“they do not care about thier customer” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown

You added Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 N. Second Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85013 (Formerly Phoenix Place Hotel & Suites) (Encanto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #72 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Riverside, California
“they do not care about thier customer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

i reserved the suite 2 months out for a short family vacation. i called twice to confirm before arrival. When my family arrived they did not honor my reservation confirmation and gave me all they had left, which was a standard - single bed room.
They apologized, of course, however they stated that unfortunately i was bumped.
The location is not great, the rooms are old, the place looks better in the pictures then in person. the beds were uncomfortable.

Room Tip: the suite is out of the way and next to the roof pool which is pathetic!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Vail, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The description of this hotel sounds so wonderful. Please do not be fooled as I was.
1) There was only one person on duty on a Saturday during a holiday weekend. I waited over 30min just to check in. It was so hot in the lobby everyone was pouring sweat.
2) After waiting all that time I was told that my suite was not going to be available and that there was no manager on duty until Monday afternoon. I could not get a refund on a suite I already purchased via Groupon. I could take a regular room or just leave with nothing. I was given a food voucher for my troubles that didn't even begin to cover it. I decided to stay just one night and make the best of it until I could speak with a manager or Groupon about a refund for the rest.
3) The pool area and garden area was disgusting. It was so sad because it has so much potential. Also, there were no towels or any staff to bring towels.
4) The restaurant had one waitress on duty. She was not helpful or kind.
5) The beds are old sleep number beds and are so uncomfortable. It's like sleeping on a lumpy air mattress. My whole family woke up in pain. I asked if they had any rooms without the sleep number but only the suites have regular beds.
6) I called and spoke with the manager about my ordeal and he said that they do not guarantee a suite even if you purchase it in advance. I read all the fine print on the Groupon and it does not say anywhere that even though you are paying extra for a suite you may not get one based on availability. Especially, when you make a reservation 2 mths in advance. He ONLY offered to let me book another stay, but only if it was by the end of the month and on a weekday.
Thankfully Groupon is a Great company and they took care of me since I purchased the room through them.
Overall it was a horrible experience. I do not recommend anyone staying here.

• Stayed September 2012
Lake Arrowhead, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here Friday-Saturday nights through an exceptional Groupon offer. The staff was noticeably friendlier than most, from registration and check out to the restaurant staff. The grounds in the back were very pretty, and the pool area was nice (shallow water only.) Rooms were pretty standard, but the bars of soap were wafer thin and we weren't re-supplied on our second day. My main complaint was that the carpets were filthy--especially next to the elevators. It just left a bad taste in an overall ok place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the garden grounds--much prettier view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Attended a conference at this location over 3 nights, 5 days. Stayed in a cabana room.
Staff were friendly and courteous. Special shout out to the night front desk clerk and to Demetrius - both extended extra efforts to ensure needs were met and expectations exceeded.

Cabana room was clean and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We purchased the groupon offer and booked a stay for a Sat and Sun night. The hotel was clean enough with friendly service from the front desk when we checked in. The room was clean - furniture was well worn but didn't find anything unsatisfactory. We were told there was going to be a pool party starting at 6pm so we took our two girls down for a quick swim. Pool was decent with a zero entry and waterfalls. Towels were available, yeah they were a little worn but wasn't an issue for us. Since they had a party going on we decided to eat out and took the light rail to a restaurant closer to downtown(light rail stop just one block from the hotel). Worked out well. We were in a cabana suite by the pool on the fifth floor. People were out there partying till 2am and kept us up, unfortunate but not a deal breaker. We got up to go to breakfast, beer bottles and cups by the pool still out, and room service food and plates from the night before were by the elevator too, but didn't bother us to much.

Breakfast was good although the waiter was grumpy. We left a small tip. We were out for most of the day exploring the finest of Phoenix. When we got back the hotel staff had cleaned the room and the rest of the hotel seemed to be cleaned up by the staff. Noticed staff cleaning rooms into the early evening and mopping the floors in the lobby too. Went for another dip in the pool on the ground floor and played on the playground. A lady arrived and requested a towel since there none. Staff brought out the towels quickly to the pool. That night we used our food voucher on a good meal and the next morning we check out with no problems.

There were quite a few interesting people there with body art tatoos and there were some regular folks too with family and a retired woman from Canada. Overall a good experience and a great deal for the 94 dollar groupon with included two nights and the 30 dollar food voucher.

Room Tip: Cabana suites may be noisy because of the pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Radisson_City_Center, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your review on our hotel. We are glad that you had a good stay with us amidst some minor mishaps. We are also glad that you enjoyed the Groupon Promotion that we have offered. Again, thank you and hope to see you again!
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Please do yourself a favor and skip this hotel. My family and I stayed there August 24th - 26th after getting a Groupon deal advertising this as a family friendly, upscale resort hotel. It was neither family friendly nor upscale. We booked a Cabana Suite expecting use of a limited access pool. The rooftop pool was not limited in access as expected, was not smoke free although posted as such and it was filthy (as was the rest of the hotel).

When we checked in the hotel looked nice enough but once past the lobby, that impression quickly changed. Below is a list of the worst of what we encountered this weekend, verbatim from the email I sent to the front desk manager this morning:

• Filthy hallways
• Missing light bulbs in our room
• Missing remote control for the bedroom television which was only replaced when my husband politely suggested someone go to a local store and purchase a universal remote control to replace the remote that could not be located.
• Extremely uncomfortable bed in the bedroom.
• Shower fixture was falling off of the wall and the shower head would not stay upright. We literally tied the shower head into an upright position with a hand towel so that we would be able to shower comfortably.
• Restaurant menu limited and expensive for what was offered and not what I would consider family friendly given the amount of space taken up bar the bar. The Groupon advertised “children stay free” which led me to believe this was a family friendly venue.
• Main pool in disarray at 10:30am Saturday morning – dirty towels from the night before over the majority of chairs and on the deck. No clean towels available for use. There also appeared to be a homeless man sleeping in one of the lounge chairs all morning.
• The rooftop “cabana” pool was completely uninviting, offering absolutely no shade other than what was created by the rooms themselves. Also, in spite of the large “no smoking” sign posted on the door leading to the pool area there was an ample supply of ashtrays available and large amount cigarette butts all over the rooftop during our entire stay.
• At lunch time we were informed that the restaurant does not open until 4pm for dinner and there was never anyone available at the guest services location at the main pool. Your website advertises food and beverages are served at both “upscale” pools. There was nothing indicating that this was limited to certain hours and we never saw anyone available to serve food or beverages at either pool.
• On Saturday evening the rooftop pool was taken over by a large group that appeared to be having a party. My understanding was that this pool was for the private use of the guests that had booked cabana suites but given the constant stream of people using the doors leading out the pool, which was located directly on the other side of the head of our bed, throughout the night, it appears that the use of this pool was not restricted either in hours or to who could utilize it.
• On Sunday morning, at approximately 9am, when we had hoped to take a short swim before checking out, we discovered that the rooftop pool area was littered with empty alcohol bottles and cans and strewn with dirty towels. There were no clean towels available for use either. It was still in this condition when we checked out at 10:30.

It also appears that this hotel is being used to house the homeless and people waiting for or recovering from surgeries at local hotels. This is not a hotel we will EVER stay at again or recommend to anyone else. I will say that the few hotel employees we did encounter we nice enough but pretty much unable to fix anything. They are poorly understaffed.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you can help it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are within every guest's expectations and based on your long feedback, its so obvious that we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve the stay of our guests. Again, I do apologize and thank you for taking time to give feedback.
Yuma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I always read reviews before I stay anywhere, so I went in with the knowledge of the other reviews and set my expectations accordingly.

I booked this hotel through a Groupon deal where I was supposed to get a Cabana Suite plus a $30 food/beverage voucher. Weeeelllll, when I checked in, Sean (very nice!) said the only Cabana Suite was handicap accessible, which I said was fine. After waiting a while for him to check with maintenance to see if the room was available and he got no answer, he went up to the room to check to make sure it was ready, and it was. Finally, we checked in. It wasn't a Cabana Suite at all, It did have a large bathroom, but only one bed in a one room setup. I called Sean to let him know that wasn't acceptable as we were traveling with our 9 year old son who needed a bed. He said we'd have to be in a room with 2 queen beds since there were no more suits available and that he'd give me an additional food/beverage voucher to make up the difference. (What choice did I have? None.) So we did that.

As other reviewers mentioned, the hotel is an older property, so expect that wear and tear. But I was pleased with the cleanliness. The beds are "sleep number", which some might think would lend to comfort - I didn't think so. And the bottom sheet that's normally a fitted sheet isn't a fitted sheet, just a regular sheet tucked under, so it came off both nights. Pretty annoying.

The grounds are well kept and really quite nice with beautiful trees, a little playground and a great main pool with rock features and waterfalls that our son loved.

The free breakfast was great the first day, with fresh fruit, 3 juice/milk options, eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, biscuits (which were all gone both mornings), gravy, cereal, bagels, bread, muffins and pastries (which were gone both mornings.) My advice is to get to breakfast early. They say it's until 10 am. But the 2nd morning we arrived at about 9:15 and several of the items were out and when we asked if they would be replenished were (rudely) told no.

We enjoyed having the free food/beverage vouchers and were pleased that it could be used for alcohol. The bartender is a very cranky man who was not at all pleased to be doing service for a Groupon voucher and let us know (rudely) that tip is not included. But he did give nice pours.

Overall, I'd say go in to the hotel with reasonable expectations.

Room Tip: If you book a suite through Groupon, you might not get what you paid for.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
First off, thank you so much for your candid review on our property.

We apologize that you did not get a cabana suite during your stay but, I am glad that Sean was there to assist you and come up with a solution even though you were left with no choice. We are actually reviewing all upcoming cabana reservations so we can avoid this problem with other guests moving forward.

While because of your experience in our restaurant, we have decided that will also do a refresher's course on customer service training with our Food and Beverage Department.

Again, we thank you for the review and let us know if there's anything that we can do for you in the future.

Been to Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown? Share your experiences!