“Everything you'd expect and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Palms Resort and Spa

You added Royal Palms Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5200 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85018 (Camelback East)   |
Ranked #3 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Everything you'd expect and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My Wife and I travelled to Arizona from 12th - 24th October 2013. We spent the first week in Clifton and then 5 days at The Royal Palms Resort and Spa. The resort is set back off of Camelback Road, Scottsdale. The setting is an old style Villa with lots of space to sit back and just relax. There is a nice size pool which never seemed busy and we always had our pick of beds. The staff throughout our stay were very attentive and rarely did we need to ask for drinks etc. On our first nights stay we ate in the restaurant T Cooks. The service was excellent, a very good wine list and great food. I had Antelope and my Wife had Salmon, they were both cooked beautifully with options for extra side orders of vegetables. Our room was very clean and comfortable. A very spacious bed and large bath. What a very relaxing stay we had and I'd recommend this resort to anyone that wants that little extra that you don't get everywhere else. One of the highlights was a glass of red wine at the end of the evening by the fire pits. Top class,

Green Features: The hotel appears very environmentally friendly as we were often asked for our trash so that it could be recycled.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Your feedback is very important to our efforts to continuously improve guest satisfaction: we strive to do the best job we can, and comments like yours make it all worthwhile. Thank you for sharing this glowing review of our landmark property and we hope you are able to return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Four years ago my husband and I stayed at Royal Palms. It was the best resort I had ever stayed at in my life. I have pictures up in my house to remind me of its beauty. We have been back to visit yearly and last year we stayed at Royal Palms again. While the beauty undoubtedly remains, the atmosphere has changed drastically. This was once a relaxing place for couples and vacationers, which has now changed its focus to market to business people and conferences. This resort is too small, quaint and intimate, to accommodate both business people and vacationers. Now the resort is overrun by business people in suits talking loudly on cell phones in every nook and cranny of the resort. Business conferences are no problems at larger resorts, but at this one its disturbingly noticeable. We could barely find a spot at the pool, because there is not enough seating and when we did, there were people standing around talking business on cellphones and it was not at all relaxing. My favorite place where I used to go and drink coffee and see the beauty of Camelback mountain, is now enclosed and turned into a space for more treadmills. This year we returned to Phoenix and stayed elsewhere. We decided to come and dine at T Cooks for breakfast two days as we always do when in town. We used to have the best breakfasts at T. Cooks. The southwest decor of oranges, greens and browns were relaxing, now changed to modern, non-matching chairs and colors. The breakfast foods of fully cooked scrambled eggs, mouthwatering bacon and white fluffy toast and/or southwest breakfast burrito (no longer on the menu) and hot illy coffee were spectacular. We wouldn't mind paying the high prices because the breakfast was that good. Now the prices are just as high and the breakfast is terrible. Runny eggs, weird tasting, not your typical bacon, burnt english muffins. Since I did not like that, the following day all I ordered were pancakes and coffee and they came out overcooked with absolutely no fruit or garnish to give even a nice presentation and cold coffee. A positive and always fabulous is the Alvadora Spa which I took advantage of the specials they were running. However, I have a feeling that the Spa may be suffering and not bringing in as much revenue because business people are in meetings with no time during the day for spa treatments. Lucky for me though I got the spa to myself. Yay! The price to stay at this resort is double that of many of the resorts/hotels in the area and for me it's no longer worth staying there, or even dining there. I will continue to visit the spa when we make our yearly trip to Arizona. So sad to see what's happened to what was once my favorite place in the world.

Dear Kristen D,
I am concerned to hear about your recent dining experience with us as this not the way we typically take care of our guests. Jenna Goss in Guest Relations (jgoss2@destinationhotels.com) hopes to connect with you at your earliest convenience to discuss the issues at hand. If for any reason you have any questions or comments in the meantime, do not hesitate to also reach out to us directly. I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are definitely doing something about it. Thank you for sharing these distresses with us and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed for a weekend following a conference in Phoenix. The grounds are just beautiful. An endless maze of adobe brick, plants, water features and fireplaces. from what we heard, all the rooms are pretty. We stayed in the Alvadora spa suite. It was enormous, with a separate living room/spa area for in room treatments, a bathroom with separate tub and steam shower and a full sized bedroom with king bed, desk and fireplace. The porch was the best part. Enjoy room service and take advantage of the views. Get a room surrounding the Montavista Courtyard with reflecting pools, fireplaces and views of Camelback Mountain. The staff, from the valets, to the front desk, to dining service to the pool area were all wonderful. Special thanks to Robin and Jerry at the pool, who literally run around to make sure your every need is fulfilled. And the food was delicious at every meal. See my review of T. Cooks. Its not a mega resort, but if you are looking for quaint luxury, this is the spot in Phoenix.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Valencia Courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m glad to hear you were able to come enjoy yourself at our property after a conference in the Phoenix area. We pride ourselves on anticipating our guest’s needs and it’s wonderful to find out our staff, especially Robin and Jerry had provided you with this experience. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us and we look forward to your return.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was my second stay at the Royal Palms after having stayed there years ago for another R&R vacation.

We loved our stay. Where to start? The grounds. The rooms. The staff. T. Cook's amazing culinary experience. The pool. The poolside service. The gym. The spa. It doesn't get any better

The grounds are as impeccably maintained as they were when I last visited. We spent a lot of time admiring the work of the landscapers who seem to be at it 24/7. A pleasant surprise was all the little rabbits popping up periodically on the grounds.

Our 600 sq foot room had the standard French doors out to the private ground floor terrace with private lounge seating. The full privacy of our terrace, much like all the other suites is what sets the Royal Palms apart. Nice touches like the down pillows and comforter, high thread count cotton bath robes, glass tile shower, private walk in closet, and the exquisite furniture were noticed and appreciated. All rooms are at ground level; no need for any elevators ever.

The staff is friendly without being intrusive. Poolside service was exceptional. Food a the pool bar was first rate. Nice of the attendant to always check up on our drinks and comfort.

The gym is functional, clean, and an upgrade over standard hotel gyms.

Loved our two meals at T. Cooks. I was impressed years ago with the quality of the food but we were blown away by the new menu and chef. Very inventive new menu. Brilliantly executed.

Lastly, the spa service was excellent. Massage was first rate. I appreciated the opportunity to soak in the hot tub before the massage.

Stayed at the Phoenician once but much prefer the Royal Palms for it's more intimate and dare I say more private and exclusive feel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
It was an absolute thrill to read this review! I take great pleasure in knowing you relished in all the details throughout our landmark property. I have also passed along your kind words to our Executive Chef, Paul McCabe, regarding your dining experience in T. Cook’s. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you again soon!
Silver Lake, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wow! My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We couldn't rave enough about this place! Upon arrival, driving up the driveway lined with exotic palm trees, twinkly lights and a beautiful fountain, we were warmly greeted by the valet attendants who were so accommodating, nice, chivalrous and helpful, always opening the car doors, taking care of the luggage, asking how we were and suggesting great places to visit. Everyone that worked here was absolutely lovely! Very warm, kind and helpful. Even the housekeepers and gardeners were welcoming and nice, always asking how you are and how your visit has been. When we checked in, they surprised us and upgraded us to the Presidential Suite because it was our honeymoon!! What a GORGEOUS room! Over 1000 sq ft, amazing architecture, many private patios with water features, fireplaces, outdoor shower, beautiful master bathroom, a second bathroom, cozy bedroom, livingroom, kitchen and dining room! They even had a complimentary plate of cheesecake and fruit with chocolate syrup that spelt out "Happy Honeymoon". The grounds were breathtaking with butterflies, humming birds and bunnies throughout the pathways lined with a variety of colorful flowers and greenery. This place has so many outdoor living rooms and pathways which makes it such a cool area to explore. It's very enchanting to walk through! T-Cooks restaurant was AMAZING too! The food was DELICIOUS and our waiter was very friendly. They even gave us complimentary champagne and a desert! We went to their restaurant the week that they reopened it from renovations and thought it was gorgeous inside with a tuscany feel. Royal Palms is located in such a pretty area, right in front of Camelback Mountain, and very close to Scottsdale's attractions. Although, the resort was so nice and relaxing, we hardly ever wanted to leave! It's such a beautiful place that is warm and rich both in architecture and the service! Very different from other 5 star hotels because this one is not stuffy. We would HIGHLY recommend it and plan on a second visit for our anniversary! Royal Palms definitely gave us a wonderful Honeymoon to remember!

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the resort are a lot more convenient since the place is so big. It's a bit...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I cannot thank you enough for your kind words! I've shared your comments with all of our staff, and I know they take compliments like yours as seriously as I do. It’s a pleasure knowing we were able to make your honeymoon a stay to remember. We are eager to welcome you back soon!
Londonderry, N.I
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed in Phoenix as part of our second honeymoon in April and chose the Royal Palms after some research. It was a dream destination hotel! The luxury casita room we booked was amazing! The bed was amazing, the decor was beautiful and the fireplace was just so cosy! Upon arrival we received a bottle of champagne and chocolates to help us celebrate our anniversary.

The staff were very polite and helpful with directions, hiring bikes etc. There was complimentary coffee and pastries to be enjoyed every morning before deciding what to do.

The hotel location is great, very private but central to the explore the city with great views of Camelback.

Cannot wait to revisit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I am thrilled to hear we were able to make your second Honeymoon so memorable! It’s great to hear that you not only enjoyed the property but also our staff. I truly hope you are able to come visit us for your anniversary or just because!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have been returning guests to the RP for the past 10 years - sadly this will be our last visit. In our view, the resorts' customer service focus has swung more towards catering for the corporate/weddding guests and in doing so has marginalised couples and stakeationers. We loved walking the beautiful grounds - however this trip; every time we took a detour to our suite, we seemed to"gatecrash" a photo shoot, corporate meetngreet or wedding party.
The pool from Fri onwards becomes a morass of "corps" who have checked out and are awaiting their plane back home; noisy bridal showers who dominate the pools' faciliites and bridezillas who "reserve" all sunbeds and spa appointments!.
Robin and her fledgling pool staff are doing a great job pool side - however the pool and cabana have exceeded their life expectancy, comfort, capacity and allure. The cabana is looking tired, dated and decidely scruffy. The 2 pock-holed "flaoaties"need to be dumped! It took several remarks to staff to ensure the ill located disabled hoist received a large blue cover!
We love the refurb of the bar area. Tyler, Charlie and the team of mixologists are making a good impact. We ate from the bar menu twice :- found the menusome what limited and lacking in options for the gluten intolerant.
MUCH hype has been given to the relaunch of T. COOK'S restaurant. In our view, had we have not been given a $50 voucher we would have been even more disappointed!
Yes, the ambience has changed : is brighter and has a modern edge to its rustic feel. The menu, we found to be limited, safe and lacking the wow factor. Beet salad app - tasteless tortillini/scallop entree ok no big deal, choc pate - EXCELLENT!
A suited MD wafted around and courted the larger "corp" party tables, yet paid litte and no attention to couples seated on the fringe of the restuarant. Even less to two men seated next to the servers door!
Similary Chef Mc Cabe made a fleeting front of house visit to a larger table - when we asked our server if we could briefly feedback our dining experience - we were told he was too busy to come out a second time! - The following dayWe did receive a half-hearted and ill timed apology accompanied by an unfulfilled "we'd like to make it up to you...." from Christain the suited MD - Too late Im afraind
I feel much work still needs to be done in this area if T Cooks IF it is to regain its crown of being one of AZ's top resturants - Missed a trick in not promoting the place/special menu during AZ food week, a late promo tweet isnt the way to go.
AS ever the boys at he valet parking were spot on;they rembered who we were, what our needs were and bent over backwards to help with shoppipng! Housekeeping was spoton, turndown staff are so kind and alaways have a smile
Our absence may not be noticed next year which saddens us - that was our main reason for retuning year after year - that personal touch - Sorry Mr Miller, youve lost 2 valued customers

Room Tip: Choose casitas over the cheaper corp Alvadora block of rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andi S,
Thank you for taking the time to write your concerns about your recent stay with us. Though these comments were hard to read I also know they are completely necessary so we can adjust and grow from these mistakes. I am aware you have spoken to our regional Reservation Manager, Hilary Beck Lawhon, and have decided to give us another chance. I would love for you to make any future reservations through myself or our Guest Relations Coordinator, Jenna Goss. I want apologize once again for the problems you encountered during your visit and please know we are taking action. Thank you so much and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!