“Clean but expectations not met” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown

You added Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 N. Second Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85013 (Formerly Phoenix Place Hotel & Suites) (Encanto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #71 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
“Clean but expectations not met”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Room was very clean, but when we arrived there was a carpet cleaner sprawled out in front of the elevator doors on our floor and we had to move it out of the way to get by (no employees in site that were using it). We were also using all public transportation so had to walk to light rail and hotel is across the street from an adult store so it was sketchy walking by there after dark. Very disappointed in choice of local restaurants. Alexis & Durants were by far the best. If you are looking for something to do, you need to go into Scottsdale. Most buildings, stores & restaurants are empty in mid & down town Phoenix. Hotel staff was not very knowledgable about surrounding restaurants and or activities. The pool on the ground level did not have the water feature on and made the area seem run down. The roof top pool was not what was expected of a roof top pool...it smelled and was dirty as if there had just been a Party up there and was not cleaned up after. Seemed very run down. Included breakfast was ok, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, bacon, sausage, potatoes, toast, cereal, Danishes. It was edable but not great. I'm personally coming back to the area again in a few weeks and will find somewhere else to stay....Hilton Suites or Hilton Garden Inn were both highly recommended by local business professionals.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We arrived here on Saturday evening. This place is a filth box. n the bathroom there was a roll of toilet paper with 5 sheets left on it, there ws hairs in the sink and bath tub. The air conditioning would not work in the room so I called and someone came up and banged on the air conditioner, took it off its cover slamed it back down and it worked. I then tried to turn on the TV, there was no remote, i had to call down to get a remote in my room. One of the pillow cases had lipstick on it, i assumed that no one cleaned the room. The marble table tops in the room was laden with glass marks and stains, not a pretty site.

There is a free breakfast in the morning, beware of the dining room seats and tables, they are stained and loaded with sticky syrup.

When i came back from dinner the next day, my room had still not been cleaned, when asked why and could i please have some towels and toilet paper, i was told to come down to the desk and get it, and that they only clean rooms everyother day, i know that was not true because my dad's room was clean and i did see the woman with the cleaning cart on my floor but she was quite busy on her cell phonr taling to her friends.

Avoid this place at any cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Riverside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

i reserved the suite 2 months out for a short family vacation. i called twice to confirm before arrival. When my family arrived they did not honor my reservation confirmation and gave me all they had left, which was a standard - single bed room.
They apologized, of course, however they stated that unfortunately i was bumped.
The location is not great, the rooms are old, the place looks better in the pictures then in person. the beds were uncomfortable.

Room Tip: the suite is out of the way and next to the roof pool which is pathetic!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Vail, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The description of this hotel sounds so wonderful. Please do not be fooled as I was.
1) There was only one person on duty on a Saturday during a holiday weekend. I waited over 30min just to check in. It was so hot in the lobby everyone was pouring sweat.
2) After waiting all that time I was told that my suite was not going to be available and that there was no manager on duty until Monday afternoon. I could not get a refund on a suite I already purchased via Groupon. I could take a regular room or just leave with nothing. I was given a food voucher for my troubles that didn't even begin to cover it. I decided to stay just one night and make the best of it until I could speak with a manager or Groupon about a refund for the rest.
3) The pool area and garden area was disgusting. It was so sad because it has so much potential. Also, there were no towels or any staff to bring towels.
4) The restaurant had one waitress on duty. She was not helpful or kind.
5) The beds are old sleep number beds and are so uncomfortable. It's like sleeping on a lumpy air mattress. My whole family woke up in pain. I asked if they had any rooms without the sleep number but only the suites have regular beds.
6) I called and spoke with the manager about my ordeal and he said that they do not guarantee a suite even if you purchase it in advance. I read all the fine print on the Groupon and it does not say anywhere that even though you are paying extra for a suite you may not get one based on availability. Especially, when you make a reservation 2 mths in advance. He ONLY offered to let me book another stay, but only if it was by the end of the month and on a weekday.
Thankfully Groupon is a Great company and they took care of me since I purchased the room through them.
Overall it was a horrible experience. I do not recommend anyone staying here.

• Stayed September 2012
Lake Arrowhead, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here Friday-Saturday nights through an exceptional Groupon offer. The staff was noticeably friendlier than most, from registration and check out to the restaurant staff. The grounds in the back were very pretty, and the pool area was nice (shallow water only.) Rooms were pretty standard, but the bars of soap were wafer thin and we weren't re-supplied on our second day. My main complaint was that the carpets were filthy--especially next to the elevators. It just left a bad taste in an overall ok place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the garden grounds--much prettier view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Attended a conference at this location over 3 nights, 5 days. Stayed in a cabana room.
Staff were friendly and courteous. Special shout out to the night front desk clerk and to Demetrius - both extended extra efforts to ensure needs were met and expectations exceeded.

Cabana room was clean and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We purchased the groupon offer and booked a stay for a Sat and Sun night. The hotel was clean enough with friendly service from the front desk when we checked in. The room was clean - furniture was well worn but didn't find anything unsatisfactory. We were told there was going to be a pool party starting at 6pm so we took our two girls down for a quick swim. Pool was decent with a zero entry and waterfalls. Towels were available, yeah they were a little worn but wasn't an issue for us. Since they had a party going on we decided to eat out and took the light rail to a restaurant closer to downtown(light rail stop just one block from the hotel). Worked out well. We were in a cabana suite by the pool on the fifth floor. People were out there partying till 2am and kept us up, unfortunate but not a deal breaker. We got up to go to breakfast, beer bottles and cups by the pool still out, and room service food and plates from the night before were by the elevator too, but didn't bother us to much.

Breakfast was good although the waiter was grumpy. We left a small tip. We were out for most of the day exploring the finest of Phoenix. When we got back the hotel staff had cleaned the room and the rest of the hotel seemed to be cleaned up by the staff. Noticed staff cleaning rooms into the early evening and mopping the floors in the lobby too. Went for another dip in the pool on the ground floor and played on the playground. A lady arrived and requested a towel since there none. Staff brought out the towels quickly to the pool. That night we used our food voucher on a good meal and the next morning we check out with no problems.

There were quite a few interesting people there with body art tatoos and there were some regular folks too with family and a retired woman from Canada. Overall a good experience and a great deal for the 94 dollar groupon with included two nights and the 30 dollar food voucher.

Room Tip: Cabana suites may be noisy because of the pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Radisson_City_Center, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your review on our hotel. We are glad that you had a good stay with us amidst some minor mishaps. We are also glad that you enjoyed the Groupon Promotion that we have offered. Again, thank you and hope to see you again!

Been to Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown? Share your experiences!