“Excellent Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was in Phoenix overnight with my family for an event at the US Airways arena. Our room on the 17th floor was quite comfortable and all of the staff friendly & helpful. I checked out without delay and was halfway home when I realized I left an item in my room. I immediately called the hotel and Albert Cardenas in the Loss Prevention Department went up to the room, retrieved the item and sent if via Fed Ex to my home. Marriott went above & beyond to provide excellent customer service and I will continue my loyalty to them

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Customer Service - it's not only what we believe in, it's how we live our days! Thanks so much for your loyalty, it means a lot to us to have guests who return time after time. Can't wait for you to come back again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Marietta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I am a flight crew member and have the privilege of staying at this hotel on my Phoenix layovers. The staff is very accommodating and friendly and the rooms are beautiful and clean. I had left my iPad in my room and realized it once I got on my flight. The manager went above and beyond and had it Fed Exed to me the following day. I was extremely grateful. If you are looking for a wonderful downtown Phoenix hotel I would highly recommend the Marriott Renaissance.

Room Tip: All rooms are very comfortable!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
We love our flight crews!! Thanks so very much for taking the time to write this review. I'm glad your iPad was returned so quickly - can't travel without those anymore!
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I live in the valley and had to be downtown for a 7:30 AM seminar so decided to stay there overnight. Anyone who lives in the outliers of the Phoenix Metro area knows the traffic situation in the AM as a 30 mile drive turns into a 90 minute commute.

I selected this hotel because the seminar was there. And I was sorely disappointed with the accommodations for the price of the room. The staff was very friendly and the lobby was beautiful so this wasn't the issue but the rooms were small and DARK with our room facing an "lovely" renovation project next door. The hallways smelled funky....not sure if it was old cigarette smoke or mold but it sure was funky.

The rooms. Where to begin? We had no ice bucket in our room and had to call the front desk twice to get one (that took an hour). The armoire in the bathroom has something splattered all over it...is it hairspray? Is it perfume? Aftershave? Something worse? I don't want to know but I do think it should be cleaned. There is NO fan in bathrooms so when you take a shower it gets nice and humid....almost like a tropical island in the middle of the summer. Internet access COSTS $13!!!! Valet parking is $27!!!!!! A 32 oz bottle of piss-warm, room temperature water (remember this is the desert) is left tantalizingly on the dresser but if you open it it'll cost you $5!!! There is no refrigerator in the room. All this for $159 a night. Oh and there is no safe in the room. Waaaaay overpriced for the money and I would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
First and foremost, I'm so sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We are indeed in the process of renovating and it sounds as if the location of your room was very close to that. Perhaps the odor in the hallway was associated with the construction. I know exactly what you're talking about with the 'splatter' on the armoire - it's hairspray! Because those armoires are solid wood, we have contracted with a company that specializes in refinishing fine furniture, and they are currently going through each guest room to bring those beautiful armoires back to their former glory.
I'm also disappointed that you had to call down twice for an ice bucket - there definitely should have been one in the room, and we are addressing that issue. As for the internet, valet and in-room water bottle charges, those are unfortunately standard charges for full service hotels. We have lots of refirgerators available upon request. Thanks for choosing us, and I sincerely hope you'll give us another try!
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

First, thank you Tripadvisor reviewers - your description of this property was exactly right. It's an older building but they have done a great job renovating and keeping it in good repair. The concierge lounge was the best I've ever seen and the chef is incredible - made me some amazing "snacks". The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and the beds were the high-quality Marriott beds that I expect. The service in the hotel was excellent - everyone was very friendly and helpful. This hotel is a perfect example of why I am a loyal Marriott elite member.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for choosing our hotel, especially when you've chosen it based on the great reviews we're so grateful to have! Elevate, which is our concierge lounge, is blowing all other lounges out of the water! Our Marriott Rewards Members are the luckiest group around! Thanks for your loyalty, and can't wait to see you back!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

the hotel is pretty nice as they have renovated most of the floors and are working on the lower levels. Everyone of the staff members that we dealt with were super nice. didn't care for the fact that we had to pay $27 for parking but that beats walking to a parking garage or feeding the meters every two hours. I would have to say the only negative thing was the bruschetta we ordered in the lounge. I have never seen this served on toast anywhere. Didn't taste good at all and if they were out of the correct bread they should have said so. all in all we had a good time and were very satisfied with the rooms. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: request a room on one of the upper levels with a view of downtown. most of the ground levels are sti...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your feedback - we want to hear the good and the not so good - that's how we improve. So sorry about your bruschetta - what you described is most definitely not our standard, and we're looking into what might have happened. We hope you'll come back to try it again!
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel once and found it excellent: extremely comfortable rooms, great location, helpful concierge, etc. But what sets this hotel apart is their customer service, especially Olivia at the front desk. Olivia helped my colleague and I resolve a question regarding our reservation in a way that exceeded our expectations. We're very grateful for her help and will be staying here in the future for follow-up meetings in the future because of her customer focus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Yay Olivia! She is such a gem - a truly shining example of how it's done! Thank you for mentioning her by name - she was tickled that you remembered her. The entire staff at the Renaissance takes pride in their level of customer service. Thanks for your loyalty, and we look forward to your return visit.
Hilliard
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hotel was conveniently located downtown. Lots of things within walking distance. Hotel was nice but dated. Some areas have been updated and others have not, over all very nice hotel, friendly staff and good bar.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for choosing us while in Phoenix! Our building was originally built in 1896 and has been re-invented several times since then. We are in the middle of a renovation right now! We hope you'll come back to see the finished product!

Been to Renaissance Phoenix Downtown? Share your experiences!