“Not worth your money, go somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #73 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Seattle, Washington
“Not worth your money, go somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in March 2011 for Spring Training.

I will start with the good things about this hotel... Nothing.

The bad things just pile up. First of all, what kind of hotel doesn't have Wi Fi in the rooms in 2011? There is wired internet in the rooms, but many computers don't even have the ports for wired internet anymore! Wi Fi is available in the lobby, but only if you can find a clean place to sit during or after free happy hour. The lobby is not cleaned until about noon, and happy hour is a 5pm the day before. If you try to do any sort of work in the lobby during happy hour, it is like trying to do work in a fraternity party. Not everyone can get away from school work or business, even when they're on vacation. Also in the lobby, there are three to five computers for visitor use if you want to print boarding passes or check flights, email, whatever. Don't even bother using this computers. The ones in the lobby are so slow, I eventually gave up after 30 minutes waiting for pages to load. The ones in the business center have sticky keyboards that don't work well enough to really do anything.

The pool is disgustingly dirty and during our stay (we've been at this hotel several times now, all in March) it is constantly full of screaming children and teenagers. The hot tub is not patrolled so if you want to relax in a nice, warm hot tub, good luck doing that here. Even late at night, the tub is full of kids. And thats if you can find somewhere clean to put down your clothes, books, or towels. The towel supply at the pool is almost always empty, might want to bring towels from your room.

Free breakfast is nice, but only if you get there around 7am. Get there at 9am and you'll be fighting about 300 people to get food. Good luck finding a table to sit at. The one time I chose to brave the crowds, I had to sit at a dirty table, next to other people's half eaten foods. I know it can get busy and its hard to keep things clean, but maybe this hotel should consider hiring more personnel for the month of March.

There is always food plates sitting in the walkway to the rooms, sometimes even as late as 7 or 8pm (and these are obviously breakfast plates, not from dinner). Gross.

Road noise is horrendous and even when we asked to be moved to a room closer to the lobby (two of the people in our party were disabled and we were given a third floor room at the very end, probably a quarter mile from the lobby and pool) we were denied. Failure in the customer service department.

I would recommend you stay somewhere else. This place is a waste of money and you'll spend more time cleaning up after other people just to enjoy the facilities.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Marysville, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

At first glance, this looks like a great place to stay. The entance is attractive and the lobby is eye catching. The faciltity has one of the best pools around is conveniently located adjacent to I-17 and Bell, making it easy for spring training fans to get to local ballparks. The inclusive breakfast is awsome and the happy hour free drinks makes this package appear unbeatable. If this was a restaurant, it might be- but it's not, it's a hotel!

My brother and I stayed at the hotel for a week 18-25 March 2011.Throughout the week, the pool area was littered with garbage, overflowing garbage cans, and a cabana bathroom which had about 1-2" of water on the floor. There was almost never enough towels for the pool because the employees neglected to pick up the used towels even after it was obvious that the user had long gone. Several nights, I went out to the pool area after dark and the disgarded towels (30-40!) still littered the pool area. They were finally picked up about 7am the next morning.

The hotel courtyard also has a pretty nice jacuzi but this resource is also neglected by the clean up staff. It was open every night until 11pm but by about 9pm, the area around it was littered with empty drink containers. Several mornings when I got up around 7am, and went to sit in the jacuzzi ,the garbage was still there and I found soggy tissue paper ( I'm not sure if it wasn't wet toilet paper) on the concrete by the tub. Pretty gross!

Dirty food trays were frequently left for days in the walkways. One guest told me that he got tired of oneof the trays by his room not being picked up so he put it on one of the linen staff's cart. She put it back on the floor.

Maybe the garbage situation is a reflection of the amount of traffic during spring training month but the price merits more attention to detail by the staff. I don't think that a great breakfast and happy hour are worth putting up with garbage. I, for one, will not be staying there again.

Oh, and I did finally complain to the staff on the 24th. The manager told me that he'd look into the complaint. I even suggested that he might want to take a walk around the courtyard after 9pm to view the situation himself. On the 25th, it was the same situation all over again. I don't recall ever seeing anyone from management walking through the courtyard at any time during my stay.

The hotel has a jacuzzi that is open till 11pm.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Loved the breakfast. Room was a spacious suite, with 2 flat screens. The problem is that this hotel is located directly on interstate 17 and local Greenway Blvd. The traffic noise in our room was deafening. Our room was located on the outside corner of Hwy 17 and Greenway Blvd. It felt like the trucks were drving in our room. Others in our party had courtyard rooms and loved their stay. We arrived before anyone else in our party, and were given a nasty room location. The room was excellent, the location was terrible. Pool area was tropical in feeling. WiFi is free. If I had a nice room location, I would recommend this hotel to everyone. If I go again, I would stay here only if I had a quiet room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room location.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Tacoma, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

My wife and I spent 4 nights at this Embassy Suites in Phoenix we loved it and would stay there again if circumstances permitted. Our room was clean and very quiet. The breakfasts were superb, I had “made to order” omelets every morning, they were as good as any I have ever had. Happy Hour was nothing special, the drinks were fine but the appetizers were pretty lousy. Our second night we just ordered room service and went to the bar to get our “Happy Hour” drinks and back to our room to enjoy them. We did notice the hotel is upgrading all their rooms with new carpeting so this might explain some of the negative complaints from others about the condition of the rooms. Our room did not have the new carpeting yet but that did not affect our stay, we enjoyed our time there, the pool, and the hot tub were also great.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Independence, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Embassy Suites should be embarrassed to call this an Embassy Suites. We planned to stay 5 nights at $135 a night but checked out after the first night. The first suite they showed us was dark, dingy with soiled carpeting that was ragged. I asked for a change, after showing me 3 other ones, we got a suite with new carpeting. But the suite is old, dark and depressing, no natural light. The bathroom (toilet and shower/tub) was so small, you could barely turn around in it.. The noise from the upstairs room where kids were staying was so disturbing, we had to call the front desk 3 times. The laundry room had 2 washers, one broken and very old dryers that took forever to dry. The only thing nice about this place is the pool which was beautiful. I've stayed at many Embassy Suites before but this one is the worst. I would never recommend this one to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Spent only one night here before checking right back out. Front desk people acted bored and like we were wasting their time. Tried to call front desk from room to ask about services and spent 10 minutes on hold and when I finally got through, was told by the clerk "I'm the only one up here and I'm busy! You need to hold."

Room looks like a cheap throwback to the 70's. For a suite, the bathroom is ridiculously tiny, and you could hear people in the room upstairs every time they flushed their toilet. The thermostat in the room is from the 60's and looks battered to pieces. No electrical outlets in rooms barely, towels are cheap and rough feeling. The suite overall was very shabby looking for what they charged and is not what I would ever call a "suite".

We were supposed to be in a block of rooms with a group of ours at the hotel and they put us in a room at the opposite end of the place instead! We had a buffet meal for our group and the servers couldn't even tell us what some of the dishes were! One looked like wallpaper paste with bits of charcoal in it. We were served only iced tea - you had to go up and ask for water or a soda, which I think is ridiculous. The one bar area even charged for water!

I went to check out in the morning and no one was at the front desk. A line had formed and others were calling out to see if anyone was around and finally, the manager sauntered out, looking bored and like we were bothering him. He never apologized or anything. I checked out and got my reciept. Went home and got online to look at my bank account/debit and saw they'd triple charged me on the room. Had to call 4 times to get the money credited back as they kept sending me to voicemail and finally admitted the accounting person wasn't even in the office that day!

I will NEVER go back to that dump again and would not recommend it to anyone. There are several other hotels/motels right down the street from there that would be much better to stay at.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011 via mobile

Generous two hour Happy Hour and cooked to order breakfast. Front desk people very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2010

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Phoenix-North? Share your experiences!