoenix - Midtown. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Was switched to a smoking room on the 3rd floor, instead of the non smoking room that was reserved for me. I was told that the room had been deodorized. Room did not smell of fresh smoke, but when I woke up in the morning all my clothes that were hanging up smelled of smoke.I know there is another Extended stay in town that I have stayed in the past that the manager admitted to me that they did not really have any non smoking rooms, might be the same here. Then there was the carpet in the room, it turned the bottom of my white socks black in about an hour or moving around the room without shoes. I will be putting this Extended Stay location on my company's, do not book list. It was very close to where my project was taking place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Jeff - I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

As a company, our policy is to honor guest requests for non-smoking or smoking rooms upon check-in. With your room being switched, requests can be challenging to fulfill based on the property being at capacity or the lack of non-smoking rooms available. Regardless, each room is cleaned after a guest checks out and should not smell past that point. Please accept our apologies if this was not the case for you.

As well, our housekeeping staff strives to provide clean rooms for our guests. This includes cleaning them every 7-days, and in between upon guest request for a minimal fee, and after a guest checks out. Manager's then inspect each room, ensuring they are ready for the next guest to check-in. Knowing this, I have spoken with the staff and reviewed our cleanliness policies so this does not happen again in the future.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hopethat you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of months this summer. Initially there were lots of problems... no phones, no internet, A/C issues and I had to switch rooms a few times. All problems that were understandably beyond the hotel's control.

Once all that was straightened out, it got a lot better. Martha at the front desk, as well as the management team, are phenomenal people that went above and beyond to make sure everything went well.

There was a lot of construction activity (nothing noisy, it appears they were painting and replacing carpet) so I could tell they were updating some things. Otherwise this is a very clean and simple hotel in an ideal location near the light rail, Safeway, and Walgreens. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for affordable long-term accomodations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2012

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other brand locations.
Payson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife had to have surgery and we spent 2 days at St. Josephs. She booked a room ahead of time without researching it. I did check it out online and saw many, many terrible reviews with some extreme problems.

I was glad it turned out better than the reviews described it.

It seemed like a lot of work was recently done as far as painting. The lobby was beautiful and the elevator wasn't bad but when I stepped off (3rd floor) I noticed three things.
1. the carpet was extremely dirty / stained up.
2. It smelled "not good". (probably the carpet)
3. The walls & ceiling looked really nice as they had just been repainted.

The room was nice and it was clean. I checked for roaches because there were previous reports of them. Not a single bug in the room. I pulled the appliances out and everything. I didn't want to have a bug problem and take them home in the luggage.NO BUGS!
The room had a full size fridge, stove, sink, dishwasher, microwave and kitchen table.
The bed wasn't the most comfortable (hard) but the AC unit worked excellent which is a plus in Phoenix in the summer. There was a nice LCD tv and even a DVD player.
The stay was pleasant for 2 days and I was overall happy with the room.
The hallways could use some work but it really appears they are working on it.
Not a bad place for the money.
I had a smoking room and believe the 3rd floor is smoking if that matters to you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
Cave Creek, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at this property (Extended Stay Deluxe, Midtown) on and off for three months. OFF whenever possible, but it's so close to work the convenience of location brings me back to hope for a better, cleaner experience.

I have stayed in several different rooms at this ESD over time, and the following is what I have observed:
*Exterior looks ok, but when looking a little more closely, you'll notice the plants/flowers in pots around the front doors, pool, etc., are dead. I have never seen anyone water or tend to these huge pots, ever, and they are heaping with cigarette butts.
*The pool area is not tended to either. I've seen the same towels/trash, etc. on the ground for days. And junk in the pool and floating on the surface can be seen for days as well.
*Each time I check in, there are never the same standard supplies which are to be furnished by ESD: DVD Player; pots/pans/lids; dishes; cups; remote for the tv; glasses; A BLANKET! And I have only once had a bed which actually had a mattress pad on it beneath the cheap, thin, fitted sheet.
*Lobby, hallways, etc. are horrible: glass doors are rarely clean, and if there was an attempt made to clean it looks like a five-year-old took 10 seconds to do it. Carpets are stained everywhere, and even torn. And it smells like smoke, pee, vomit and very strong carpet fresh/febreeze.
*The card keys are constantly losing their programming, so you must go to the front desk to get new ones - better hope it's not after 10:30 pm, as they lock the doors and the phone they have hanging on the wall inside the airlock does not work.
*I have checked in and found food splattered/smeared in/on the microwave, food splattered behind the sink WITH CHUNKS! Little black hairs on the dishtowels folded on the kitchen counter that did not belong to me!
*The rooms themselves are furnished with super cheap furniture that is chipped, upholstery torn, white stains, carpet completely torn up where it meets the pergot floor of the kitchen - it's awful. There were five lamps in one of the rooms, and only one had a lightbulb in it all. One of the bathroom doors was BROKEN at the door handle. You could easily see the fracture line near the door handle that ran through the door. Given another slam it would have fallen off.
*In Phoenix you would hope the AC works, but in a few of the units there was a paper sign on the controls referring you to another set of controls that did not work. One time the thermostat was hanging off the wall.
*One stay I had a guest with me. While I was at work, she tried to prepare a meal using the stove, but the burners were not working. She informed a manager at the front desk (I had never seen him before, a hispanic male from the Biltmore property maybe) and he told her rudely she could not request maintenance to help her as her name was not specified on the room. It was in my name. After I notified them of the needed repair it still had never been addressed when I checked out.
Housekeeping and management of this facility are giving this chain a bad name/image.

Room Tip: Bring your own clorox and windex. And there is no housekeeping unless you pay $10. And even then t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Phoenix - Midtown. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate. We have a new manager starting at this property, and I have shared your review with her in order to correct the items you have noted.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Th room was filthy. The door handle to the bathroom was broken, so it wouldn't close. There was water damage on the ceiling of the bathroom. The lady at the front desk didn't know where anything was when I asked where a grocery store and the Phoenix convention center were located. I had a terrible stay and will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay Deluxe Phoenix - Midtown. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

tucson,az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

An improvement from last time is that I had a new LCD tv and the WiFi is now free. Very helpful. Staff is helpful and accommodating when something is requested.

Its convenience to St. Joe's hospital is my reason for staying here as I could actually walk to the hospital from the hotel.

Room Tip: Although rooms are supposed to be smoke free, obviously people cheat as I could smell smoke. I asked...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Phoenix - Midtown. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Midtown? Share your experiences!