“Not as Nice as Most Hiltons, BAD A/C's, Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Dine, Ride and Stay
Ranked #22 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
New York City, New York
“Not as Nice as Most Hiltons, BAD A/C's, Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel 3 weeks for a long term project and will not stay here again. Each time I have stayed the front desk has been very slow at checking people in, and the night staff is almost rude, and definitely not very concerned with going out of their way to satisfy a guest. The hotel is overpriced, I assume you are paying for the extra square footage from having a pretty-much useless living room suite. Most hotels in this price range have much better service and facilities.

The first time I stayed here, on check in, I waited about 15 minutes for the clerk to check in one party of two people who were requesting a government rate. When it was my turn, I gave the front desk clerk Javier a $10 tip and asked him to help me make reservations for the next three weeks. He seemed really slow at the process. In the meantime, the line behind me was growing. I asked if he wanted to check in the other people in line, then call me in my room to let me know availability. He made a note and promised to call. About three hours later I called down and asked if he was still there, and the lady that answered the phone said he was. I asked her to remind him to call me re: availability. Never got a call. Later that night (3am?) the A/C still hadnt cooled my room. I called down and asked to have someone come fix my AC, but they said no maintenance people were there. I asked to move rooms, but they said they were all full. Frustrating. Sweaty night... That was also the last time I tipped the front desk.

When I checked in this week, they did not have any king rooms available as I had reserved over a month ago. The room they put me in had trash still in the trash cans from the previous person. Also, the LodgeNet movies did not work. The bathtub had really bad stains and hairs in it. I complained that the room was not clean, and they moved me to a handicap room since they didn't have a standard king room. I asked if I were going to get an upgrade due to my HHonors Diamond status, and the reply was that I had been upgraded to a suite. I responded with "Aren't all your rooms suites??" Well, yeah they are.... They said they do have some larger suites. I asked if i was in one of them, they said they didn't have any available. So the answer was no, I wasn't getting an upgrade.
Also, my rental car was scratched down one side in the horrible parking garage.

Also, the front desk told me that the gift shop could be opened by someone to get snacks if I were hungry late night. In addition there is an equally sad Xerox'ed sign on the door stating "Sorry we are closed, please ask the front desk to open the shop" So at 1130 after room service was closed, I went down to the front desk to see if I could get a snack. They said no they do not open it at night. I replied that there was a sign saying they did. The front desk clerk (Jeff?) said, well, they just don't have the staff to open the store for *just anyone* needing a snack. I found the comment borderline offensive and condescending. He had been sitting in the back office with the door open, chatting with another front desk clerk and there was no one waiting anywhere in the lobby.

The main reason that I will not return is that my A/C once again would not go below 72 no matter how low i set it. Maintenance came and looked at it but could not get it to go lower. They said the A/C are evaporative coolers (versus refrigerated coolers), so they just don't cool that low. The thermostat on the wall under the vent in the living room said 72 was the room temp, so I know places not directly under the vent (like the bed) were significantly warmer.

This place feels like an Embassy Suites from 1990, complete with fake waterfall. I guess I am spoiled by the Westin, and by other nicer Hilton's around the country. I wouldn't mind the decor if the staff were more helpful and efficient. I am on a year long project in Phoenix and can spend my company's money anywhere I want, but it will not be at this property again. I'm glad that I wont have to beg to spend money at a sad little gift shop or be spoken down to by a sad little front desk clerk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
It’s unfortunate that your experiences have caused you to seek alternate hotel accommodations. We obtain our job satisfaction and frankly job security by creating experiences for our guests that help in their success and comfort, I’m very sorry. I won’t take up your time trying to explain off each and every item you have mentioned but I’m grateful that you have taken the time to write such a detailed review. I wish I would have been given the opportunity to address your concerns on your very first visit; and I very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this by phone or in person if you are available to do so. I take your comments and your experience very seriously; they will be shared with the hotel team. I’m confident that they will be as disappointed yet as eager as I am to work through the opportunities of your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel was very clean and had a nice bar/restaurant area. The staff was very friendly and they even had a shuttle that would drive us into the city center and pick us up. I believe it ran til about 10:30 every night.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brewerton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I just stayed there for week long business trip and highly recommend. I always enjoy a suite and having a refrigerator in my room. This had a refrigerator and microwave. Very comfortable bed, room and property appeared very clean. I was thrilled by the service. I needed a charger for my BB and the woman at the front desk looked for one the right configuration and had one sent to my room.. It made a big difference to me as I was prepared to buy one if I could find somewhere to do so. Breakfast staff, and front desk were very helpful and friendly. Housekeeping did a nice job. I would recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms are on hallways surrounding the atrium. I would say upper floor ask ask for a mountain vie...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel was beautiful. Very attractive lobby followed by a lovely atrium with waterfalls, streams and large fish in ponds. The food was delicious and I was very impressed with how extremely friendly the staff was. My company produced an event in two of the ballrooms and Monica, the events manager made sure that every aspect of the event throughout the day was perfect.

My hotel room was a pleasure to walk into. Full suite with a nice desk, large couch and television. Enter another door to a large king size bed that was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was large and very clean.

Being in Phoenix during 90 degree weather, I inquired about the nearest pool as the one in the hotel was indoor. The staff had Michael drive me to the Embassy Suites down the road (5-10 minute drive) and I was able to enjoy the beautiful weather and relax for a bit. I could not have been happier.

Trish from catering was a pleasure to work with as well as Monica. Javier and Burack at the front desk were delightful and very attentive as well.

The only complaint I have is that the internet connection was a bit on the fritz. Sometimes it was strong and other times it wasn't. Some pages loaded perfectly fine while others did not and gave me errors which was an inconvenience trying to load large files for work. With a quick call to the front desk, an engineer came right up to assess the situation and did his best to fix it. Again, not a huge deal at all and was the only slight down-side with the entire experience.

I highly recommend staying at the Hilton Suites Phoenix and do plan on returning in the future!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A colleague and I stayed here on business in March 2012 and were very pleased with the location and accomodations here. This March we stayed at another hotel down the street and will not make that mistake again! From the valet to the welcoming entry, to the store, to the bar to the comfortable rooms, there is no comparison for value and quality of stay. The room was spacious, with a couch/office area, large marble bathroom and comfortable beds. We stayed on the top floor and it was a bit of an issue waiting for the elevator, but it is not awful. The bar was nice and stays open late. Just be sure to watch the bartender as my colleague and I both received drinks we didn't order and had to pay for. The location is easy walking distance to the Heard Museum and the Light Rail is a short walk away. The breakfast service was great and the staff was polite and very helpful. Can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am just wrapping up a week of work in Phoenix and selected this location because of it's proximity to downtown convention center, sports arenas, & museums. It's right on Central Avenue (quick new public transportation to downtown - 5 minutes) and a few clocks from the Phoenix Art Museum and the Heard Museum. It's located in the trendy "midtown" area and has interesting local restaurants, bars, etc nearby. The hotel is quite nice - more like an Embassy Suites (open atrium and breakfast buffet) with full service breakfast/lunch/dinner and bar area. I especially appreciated the free laundry facilities on floors 2 & 11 as I was here for a week. Room and lobby are immaculate and the rooms have modern, luxurious decor. You are 5 minutes from the interstates to get to places like Scottsdale, and only 10 minutes from the airport. One observation everywhere in the hotel: friendliest staff anywhere.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was given superb service by a front desk staffer who goes by the name of Brady. I told him of my preference to have a room on the highest floor with a view facing the west. He not only selected a room of my choosing, but he also made sure that I would be able to check in early. He was very friendly and accomodating. If it had not been for him my business would have gone to the Ritz Carlton. Some of the front desk staffers were not friendly. They even made me feel like my business was not wanted. But fortunately for me, all it takes is one to make a difference!!!! My friend and I had a spectacular time. He has told me that he would come back to that facility in the future.

Room Tip: Bring some comforts from home. Candles, Wine and whatever you need to customize your trip to your t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Phoenix Suites? Share your experiences!