“Not the worst, but definitely not the best” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Stay and Save 10%
Ranked #59 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Toronto
“Not the worst, but definitely not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My friends and I ended up in a two bedroom casita as a result of my booking error of another hotel through Travelocity.ca. (btw.: always double check your booking on Travelocity-it's a nightmare to have them change anything!) It was not a desired standard to start with, but I must say the casita arrangement worked OK. The bedrooms looked alright, nothing fancy but OK, each had a separate full bathroom which was important. There was also a powder room downstairs. The lower level made a terrible first impression on us, with its old, grimey looking carpet in the ugliest shade of dirty brown and dark (also brown) curtains that made the entire space gloomy and depressing. The entire complex is visibly dated and more on a kitschy side. I guess, it's a paradise for families with small children who enjoy the lazy river and other kid oriented "attractions". The spaciousness of the casitas plus the deck are a definite plus for families or groups. It certainly isn't a luxurious hotel, and if you think Hilton equals high standard, you'd be disapponted.

The location is not bad: close to the Scottsdale area, easy to access major roads. The housekeeping varied depending on who was on duty; sometimes it was great, other times very superficial. Very limited toiletries were supplied.The resort fee includes the WiFi access, but it is not clearly stated, so it appears that there is no WiFi outside of the public areas and that you need to pay for a connection. Ask for your complimentary password. The reception staff and concierge were usually kind and helpfull, although on the last day we ended up paying more for the taxi we asked them to call because they ordered some super SUV (and didn't tell us) instead of the regular one. As far as food is considered, I would not recommend any place within the hotel grounds. Really bad food.

So...if you want to make kids happy and don't mind older, mostly brown and musty smelling accomodations, Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak is your bet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello sferaverde, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our resort. Although you expressed your satisfaction with a few attributes including our location and the spaciousness of our 2 bedroom Casitas, I'm disappointed to know we weren't able to provide you a more positive experience. Guest satisfaction is essential so we value constructive feedback to improve the quality of our guest's impression. Thank you again for your time.
Teri Agosta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Mansfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I've stayed here a few times for a re-occurring industry conference that I attend annually. The hotel is OK overall, but I would probably not choose to stay there on my own. The rooms are clean, the grounds are beautiful, the staff is nice, and the lazy river can't be beat. The pool area in general is awesome. I've never done the family or kids activities, but they did have a nice schedule posted that looked like a lot of fun!

This past visit, they 'upgraded' me to a casita, which would be nice, except that I am visibly 7 months pregnant and my casita was the furthest possible point to any conference activities- at least a 20 minute walk back and forth in 100+ degree weather. Did you not see my huge pregnant bump? Why would you think that would be an 'upgrade'?! However- normally, I love to walk, and the casitas are large and quite nice, so I think if I wasn't so uncomfortable walking, I would have been thrilled here. So I'll counter this as a cranky complaint of my circumstances- if you don't mind walking in the heat and you aren't 7 months pregnant, this would be a plus. The bell staff was nice to come get me in their golf carts during the heat of the day, but I felt weird calling them all the time to drive me around.

Now, the bad. The food is TERRIBLE! On-site restaurants, conference (rubber chicken dinner) food, even breakfast yogurt parfaits- you can't get a decent meal here. There are decent restaurants within walking distance, but see item above- it was already an 18-20 minute for me to the lobby, then another 10-15 minute walk to an off-site restaurant. Normally, fine. This trip- ugh! And if you aren't a walker, or can't take the heat- this could be an issue for you to consider.

You have to pay for Wi-Fi in your room, which is ridiculous, considering the price of the hotel stay + resort fee is not cheap. Wi-Fi is free in the lobby. But then, if you are in the conference center, you need your sponsoring organization to pay for your Wi-Fi access and provide you with a password- the Wi-Fi that you already paid for in your room will only work in your room! This is just strange and annoying in 2013!!

Overall, I've never had a 'bad' stay here. This hotel just has some weird quirks that I would consider if I were looking to stay here on my own dime and with my own vacation time.

Room Tip: Have a rental car or some way to get food elsewhere. Food here is awful! A casita would be a nice...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello kgoldfein,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and observations. Your kind remarks regarding the overall atmosphere and service you receive is greatly appreciated. Please accept my apologies for not providing you a more positive dining experience. We consider comments, such as yours, when updating our menu offerings and quality of service. I'm also sorry for the distance your accommodations were from convention center, especially in your condition, but glad to know our team was happy to assist. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms, service and more.

CHECK IN: It was quick and I was accommodated with my request for a south pointe room - a must if you want to be closer to the pool. (She did not share the wifi details but a quick call resolved that). When I was walking to my car after check in, I was asked by a staff member if I needed help to or finding our room. (apprecited but not needed).

ROOM: The room was clean and spacious for our family of 3. The fridge was great and the 2 large tv's. It was a king room (but the bed wasn't much bigger than a queen) and only had 2 towels. I saw a housekeeper in the hall who gave me a generous stack of extra towels. Yes, the rooms are mildly outdated (mostly the shower area and curtains/art) but it wasn't the end of the world. Our room was cleaned promptly 1 day, late another and since we were relaxing, not one day (we were given towels and whatnot). Rooms were clean but not immaculate....
The bed was comfortable! (triple sheeted duvets). The pull out sofa wasn't awful. The plumbing was a little nosy from other rooms on occasion.

POOL: After reading reviews, I was super concerned about being able to relax by the pool. Our stay in late April had none of those issues! There were way more free pool chairs than taken. So much room to relax or swim. There were a number of pools and you were always able to find a great spot no matter the time of day.

LOCATION: It was a super quick trip from the airport (less than 20 minutes). Close to a Walgreens, McDonalds and several other restaurants. Free parking and never an issue finding a front row spot.

STAFF: I am a former Ritz-Carlton employee and have pretty high standards and I was pleased with the staff. At the pool, the younger staff moved around and tried to keep busy. The housekeeping staff, although lacking in English, were delightful.

(My daughter and I were tagging along with my husband on his business trip...)

Room Tip: south pointe tower if you want closer to pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Older facility, rooms show signs of tremendous wear, dirty. Housekeeping seemed to be very surface, bathroom grout etc built up dirt around floor. Housekeeping staff must be told to put minimum supplies(shampoo, towels, soap) in the room, had to keep asking for basics. Would not return. ATM was down and hotel would not cash check even against an American Express. Staff seemed uninformed about the facility, a lot of new employees.

Room Tip: beware of outside view, most rooms overlook parking lots or roof tops a/c, look out your patio door...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Hello J S, Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I understand that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of your guest room and am deeply disappointed by that. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that this area is of great importance to us as we ensure the comfort and satisfaction for our guests. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We picked this hotel because in a Frommers book it said it was great for kids and the water park was wonderful. If I went again, I don't think I would stay here but it was ok.

The hotel is huge - with different areas. A convention center is in the middle of the hotel as well which I didn't realize.

The water park is not connected to the hotel but across the large parking lot. Not a huge deal but I didn't realize running to the room would be a pain and it was for us due to where our room was. Also, they let non-hotel people come to the water park making it crowded on the weekends. Lastly, the food available it next to nothing and there are not enough waiters to handle the demand.

On the week day, the one water slide was off for most of the day. Therefore, my kids opted for the pool right by our hotel room. These pools are nice - the standard pool - and much less crowded.

There are no places to eat nearby really -- really you end up eating at the hotel the whole time which was just ok. Also, the food near the water park is not open on Mondays which was a little bit of a pain.

I did like the suite type room so that we could put the kids to bed and still be up watching TV. The room was a little dated but overall the layout was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello 2kidstraveling, Your feedback and observations are greatly appreciated. I'm glad to know you enjoyed your accommodations. It is disappointing, however, to know we didn't fully meet your expectations. I hope you'll consider giving us another opportunity in the future.
New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Carol Dixon at the Concierge of the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort in Phoenix AZ was instrumental in the positive experience in my stay there in April 2013. She is knowledgeable, resourceful, a good listener and cares about the guests. I was at the resort for a conference and had small open time periods to see Phoenix during my stay. Carol Dixon listened, was knowledgeable about the area and got me up to date useful information about each of the places she recommended. Even her recommendations were best things to do appropriate for my interests and time of day.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello Hema, I'm very happy to know your experience during your recent stay was so positive. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind remarks regarding the exceptional service you received from Carol. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
San Antonio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here for a business conference and loved it. Had a large comfortable room, easy access to pools and other amenities. Conference center area was convenient. Lots to see and do here - didn't even get the chance to try most of it.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort? Share your experiences!