“Our Kind of Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Palms Resort and Spa

You added Royal Palms Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5200 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85018 (Camelback East)   |
Offers & Announcements
Third Night FREE!
Ranked #4 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, TX
“Our Kind of Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I have always wanted to stay at the Royal Palms and finally we had the opportunity. I had high expectations and Royal Palms lived up to them. We stayed in an Estate Suite. It was roomy and comfortable.
We like paying a resort fee that includes everything including Wifi, Valet Parking, Fitness Center and Tips. Great idea I wish more resorts included tipping in fee.
We also like staying at a luxury boutique property with only 119 rooms. It is much different than large high-rise resort properties.
We have stayed many times in Scottsdale and far north Phoenix. We like this location better, especially for a weekend getaway.
The staff is well trained, helpful and friendly.
I give Royal Palms a big thumbs up and even though we can check it off our bucket list, we plan to return.

Room Tip: The Estate Suite was very nice and only a few more $ than a smaller room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg V, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback on your recent stay at Royal Palms! We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Scottsdale.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

From beginning to end everyone went out of their way to make your stay unforgettable. The property is a perfect setting for any occasion. I was here for business but will return for a nice romantic weekend with my wife.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Greg V, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for the kind words and please do return with your wife for a romantic vacation. We know she will love it!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Your really can't go wrong staying here, as long as you have money. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and for the most part, quiet. The food is top-notch for breakfast and lunches. Mainly buffet style as here on a business group event. Lots of variety and top taste. The desserts were not superb, but good. The pool area is smaller and there was some jack-hammering to disturb things. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. As usual in AZ, some lower end staff do not understand English, but this is no big deal. The only negative, is they know how to charge for a room ($$$$)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Royal Palms. We apologize for the construction noise you noted, as we were required to retrofit a piece of specialized equipment on our pool deck. This has been completed. We hope to see you again soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here last weekend for a 3 day weekend. My previous visits to the area have been to the Phoenician and to the Ritz - both twice. While those are good properties, I wanted to try something new and I am sure glad I did! The Royal Palms is more of a boutique hotel with only 119 (I think) rooms. When you arrive, you feel like you are arriving at a private estate. Turns out the hotel was built as a residence, so that explains it. Check-in was quick & we were greeted by name as we entered - not sure how they knew us? We were shown to our spa suite by a very talkative and nice bellman who shared some of the history of the hotel. Very informative. Our suite was nicely appointed - fireplace, balcony, minibar, refrigerator, living area, Keurig (nice touch), a soaking tub, separate shower, and large bath vanity. Our view from the second floor overlooked the reflecting pools. Our balcony was furnished with a table & 2 chairs. The sides of the balcony were walled offering privacy from next door neighbors; however, because of the shape of the hotel, you could see people on other balconies (not that that's a big deal to us).

The property is comprised of walkways and greenery mixed with reflecting pools, and little niches of benches or seating giving it a very lush feel. Kind of reminded us of walking around the grounds at the Beverly Hills Hotel. We were told that the hotel was filled to capacity but I would have only guessed it to be about 25% full. While the pool isn't huge, there were always plenty of chairs available as well as plenty of space at the small pool cabana restaurant - which offers a really good Greek Salad. The workout facility, which actually is made up of 2 levels, was never busy during our stay either. The bottom room held a couple pieces of cardio equipment as well as free weights, medicine balls, a bench & a universal machine. If you walked up the stairs outside the fitness center, there was another room filled only with cardio equipment -treadmills & ellipticals. I only used the treadmills. They are the Matrix brand and had TVs built in along with an iPod integration port. They gym did supply headphones, towels, and water as well as a bowl of apples. The gym is open 24 hours and is accessed by your room key.

We spent a day at the spa & I highly recommend it. Again, it's not huge, but it is more than adequate & staffed with wonderful & skilled professionals. I was told they were completely booked for treatments on that day but yet, I only saw one other person. I had time to steam and use the outdoor woman's only hot tub prior to my appointment and would recommend it if weather permits.

We visited the lounge and restaurant during our stay and found both to be quiet and intimate - perfect for a romantic evening. The lounge even had live music and was perfect to enjoy after dinner cocktails. We left property one night using the hotel's car service and dined at Mastro's Ocean Club. I would highly recommend dining there if you are a seafood fan. The seafood tower was to die for! Anyway, the hotel arranged private car service for us for only $50 each way - it was about a 25 minute ride.

I didn't see any families at this property, so I'm not sure if we returned, we would bring our young children. The hotel's vibe seems more of tranquility, relaxation, and romance.

As far as pros: the hotel itself is a perfect place for R & R and just to recharge and be pampered.

cons: the only thing I can think to say of a con is its location. Yes, it's in a good area accessible to shops and restaurants in Phoenix & Scottsdale, but it isn't in a good spot for walking & exploring the area. It is located on Camelback Road and has no sidewalk once you step foot of the property. We walked up Camelback Mountain one day & had to walk along the street outside of the hotel first & it seemed very dangerous - 4 lanes of cars whizzing past - while walking along the narrow shoulder. I realize that's not the hotel's fault; however, if you are like us, and like to have a good 3-4 mile walk in the morning, you should be aware of this.

All in all, a wonderful getaway & we will definitely return!

Room Tip: The spa suites were spacious & those on the second floor had beautiful views of Camelback mounta...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay at the Royal Palms. We agree that Camelback Rd may be a little too busy for runners but there are some excellent, quiet neighborhoods surrounding the property that are excellent. Please come back and see us again soon!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited the Royal Palms over New Years and it was just delightful. The rooms are very comfortable and the property is beautifully decorated. The rooms are spread out in several different buildings so it is a good idea to request if you want to have a room closer to the pool or spa, or a quieter room - like on the second floor in a building further away. It's nice that the gratuity is included on a lot of services - although you do pay an extra resort fee per day. The service is superb - whenever we needed our car it was running and waiting for us at the front. This is a great resort to go for complete relaxation. The pool (even in December and January) was heated and comfortable enough to go in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you! We are delighted to read your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Phoenix!
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We arrived for a conference, and were the last guests checking in that night, putting us in the end room right by the door. That in itself was OK, but I had a few issues with the room itself. The mattress was worn, with a big depression on either side of the ridge in the middle. The ceiling was thin and we were able to hear footsteps at all hours from above. The small refrigerator was very warm and I was unable to find a way to adjust it. Lastly, the arrangement of the room was not user friendly in that all the small double doors seemed to open in each others way.

On the other hand, the resort was very pretty with many little private areas, and the landscaping was pristine, with orange and grapefruit trees scattered throughout. The food served at the conference varied from OK to excellent, and I felt like that was more dependent on the conference organizers rather than the hotel itself. The service was excellent with all tips included in the resort fee, but we added a little extra anyway. The view of the nearby hill was also very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your recent stay at the Royal Palms. We regret that you found certain elements of your accommodations to be lacking - we are looking into the mattress situation, as all of our mattresses are replaced on a schedule that should keep them in top condition. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to improve our resort.
New York and Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My friend and I decided to go there to celebrate our birthdays, sans husbands and children. I flew into Mesa which is a very small airport and 45 minutes away, so I would definitely recommend Phoenix International. Upon arrival, there were 3 guys who immediately rushed to my car to take out my bag, open the car door, and direct me to the front desk. I was given a tour of the property and then taken to my room. There was a cold front when I arrived, so many of the plants and flowers were covered, but it was still breathtaking with a gorgeous view of Camelback in the background. There is an emphasis on indoor/outdoor seating so I will be returning when it is warmer. We booked a spa room which was large and well appointed with a veranda area with an outdoor fireplace, tables and chairs. The spa is outstanding!!! I cannot say enough good things about the staff and treatments there. I got the tempting trio which included an orange blossom body scrub (followed by an outdoor shower), a massage, and then a facial. Each was 50 minutes and worth every penny. There are a number of great restaurants (Mastro's City Hall, Wildfish, Olive and Ivy, etc) that are a 5 minute drive away so on a future stay I would rent a car and flip for who will be the designated driver. ;) While I didn't have time to do any shopping as I lived in the spa and restaurants, there was a mall 5 minutes away that had Barney's, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, H&M, Forever 21, etc. So, a good variety for different price ranges. We had a deal that included a $40 breakfast per person and the restaurant on site had a great range of food to choose from and was incredibly tasty with great service. Overall, I don't have anything negative to say. I will be returning with my husband..and a rental car. (Not sure how much it costs to park it on site, though)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing Royal Palms for your friends getaway! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be so conveniently located to all that Scottsdale has to offer. PS: parking is free!

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!