“OK Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Grand Rapids, MI
“OK Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We recently spent one night here on the last day of our trip. I chose the location because it's pretty convenient to get to the airport and is in the north part of town, which is convenient if you're going to or coming from Sedona.

Staff here were very nice. Our room was just OK -- when we arrived there was a tray of dirty dishes right outside our door. I called room service and they took care of it promptly. The carpet was dirty and pretty gross. I wore flip flops so I wouldn't have to walk on it. One of the beds had what appeared to be a pretty good sized burn hole on the bedspread. Other than that, the room looked clean.

Manager's reception (free drinks & snacks from 5:30 - 7:30) and breakfast buffet were included. Reception was ok. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

Our room was fine, although we did have to have three things corrected. Our keys didn't work, there was a leak in the tub, and one of the TV remotes didn't work. These problems were taken care of promptly. We had a very nice dinner in the restaurant, and the breakfast was would I expect from Embassy Suites. The elevator sounds positively ancient. Was going to use the hot tub, but there were no pool towels available. I went to the front desk and was told they would have housekeeping bring some right away. I gave up after half an hour. The grounds were very pretty and seemed well kept, but I think they need to step up in several other areas.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites Greenway several times for business. It is a reasonably convenient place for business, as the other Hilton Properties in the area (Tapatio, Squaw peak) are sprawled out and set up more for vacation travelers. However the property is aging. Often I cannot get the hot water to work properly, and some of the rooms seem to bother my allergies. However the staff is friendly, the breakfast is as you expect from an Embassy Suites, and overall the experience is okay as long as you are not expecting too much.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I wrote a review, before the sun came up, and before I really had a chance to see what the facility was all about. I regret writing that review and have looked for ways I can change it or delete it, because it was just unfair.

My wife and I woke up late and rush off to breakfast right at closing time. The omelet chef was extremely nice and reopened his station for us and cooked us two sensational omelets.

Then we asked the front to change our room near the pool and make an adjustment on our bill, and she was extremely accommodating. Now we're in a much better room on the first floor (which I would recommend), by the pool, looking into the courtyard, (which I would also recommend).

Everyone here is extremely nice and the carpeting in this room is much better, and the bathroom is not as tiny.

The bottom line is that we have not found anything as reasonably priced for what you get here, in comparison, in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

My opinion has changed. It's a good deal and they are willing to work with you here to make things better. My wife is now happier, and this is good. She can hang out by the pool while I work.

Still, check the reviews on this site and others before going ANYWHERE.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

It was July in Phoenix and it was hot!!! The family wanted to get away but didn't want to go on a long road trip. So we drove about ten minutes to this Embassy suites for the 4th of July weekend and had a blast. The hotel has a very large circular pool that very comfortably accomodated all of its guests over that busy holiday weekend. My kids loved it! The room was clean and comfortable. Not quite as shiny and new looking as you would expect Embassy Suites to be, but it was okay. The best part is the cook to order breakfast. What a money saver, especially when traveling with the family, and the food was delicious. They will make you an omelet with your choice of ingredients. They also have all the potatoes, sausage, fruit, danishes or just scrambled eggs that you can eat. Plus they have a variety of fruit juices and coffee. It was great! My family and I had a great time, it was an affordable get away from the heat "staycation".

• Liked — The cook to order breakfast and the pool.
  • Disliked — I have no complaints.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Marietta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for a convention. The front desk staff were VERY courteous. Ruth put a rush on my room's readiness with housekeeping and it was ready within 30 minutes. The room was a fine but there were stains on the carpet. The floor was uneven as it inclined at the front door, which caused me to trip a couple of times, which is not good for someone with low vision. The carpet was not marked to reflect this unevenness. The walkways around the rooms were also uneven and often difficult to navigate for someone with low vision.

When I tried to take a nap, I saw a 1/2 inch long white bug crawling in my bed. Other convention attendees had other kinds of bugs but were told they would "go away" by staff. On the last day, we ran out of toilet paper.

On the good side, the staff I dealt with was VERY nice and helpful. Giovanni in the restaurant went out of his way to serve us well. The food, especially the breakfast, was excellent. The meeting facilities were top notch and the serving staff and bartenders were competent and obliging. The property was gorgeous and very relaxing and I thoroughly enjoyed the pool.

• Liked — Inclusiveness that comes with the Embassy Suites brand
  • Disliked — Bug in my bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Trail B.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a conference and were underwhelmed by our room. It had two TVs, both of which were fuzzy and had remotes that barely worked (some buttons were simply dead). The tub was so small that I fear even a 5 year old would overflow it trying to bathe. Four out of five pillows were hard and old, the drawers on both bedside tables would spontaneously open and the doors to the main closet fell off.

The main lobby is quite nice, and the restaurant, Lafitte's, was delicious and well-priced. The pool is nice, but there were no umbrellas on any of the tables which I found weird considering the scorching 100 degree sun.

Basically this is a once-amazing hotel that has aged and gone into disrepair a bit. If they were to reno the rooms, and upgrade, they could return to prominence as a choice hotel. Until they do overhaul though, I would recommend against a stay there.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Phoenix-North? Share your experiences!