“Very pretty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Palms Resort and Spa

You added Royal Palms Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5200 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85018 (Camelback East)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria, BC
“Very pretty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a charming hotel, and the restaurant and bar just ooze style. This being said, I have eaten at many top restaurants internationally, and the food in the restaurant wasn't as good as I had hoped for.
The staff were friendly and helpful and our room was comfortable. I'd definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greg V, Director of Sales at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Royal Palms for your recent Phoenix vacation. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed along your comments to our managers so that we may continue to improve our offerings throughout the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stay in many 5 star properties. This is definitely one of the best worldwide. From the moment you enter the property, you are struck by the intimate elegance of the resort grounds. The staff was attentive from valets on. The gardens are simply gorgeous, especially with the fireplaces lit at night. The cocktails and food at T Cook's was divine and the romance factor was certainly enhanced by the incredible Dec weather in Phoenix.

Unlike other reviews, I had a fabulous spa experience. The spa itself has a great ambiance. The massage therapist was very good, listened to and addressed my problem areas, and made the body treatment and massage relaxing and refreshing. I'd definitely recommend this place for a romantic getaway or as a respite from the typical hotel for business travel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Greg V, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share the excellent feedback regarding your recent stay at Royal Palms with the Tripadvisor community. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I bought a voucher for a spa treatment and lunch through Travelzoo to this beautiful resort. The grounds, landscaping and architecture are unparalleled. I have eaten in their fabulous restaurant numerous times and always pleasing. I have been to an exceptional wedding in a garden on the property.

However beautiful the resort is, the spa was overwhelmingly disappointing. Yes, the room was lovely. The massage bed was not terribly comfortable and the massage therapist completely ignored my request to concentrate on my neck and shoulders and spent almost as much time rubbing lotion into my legs! The massage was shorter than described due to the therapists constant stopping and moving me from back to front (I have had MANY massages but never had my shoulder massaged while on my back and I honestly got no benefit from this).

The waiting/relaxing area was nice enough, though not enough room for everyone waiting at one point, to relax together. I went with a girlfriend who was similarly let down by the massage experience. We proceeded to order lunch by the pool. I added a glass of wine and was delighted by the wine that was served by the glass. However, the greek salad with grilled chicken that I ordered was lackluster and tasted as if it had come off the shelf at a convenience store--nothing interesting or even fresh tasting and the chicken was awful---how that could have come from the T Cook's restaurant is completely beyond comprehension to me. Service was good however.

I stayed and (tried) enjoy the steam room (never got hot) and shower--wonderful products. All in all a huge disappointment. My friend and I enjoy treating ourselves to spa days and this is one venue that we will not return to, even on a deal. What a huge loss for such a lovely resort. My guess is that they are banking on one shot clients staying at the resort and not worried about locals or repeat visitors.

Room Tip: only used the spa
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
We regret that you did not enjoy your recent visit to Alvadora Spa and we invite you to return on another occasion to give us another try. We obviously did not live up to our standards and reputation during your visit - we have shared your feedback with our spa staff in an effort to improve our service.
BROOKLYN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Beautiful property really holds you in and pleases the eye creating a reluxed feeling . The rooms are kind of small comparing resorts of that level, but that compensates by nice view of a yard from a balcony. We had very nice evening drinking champagne and looking at the cozy spanish yard.
I thought that Spa experience will match our spa visits at other resorts in this area. I was very surprized, that after paying separate resort fee that includes access to the spa, we weren't offered a robe, slippers and a locker when we walked into Alvadora on Saturday. They had too many appointments, we were told. My husband checked men's area and saw only two several lockers being used. In a similar situation any other spa staff would offer to use one locker for both of us... I just could not understand how this lady expected me to leave my clothes and underware somewhere in a middle of a changing room? Not at the resort of this level... I was very upset. Management sent us a nice plate of chocolate for this incident. And we were offered to use spa later on, but we only had two days at the resort... should I not eat dinner to make up for my spa pleasures?
Massages at the spa are nothing special. Overpriced.
And don't sit on the left side of the bar... it stinks there.
Thank god there are good musicians! Same night they had a very cool band Remedy playing by the T. Cooks restaurant. I really enjoyed their performance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Greg V, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Royal Palms. We were dismayed to read your feedback regarding your spa experience and have addressed your concerns with our Spa staff. We regret that your stay was less than completely positive and we invite you to give us another try in the future. Our constant goal is to provide the top resort experience in Phoenix and Scottsdale and we will ensure that your concerns are addressed prior to your next stay.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We returned here for our third stay due to a concert in town. This is a beautiful resort with lush tree lined grounds close to the mountains. The service is truly unparalled. They took care of everything and even surprised us with chocolates left in our room while we were out. The T. Cooks lounge happy hour was amazingly delicious and totally reasonable in price. The room was very nice with all the amenities and an extremely comfortable bed. They even upgraded our room on arrival without even asking. There are absolutely no complaints about this resort at all and we would stay here again without question.

Room Tip: We were upgraded for free to a bungalow which was a nice touch. It had its' own little patio.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Greg V, Director of Sales at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Mike,

Thanks for the glowing review of your recent stay at the Royal Palms Resort and Spa in Phoenix! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Since you live "just down the road," we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Scottsdale several times in the coming year.

Thanks again on behalf of our entire staff!
Southlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Beautiful hotel, quiet and convenient. Service is outstanding. Grounds are beautiful. The Valencia Casita was wonderful and comfortable. The weather was warm for a November trip and the A/C in the room would not maintain the cooler temperatures without several adjustments during the night but that is was minor and everything else was as expected.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations regarding your recent stay at the Royal Palms in Phoenix with the TripAdvisor community. If there is anything we can do to improve your experience during your next visit to Scottsdale, please let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We traveled to Arizona for Thanksgiving this year and stayed at a family recommended resort. The resort fee pays all tips and wifi which is a relief. All the staff were wonderful from the gardeners who take excellent care of the gardens to the valets, restaurant staff and maids. It is a convenient location to do sightseeing or visiting the wonderful art districts. Live music played on the weekend and we sat outside, had a drink and listened under the cloudless sky. It was lovely. My only caveat was that it was expensive having food at the pool...a large service charge.
We ate breakfast each morning at Cooks, their award winning restaurant. Most of the time we sat on the patio but the atmosphere inside is warm and inviting also.
Our casitas was quiet near the back of the resort. It was larger than I expected with room enough for a large chair, footstool, desk, chair and a fireplace. The closet had a drawers built in, hanging space, and a safe. There was enough room in the closet for two suitcases so they were out of the way. The bath had been recently remodeled and shower was quite large.
This is a place for weddings, elegant dinners, romantic weekends, not bachelor parties. It seems to draw people from the area to the bar for the music and setting. And also to the excellent restaurant. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of your recent stay at Royal Palms Resort and Spa. We appreciate that you have many choices in the Phoenix / Scottsdale market and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Central City
Hotel Palomar Phoenix - a Kimpton Hotel
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!