“Bad Area, bad hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #148 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Grand Junction
“Bad Area, bad hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Didn't have much of a choice to stay here, but this area of the town is not good. Multiple hotels next to each other, but didn't feel safe at all. The locals look like they haven't seen a bath in months. The front desk checked people in through the security window at the front after 9pm, so you couldn't even get into the lobby. The room was typical, but it had a random security sensor on the door so the front desk would know if people are breaking into the room when it isn't rented. The breakfast was a poor excuse for a homeless shelter. It literally consisted of coffee and prepackaged BearClaw danish. That's it. They had a random aquarium in the breakfast room that looks like it hasn't had water in a few years. The building itself is in bad need of a paint job and renovations. You can tell it was a Day's Inn at some point, but the franchise probably pulled the name. I was treated fine by the employee, but others that I heard him talking to were getting significantly different experiences.

Room Tip: Sleep with a gun under your pillow.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We spent one night at Americas Best Value Inn, just for a place to get a night's sleep. We arrived late, and left early the next morning.

The front desk person was very nice, and helpful with printing my airline boarding pass. The continental breakfast was not so great. The coffee was cold, and the "breakfast" was a tray of pre-packaged pastries

The room was at the low range of acceptable. If it had not been so late when we arrived, we would have opted to move on to another place. There was lots of dust on all horizontal surfaces. The bedding was clean, and we did not find any bugs. It wasn't a bad place after we turned the lights off. It was pretty typical for a place that charges a deposit on the TV remote.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

this was the greatest hotel for my money I love how quiet it is, clean hotel I love the service the people at how lovely it
Is

• Stayed January 2012
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We check-in without reservation,and,were greeted with a smile,eye contact.,.
Hotel had a good clean curb appeal,that attracted my family....rooms were clean,.
only thing can be up graded are T.V,.from 25'' to maybe flat screen !!

Room Tip: Back side off the hotel.,less traffic.,
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Culver City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

How cheesy is your hotel when the desk clerk (male--3/17/2010 @ 540PM) refuses to give out an extra (individual serve) coffee for the room?

If that weren’t enough, the carpet in the room was dirty, the room reeked of cigarette smoke (although this is theoretically a non-smoking room), and the micro-fridge unit was covered in sticky food and fingerprints.

I have been staying at Day's Inn for the past week as I travel the southwest, and thought I'd try something new. Bad idea!

I won't stay at an America’s Best Value Inn again. Lesson learned.

PS: Smoke signals are faster than this hotel's internet connection.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We booked 2 rooms on internet at this ABVI for a 1 night stay. With our (late) arrival I was told by the frontdesk employee that only 1 room was reserved however I had confirmation papers for 2 rooms. He admitted they dropped the ball and made a mistake. First comment was that no other rooms were available because a large group stayed at the hotel for a long time. The parking was occupied half space or less so I had my doubts. It was around 11 PM and not a good idea to search for another hotel. I insisted him to find a solution. Finally he called his boss and suddenly he came up with 2 rooms. When entering the rooms it appeared the airconditioning didn't work in 1 room while it was above 90 degrees and bugs/nasty animals moved around in the bathroom. Comment from the frontdesk employee was that AC worked all the time but he couldnot activate the AC unit either. Again he started to tell he had no other room available but within 10 minutes he came back and said he had cleaned another room. A strange way how to present the hotel to guests. I assume they tried to keep rooms available for other guests probably against higher prices as I booked for on internet. Overall judgement: a bad start with this ABVI.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

The Lobby was a dump. The attitude of the clerk that checked us in did nothing to approve our opinion of the motel. The room was dirty. I thought maybe they were overbook and we had a room that was in the progress of being updated, but reading other reviews I guess we had the best avaiable. The bed wasn't comfortable even after thoroughly examing the linens for bed bugs. The bathroom was very grubby, the sink and shower both had soap build up. Checking out was pleasant it didn't take long to examine the breakfast area and give your key back. Then as you start your car you get a wonderful feeling knowint there was no way you'd ever have to return to this pit again. If they would tear this Motel down it would definately improve the area. So if for some reason you find yourself sleepy on the 15500 block of 52nd Drive in Phoenix take my advice and sleep in your car

• Liked — Leaving after checkout
  • Disliked — That I had to spend the night
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix I-10 West
Premier Inns Tolleson
Premier Inns Tolleson
#2 of 4 in Tolleson
3.0 of 5 stars 11 reviews

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Phoenix/I-10 West? Share your experiences!