“Exceptional value and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve

You added WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve to your Saves list
WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   4647 East Francisco Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85044 (Formerly Desert Arroyo)   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
minneapolis
“Exceptional value and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

We just returned from Canyonview and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo. It was an RCI trade and the accommodations were fantastic - granite counter tops, large ceramic shower, large whirlpool tub, and washer/dryer.. We were on the second floor and had a nice deck overlooking the pool area. The property is quiet and tucked away between the mountain preserve and a commercial area but only 10 minutes away from the airport, downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Paradise Valley, etc. The staff were pleasant and very receptive. Our air conditioner didn't seem to be working one evening. The next morning I saw one of the maintenance workers, told him about it, and when we returned that evening it had been repaired. The pool is not very large but adequate. There is also a decent hot tub. The pool area had plenty of lounge chairs and shaded areas. While the resort does not host activities, the adjacent mountain preserve has plenty of easy hiking trails that we used almost daily. Our boys, ages 10 and 13, loved it and spent hours hiking around and exploring. Overall, Canyonview was an extremely pleasant and relaxing resort. there is also a fitness room off the pool area with two exercise bikes, a treadmill, and a stair climber. Most units have a garage. We will definitely stay there again when we return to Phoenix.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Temecula, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Our family traveled to Phoenix to relax and take in a few spring training baseball games. We booked a two bedroom two bath at the resort and just loved it. The resort was centrally located to the baseball parks we visited and near a great mall. We stayed for 3 nights and wished we'd booked longer as we didn't want to leave. It was very quiet and comfortable for our family. The kids and I enjoyed a couple of hikes through the preserve that is located right next to the resort and they had a great time in the evenings in the pool and spa. The rooms were really nicely decorated and the beds were very comfy. The staff was nice and helped us out when we were looking for places to eat - try the restaurant at the top of the hill, Rustler's Rooste - a really fun place with great food. We definitely plan on visiting Canyonview Resorts again next year - one of the best places we've stayed at.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Chicago,IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

OK, so I just got back from AZ after staying at this hotel. After reading reviews and not being able to find a website for the life of me, I was worried. Thankfully when we arrived to our 3 bedroom 2 bath condo I was relieved. OK, so this wasn't what I would normally call a "resort" and the decor could have been a little nicer and the bathrooms a bit cleaner and yes, daily maid service and room service would have been a definite plus but all and all, we had a great time, more than enough space and the pool was perfect. I will tell people that the pictures on Expedia and other travel sites for this "resort" are not of the normal room but instead the "upgraded rooms" that are only for RCI timeshare owners. The standard condo rooms are just that, standard, but I love that for 5 days and a little over 1,000 bucks you get your own garage, washer and dryer 3 bedrooms and two bathroooms. What you don't get is an attentive staff, top notch small appliances and super clean bathrooms. Also, for those not looking to lift a finger on vacation, this may not be the place for you since at the end of your stay you must strip all the beds, load the dishwasher, empty the fridge and gather all the towels to one place. so on a scale of 1-10, I would give this joint a 6 1/2.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

We actually bought into this resort as our home base and were thoroughly disappointed. We bought in 2006 while they were renovating....the new space was to be glorious with a waterfall and huge pool. We booked two years later and found that nothing had been done since our first visit, no waterfall, no huge pool. In fact our maintenance fees had gone no where since the lounge chairs by the pool were all broken, the pool water was green with the occasional splash of some harsh chemical that faded my bathing suit during our two week stay. There are very limited activities to do on site and don't bring your kids or they will be stir crazy. Nice vacation spot for no more than 2 days without children. The staff were horrendous. The internet was down, computers broken on site, and the staff totally unresponsive. The manager was no where to be found when we needed help. The only helpful people were the housekeeping staff. Our 2 bedroom condo was great, updated and clean but the general facilities left much to be desired. If there were more than 8 people on the deck, there was no room to sit or swim in the pool. please ensure that you go during off season so that you can at least sit by the pool, albeit on a broken lounge chair. Save your time and go to the Legacy Golf Resort instead which is where we spent all of our days while staying at Canyonview.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Wyandotte, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

This is my second stay, and it was just as great as the first. I stayed from June 13 until June 18, 2008. We stayed in a 2 bedroom this time as opposed to the 1 bedroom we stayed in last time. It was very quite, we were on the bottom floor, and only heard noise maybe one time from the unit above. And that was when they were running water. The staff was just as nice this time as they were a year ago when we were there. I would stay here again in a heart beat. As a matter of fact, we will be staying again in August 2008. Looking forward to it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

We stayed for a week in a two bedroom/two bathroom condo. We were a group of four adults. This is a quiet resort (at least it was in May). Our unit was spacious and clean. The kitchen was equipped with basics like dishes, cutlery and pots and pans. There were no mixing bowls, colander, etc. so it would be difficult to prepare a "real" meal but it was great for breakfasts, etc. The beds were comfortable and the linens/towels were of good quality. The pullout couch was not the best (apparently sagged in the middle). We had an attached garage which was extremely convenient, plus the car stayed nice and cool. The complex has a nice pool and hot tub, a small fitness center and a couple of computers with internet for public use. There was complementary coffee/tea/water in the clubhouse, plus newspapers and magazines. Canyonview backs on to the most amazing natural area, which is fantastic for hiking in the morning and looking at the stars at night. The location is excellent. Very close to Arizona Mills Mall and close (but not TOO close) to the highways to get one out town easily for day trips. There is a good grocery store (Fry's) nearby, plus there are several restaurants nearby (within 5 minute drive or 15 minute walk). All the staff were friendly and helpful. The complex and the neighbourhood seemed very safe. We had housekeeping service on the Wednesday of our week. I would say this place wouldn't be appropriate for people who want to party but we would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed May 2008
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

Where do I start? To find it, you drive through a business park area to find an older, 2-story converted condo complex in a remote area. There is no food service in the immediate area, no room service or maid service. Apparently there is also no security in the complex. My ground floor room had both a sliding glass door & regular door to the rear of the condo. I did not feel safe. For example, on the older sliding glass door, there was only a cheap flip lock with no drilled pin or even a safety bar. The screen door was off track & rusted. I was unable to pull it into the fully shut position. I was in a 1-bedroom condo, so yes there was more space than a regular standard hotel room. However, my room was dark & decorated in putty-like colors circa early 90's. The cement patio in the rear had no table or chairs to enjoy the outdoors.
When I went to the front desk to tell the female clerk I wanted a safer second floor room, she informed me it was an "upgrade" and I would have to pay an additional $35 per night. I was shocked & stunned. As a woman traveling alone I never stay in hotels on the ground floor. In addition, I've never been told that I had to pay more money to achieve a basic sense of personal safety. Then when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I discovered there is no internet access in the room. Apparently the only internet access is in their office area. Both the hotel manager & desk clerk were unresponsive & indifferent to my concerns. For the first time in 25 years of business travel, I decided to check out after 30 minutes. I stayed at another hotel (Marriott) where I felt safe. Without a doubt, this was the worst so-called "resort" experience in 25 years of national travel. I would never have knowingly selected a property where I had to stay on the ground floor in an unsafe room or had no internet access. I selected the property based on the information on the Orbitz web site which stated both "internet" and "wireless internet." I feel ripped off & duped. Because it was prepaid reservation Orbitz said "too bad." The "resort" manager said we're taking your money, you prepaid. On the positive side, there did appear to be some desert hiking trails nearby. However, there was also a public parking lot at the entrance to the property, so you could enjoy the trails without having to stay at this disappointing property.

• Liked — There appeared to desert hiking trails nearby
  • Disliked — unsafe;no in-room internet access; maid or room service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
4.0 of 5 stars 86 reviews
Legacy Golf Resort
#68 of 175 in Phoenix
4.0 of 5 stars 477 reviews

Been to WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve? Share your experiences!