“Elite Owners!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Mesa, AZ
“Elite Owners!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have stayed at the Legacy a number of times as a local elite owner. This was the worst experience ever at any Shell property.

To begin, I arrived early with the intention of hanging out at the spa until the room was ready. Four hours later I was still waiting. Never has this happened before. Usually within an hour or so the room is ready. It was just about 4 p.m. when I was checked in. So what is the advantage of being an elite owner???

Unfortunately, the spa was not functioning as it should----again! On one of my previous trips, when the front desk was trying to skirt around the issue of the malfunctioning spa, I quickly pointed out that this is Phoenix--pool shops are on every corner--repair it! Really, with the fees and costs associated with being an elite owner, the expectation is that the property is operating as it should be. Any guest would have the same expectation!

The night before I was due to check out, I called the Shell Elite number to arrange for another night. Done. I mentioned that, if possible, I would like to remain in the room I was in. Later that evening the front desk called to confirm. The following morning I went to the front desk to double check. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

I was not able to remain in my room, I packed up and checked out, and then waited until 4 p.m. to check in to the next room. Ludicrous! The front desk knew the night before that I was on the property, wanting to spend an additional night, and I was not checked in until 4 p.m.??? And, at check in I was asked to return the keys when I checked out of the first room. Again, the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, because I had already checked out and given them the keys to the first room!

During all of this, four of the six keys which the front desk gave to me did not work. And, as I pointed out to one clerk, I had just walked from the front desk directly to the spa, no cell phone or credit cards anywhere near the key, and the key did not work. (I did not want to hear, again, about keeping the key away from cell phones and credit cards....) Either they need new key equipment or they need to learn to use the equipment!

The shower of the second room had soap scum on two of the walls. Lots of soap scum, which I thought was part of the design. Unheard of. Typically, these rooms are spotless.

And, not only did I not receive the elite snacks and drinks when I checked into the second room, there was no newspaper the next morning, there were no sugar, salt or pepper packets--just an empty bowl next to the coffee. But, maybe those rooms only come with empty bowls, not salt, pepper and sugar packets?

Then there was the "owner's upgrade" experience. Too long to go into, but the concierge and the folks upstairs need to communicate. According to the concierge, "We (Shell) now talk to everybody," which meant that all of those qualifying questions were defunct. So, the concierge drew big X's through all of those questions, I made the appointment and went, alone.

Mistake. And waited while the mistake was deliberated and "resolved?" Bottom line, you cannot attend an update unless all parties on your contract are present.

Ridiculous. Every owner should be able to attend an update, especially now that Wyndham has purchased Shell.

Worst Legacy and Elite experience ever.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room at The Legacy for the night before my wedding and my wedding night. The hotel was very close to my wedding venue and looked very nice when we toured. The actual room was very large and it was perfect for my needs. The problem started when the front desk staff accidentally charged my debit card for my stay...TWICE! Unbeknownst to me, my debit card company suspected fraud and immediately froze my checking account. My WEDDING checking account. On my WEDDING DAY!!! As a result, the vendors that required payment on the night of my wedding (shuttle bus/limo company and cigar roller) could not use the card I had provided. They kept calling me and coming up to me during my wedding to tell me that my card was being declined. Of course that freaked me out because I knew I had plenty of money in there to pay my vendors. They even threatened to leave if I could not provide them with full payment right away! I came to find out what had happened later that night when I called my bank and then the front desk at The Legacy. So needless to say, rather than spend my wedding night with my new husband, I spent it on the phone trying to get everything sorted out. I was especially bothered to find out that rather than charge my debit card $441 like they were supposed to, they actually charged almost $1200 to my card. That extra money they charged (accidentally!) was on hold in my account for about 4 days. That's a lot of MY money that I had no access to for 4 days. All I wanted was for The Legacy to acknowledge that their error caused a whole chain of events that almost ruined my wedding. It was so stressful and I just wanted them to apologize or make it right. I have been trying to reach their guest services manager for 6 days, but my messages are repeatedly ignored and not returned! How terribly rude, unprofessional, and irresponsible is that? Do not stay here. EVER.

• Stayed March 2013
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This property is a little off the beaten path but has the feel of a small community. We arrived on a Friday evening and the place was bustling. Families walking around, lots of people at the swimming pool. There were some lines at check in, so we had to wait about 15-20 minutes before they got to us. The front desk staff was very friendly, apologetic for the wait. We got this room on Hotwire for $85. We were staying for 2 days and told that if we were to limit our housekeeping services (green initiative) that they would upgrade our room to a golf course view. We agreed and I'm glad we did. The view was great, and calming.
We received a studio suite and the room was luxurious. Fully appointed with stove, microwave, refrigerator, stackable washer/dryer and dishes. Living area with couch, coffee table, chair, small dining table and a sliding glass door with outdoor patio furniture to enjoy the gorgeous weather.
We will ABSOLUTELY stay here again and hopefully next time have an opportunity to take advantage of all the activities they have available here. Plenty of parking spaces, location fairly easy to find.
Only one con - our TV was old. Like from the late 90s and fuzzy - no HD here :-) Very minor detail unless we were going to stay in for the evening. Other than that, our stay was perfect!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Very well maintained property. Golf course in great shape and the one bedroom unit with kitchen saved having to eat out for each meal. Rates were excellent especially considering this was in season for the area. Also very close to Sky Harbor airport which was also convenient. Pool area also very nice.
Only need was for a daily paper which is typically supplied with most rooms I've booked at other places. Not even a paper box on property to purchase.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We used our time share here, but others have rented it weekly and it is really a gorgeous place.
The rooms, if you can call them that, are suites. All well done, marble baths with jacuzzi tubs and fabulous showers...in 2 separate rooms yet!
Only minor problem is the walls are thin......for a place this nice, you'd think they'd be better insulated , we heard clunking above us and the neighbors showering a couple times.
Really nice golf course, and a fine restaurant/bar to boot!!!! We saw gorgeous sunsets off the veranda, oh and a really big pool too!!!
You'll love it!!!!

Room Tip: Take the top floor unless you don't mind a neighbor above you. Lower floors have outdoor patio t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bowling Green, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Legacy Golf Resort this past Fall. It was our second time to vacation at the Legacy in the month of October. We have found Phoenix and The Legacy Resort in particular, a great place to escape the cool Midwest Fall weather. The resort staff is very friendly and efficient. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. We are not golfers, but enjoy the beautiful pool complex as well as the tennis courts. We have found Phoenix to be a very inexpensive local to travel around. The Metro System is relatively inexpensive. For two, week long, Metro tickets it costs less than $40. You can take a bus right from the airport, to the train and take a bus right to the resort. You can then utilize the Metro System throughout the week to traverse the area. Including utilizing the buses to shop for groceries or other necessities. No need to rent a car!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Rooms were very nice, grounds were well maintained, everything was beautiful, pool is wonderful, if I had anything I would suggest maids doing your room daily, we are on vacation, and it would be really nice to be able to check in your room a few hours early. 4:30 is late and we arrive early in the day, so we would greatly appreciate being able to check in early. We would like our bed made daily, not just clean towels. Great Vacation, looking forward to this year, going back to the Legacy!

Room Tip: Any room is great, we get a kitchenette with small dining and relaxing area with the deck!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Legacy Golf Resort? Share your experiences!