“Unnerving horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Tombstone, Arizona
“Unnerving horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We only stayed one night but it was unnerving. Started with two women next door who were in the "business". First thing that hits you is the stale smoke smell.
Nothing like the pictures on the site, small, cramped. Toilet had rust, no mattress pad, dingy towels. Then we opened the night stand and found used drug paraphernalia. A packaged of aluminum foil, squares of aluminum, cut straw and an empty drug pouch. I have pictures. The next morning house keeping knocks on the door and I showed her. She got a latex glove to remove it , applogized and never wiped the residue that was left. Checked out and got a half heart " oh, Sorry"
Never again will I stay there. Not even an offer of a refund! I sent an email to there corporate office.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were terribly disappointed in our stay at the Extended Stay Hotel. The room was bare-bones, to say the least... not even plastic cups for a drink of water. There was NOTHING in the kitchen... except what appeared to be mouse droppings on the shelf next to the microwave. The TV did not work upon arrival and the Wifi was weak. I requested a pen at the front desk to write a note and was told, "that is not standard... we do not provide pens". We are adventurous, mature travellers and have never experienced such dissatisfaction in our accommodations and service. Our room rate was expensive ($160) for such minimal accommodations. We will never stay in one of these hotels again.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport, responded to this review, yesterday
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that there were cleanliness issues in your room and that you were not informed of the amenities we offer upon check-in. The situation you described is unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have had your room inspected and deep cleaned to ensure your experience is not repeated. In regards to dishware, we no longer keep dishes in guest rooms for cleanliness purposes; however, these items are available at the front desk upon request. This allows our guests to customize their fully equipped kitchens with freshly cleaned dishes to fit their kitchen needs. To uphold our company’s high standards, I will make sure our staff clearly explains all the amenities we offer upon guest check-in as well as responding to guest requests in a timely and respectful manner. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at phx@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First off, I had no idea that this hotel is smoke allowing facility when I made a reservation two months ago. Upon arrival one night ago, we were put in room 301. As soon as we walked out the elevator and into the hallway of third floor, the entire hallway was filled with smoke. That's when I realized that we were on a wrong floor and in a smoking room. I went back to the front desk requesting a nonsmoking room and was denied because we were told there was none left. As if that wasn't bad enough, when we got in the room and found the bed lights were not working and towels in the bath room were filthy! Oh, they dog next door barked all night long, another shocking fact that I wasn't aware before, pets are allowed. One positive thing out of the bad experience was that I learned something new about this hotel chain and would not stay any of them again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Moscow, ID
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here one night passing through the area. I had a reservation. Late check-in was no problem. The room was clean and comfortable and quiet. Room has a kitchette, but they don't provide anything like plates, flatware, etc, until you provide them with a list. I guess that's ok and it helps keep the cost down. The downside is that they don't even provide a coffee-maker unless you ask, so there was no in-room coffee for my one-night stay. They have coffee in the lobby. No breakfast, but granola bars and muffins. However, the idea behind an extended stay property is that the traveler is staying for a while and stocks up on supplies and uses the kitchen in their room. That's how they keep cost down. Overall, I just needed a comfortable quiet place for the night and that's what I got, at a very good price for the area.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review of the Extended Stay Phoenix Airport. Please accept our apologies that you were not informed of our dishware policy upon check-in. We do provide dishes and coffee makers along with complimentary in-room coffee to each guest upon request. Dishes are no longer kept in guest rooms to ensure that the dishes are sanitized between each guest and to allow guests to customize their kitchens with dishware that meets their needs. Some guests may only want coffee first thing in the morning or all day whereas other guests may want to cook a full meal in the room. Still, we are glad to hear that we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay overall. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I will start off by saying run down is excusable, filth is NOT! We went down there for a baseball tournament and figured that we would not be spending much time in the room, thus we didn't want to spend a lot. I would have paid 3 times what we did in order to have a clean place to stay.

We arrived at 930 pm and we're given our room keys. The room was DISGUSTING! FECES and urine on toilet seat, hairs in sink and tub. The toilet literally looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. There was NO way I was going to use this bathroom! Onto the bed. The bedspread had stains. The sheets and mattress pad were also stained. There were crumbs all over the counter and dishwasher. Like seriously their cleaning crew must be blind!

I went to the front office and was moved to another room which appeared to be somewhat cleaner. We found two dirty socks under the bed and a dried, stained and unsanitary wash cloth under the sofa. Dust everywhere. The TV was wobbly and light next to bed didn't work.

Reading past reviews it appears as though management cares however they don't care enough to hold staff accountable and make sure they do their jobs.

NEVER AGAIN. The money that I paid was too much for this DIVE!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wouldn't stay here again for free.

From the minute we arrived to minute we left we were miserable. Staff was rude, room was terribly filthy and included a horrific funk. It was a hot day and the air conditioner could barely cool the room which made it even worse.

At 2AM I awoke when the air conditioner started to smoke and smelled like it was on fire. I quickly unplugged it and called the front desk. I was told there was nothing they could do because the hotel was sold out, except maybe come up to the desk for some febreeze for the smell. They couldn't even bring it to me. When I refused I was told to turn the air back on, make sure I didn't turn on the heater and to open a window. Well it was 80 degrees. I wasn't about to turn on the heater. But I wasn't going to turn the air back on either. The smell of burning wires with the funk of the room was horrendous.

BTW...I don't believe for one second that this place was sold out. There were maybe 15 cars around the whole building.

So now it's 3 AM and I'm standing guard against a fire or a straight up home invasion with the windows wide open in a very shady neighborhood, just so my wife could get some sleep, when one of those cars alarm goes off...Three times...Directly outside our window!

I could hear the car's owner going back and forth to look for something and it would go off every time. Not just the chirping of the locking/unlocking. No it was full on Armageddon alarm and it stayed on for a good 20 seconds every time. I'm pixxed and I'm ready say something to this guy. I look out and its the dude from the front desk. I was floored. I can only guess he was mad that I woke him at 2AM so he decided we wouldn't be sleeping either.

Needless to say we cut our stay to one night. I can't imagine somebody staying here for any extended period of time. Without question the worst stay I've ever had at a hotel of any level...and I travel often.

While checking out early next morning I tried to share my experience with the manager. She obviously had no compassion whatsoever. Seemed like she'd heard it all before and couldn't care any less.

Oh well, live and learn, I guess. But don't be a hero. Take my advice...The $20 to $30 dollars you think you're saving is not worth the grief of this dump.

No pool, No coffee maker, No hair dryer, No hangers, No ice machines, No fan in the bathroom...and no public bathrooms if you happen be a decent person and want to avoid stinking up the room for your roomates. The free WiFi was weak at it's best...unless you want to pay for a boosted signal of course.

Just an all around stink hole.

LIFE'S TOO SHORT! BE HAPPY! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels and for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. The situations you described during your stay are unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for your experience. The cleanliness and maintenance issues you mentioned are truly regrettable, and in response to your feedback I will be retraining our entire staff to make sure these issues do not happen again. I will also be inspecting all rooms and making sure everything is functioning properly so all of our guests receive clean and comfortable rooms. In regards to the service you experienced, I will be meeting with our front desk staff and discussing how guests should always receive professional and respectful customer service. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at phx@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Extended Stay America(ESA) has a wonderful plan to do away with frills like pool, health room, restaurant/bar etc, replace all that with a full kitchen in every room, call it a suite and charge significantly less than other hotels. Sadly at this location, too much has been ignored and allowed to deteriorate. Several years ago this hotel was a great bargain. This time, the air conditioning was inconsistent, the refrigerator didn't cool, the TV only had about half the channels working, a deskchair was broken and the woman at the check-in desk was minimally courteous. When I called attention to all these issues, several were promptly corrected. That was something positive! But why should I have to call the desk for silverware and dishes...and then have to go down to the desk to pick them up because the woman there was "so busy" that she forgot about my call. The bed was comfortable and the TV was large and new though with limited channels. But why did I need 2 desk chairs and no easy chair? Great idea, ESA, but this site needs lots and lots of help!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Thank you for completing a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you experienced maintenance and service issues during your stay. While I am glad that some of these issues were corrected in a timely manner, I apologize that our staff did not provide you with great customer service. In response to your feedback, we are working to correct staffing challenges by attempting to find additional help so that services to our guests are not deficient in the future. I apologize that it left you with a less than favorable experience. The reason why the dishes are no longer in the rooms is because they need to be cleaned and sanitized between each guest stay. There are no dishwashers in the rooms so it is done between checkouts in the dish area. I apologize that this is an inconvenience for you as well. Normally, we will deliver the dishes to the room but sometimes guests will come down to the desk and request dishes at that time as well. Moving forward, I will be meeting with our front desk staff to make sure they communicate our new dishware policy to our guests and deliver the requested items to guests in a timely manner. I'm looking forward to improving the quality of the hotel both in condition and service from my team. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport? Share your experiences!