“Not up to Phoenix standards” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Stay and Save 10%
Ranked #60 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Highlands Ranch
“Not up to Phoenix standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was not pleased with this property. We have stayed at a number of Phoenix resorts over the years and this (within the 4 star resort range) was by far the worst. Location isn't great, there are no trails or paths leading to the "mountains" in Phoenix. The rooms are old and rundown (musty smell). The courtyards and common areas are dated. The spa was anything but special. The meeting rooms were old and hard to hear in. The catered food was ok at best. There was no on property bar, one has to walk off property. The pool was not filled during my stay.

Room Tip: Just get close to the entrance as you can end up walking a long ways if you are in the back.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello tboz1976,
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations. We are always looking for ways to improve the on-property experience and reviews like yours give us insight for future discussions. We hope the next time you're in the area you will consider staying with us again.
Regards,
Teri Agosta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We took a quick weekend trip over President's Day weekend and stayed at this resort. The Bell Staff was excellent - assisted us to our rooms with luggage, hung up our coats, and offered to get ice for us. The pool facilities were excellent - opened from 10 to 5 - included an outdoor bar and place to get lunch, pools, lazy river, water slides, waterfall, water volleyball and basketball. It kept all of us busy for 2 days and we didn't ever leave the resort. They also had tennis and mini golf available and my husband and I took advantage of the tennis facilities and truly enjoyed ourselves while our girls, ages 8 and 9, participated in the Coyote Kids Camp from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It was $45 per kid which seemed on the high side but both really enjoyed it, even though they were the oldest ones there. The only downside to the resort is the food - the food onsite isn't 5 star food. It isn't terrible, but its not great either. The BBQ restaurant was better than Ricos, which didn't have great service. I thought that the pool restaurant was ok but my husband didn't care for it. The drinks there were good....although pricey.

We did eat at a restaurant around the corner called Aunt Chilada's (Mexican place) and that was better. Also, they do offer transportation to the hotel (not on their website) for a price so if you're not planning to rent a car, arrange transportation from the airport with the hotel. We thought we would just take a taxi and most of them wouldn't take a family of four. It was also less expensive to take the hotel transportation than a taxi, which was $38 with tip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I spent 7 days at this hotel on a work assignment and never once had a reliable wifi internet connection in my room or in the meeting spaces. In this day and age, I don't consider wifi a special feature, especially in a hotel that's charging 10 dollars a day for access. I couldn't read the news on my tablet in my room, couldn't skype with my children, or log in to my email. The signal dropped and required me to go through 3 pages of sign up screens over and over again. It was extremely frustrating. My room was in the center of the south building - perhaps the signal is better around the outside. In the meeting room, the meeting wifi cut off every few minutes and required me to put in our meeting code and password every time I needed to use my ipad. Needless to day, now that I'm back home and reunited with my steady internet service, I can submit this review.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We planned an overnight getaway for the weekend,but this was definitely not the place for an overnight getaway. The big attraction here is the River Ranch with the pools, miniature golf and lazy river. Check in is at 4 PM, but the River Ranch closed at 5 PM! It opened the next morning at 10 AM and check out is at 11 AM ! So for anyone staying for only a night this is pretty much useless.
When I complained I was told that we could stay after check out all day- not much of a help. We were able to extend our check out until Noon which means we did get an hour and a half at the River Ranch. On a positive note,the lazy river is one of the longest we have seen and the pools are beautiful. You can play miniature golf for $5 per person or pay the resort fee of $18 per suite ( The information regarding the Resort Fee is subtly place in the folder with your key) . The Hole in the Wall restaurant is a part of River Ranch and would have been a nice place to eat, but it was closed. The Rico Grill which has many of the same items was opened, but is more expensive. It was a major disappointment to find that the two major reasons for choosing this hotel were not opened any time when we could use them. The rooms however were nice as each room is a small suite. They are small however. The motel needs to do a better job of putting the closures of their main atttractions on their website. This would be a good place to bring a family for at least two or three nights, but if you are only planning on one night- stay away!

Room Tip: This is a large property so ask for a room that is near something of interest to you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I want to share with you our recent experience staying at the Squaw peak Hilton. Me and my wife and our three kids realy enjoyed this fun and relaxing place. We were referred by our friends visiting from New Mexico couple of years ago and boy were they right!
Greeted very warmly by Mike at the door and checked in by Sam who was very polite and thorough explaining the main amenities on the resort and gave us a very nice cassita by a private pool. Even though Rico's was the only restaurant open but the kids and my wife realy enjoyed their nice variety on the menu. The Lazy river was a lot of fun and they are right when they say its lazy!specialy after a couple of beers ...!!
Eric at the concierge had set a nice jeep desert venture for us and was very knowledgable about the city and all that goes on. We will definetly be back and let all our other friends know about this cool and friendly resort. A. Rodriguez

Room Tip: If you are going to stay with family , try to book a cassita.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Thought, for the $$ in off-season, we were getting an OK deal ($160-ish per night) on what would be an outstanding property. Such was not the case. No view of the rocks from our room, just a large cleared lot waiting for development. Carpet cleaners arrived to clean the lobby the first night, and it was so noisy we had to move our room late at night. Not what I'd expect from a Hilton. Because of the room change our room card was suspended, couldn't get coffee in the morning - but Mr. Bailey from Minnesota saved our sanity and paid it forward by buying our coffee! Thanks Mr. Bailey! We were compensated with a credit to our account for half a night for the inconvenience but, even with that discount, we were disappointed. The two nights here, on an AZ-CA road trip, were the ones on which we splurged on a really nice hotel. It wasn't so nice, wish we'd stayed elsewhere and saved a couple of hundred dollars total. On the bright side, we had an excellent tennis lesson at the resort from the resident pro, Paul, who is a great teacher and a super nice man. Tennis facilities here are good, and the main reason we chose this resort. The water park looks fun, and I can see how it would be a nice spot for families. Coffee shop and other staff were very helpful and friendly. Also, thanks to Carol, the concierge, who was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking anything but the area immediately in front of the front lobby.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Okay, first I want to say thank you for ruining one of the most important nights of my life. I made reservations for Rico's Grill last night, Feb. 14, 2013. I planned on proposing to the mother of my two children and went all out on this, buying her a dress and shoes. After being seated we waited for 15 to 20 minutes to even be acknowledged. We asked for 2 waters and possibly wine. We ordered our meals at that time as well. Waitress apologized for the wait as she walked off and we waited for another 20 to 30 minutes before we got up and walked out. While we were waiting, we watched as our so called "waitress" topped off everyone else's drinks in her section and checked on thier meals. Not once did she check on us. Normally I wouldn't wait that long, however I was being optimistic becuase I wanted to propose and depending on the outcome, get a room for the night. BUT NO, that was not possible and you can only keep someone waiting so long. It's not as I had time to re-plan everything and find a nice place to dine and stay last minute. I put a lot in to this and received nothing from it. We ended up eating at home like any other night, but that's just it. It's not like this was any other night, not even that it was a Valentines dinner on Valentines Day... I was planning on proposing. Thanks for nothing. Extremely upset and hurt by the entire experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Tyler R,
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel and restaurant. We cannot apologize enough for the poor level of service you received. It is my understanding our Director of Food and Beverage reached out to you personally to discuss the incident, and resolved the issue to your satisfactory. We look forward to providing you a more positive experience in the future.
Regards,
Teri Agosta

Been to Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort? Share your experiences!