“What a nightmare” 2 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve

You added WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve to your Saves list
WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   4647 East Francisco Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85044 (Formerly Desert Arroyo)   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“What a nightmare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

We actually bought into this resort as our home base and were thoroughly disappointed. We bought in 2006 while they were renovating....the new space was to be glorious with a waterfall and huge pool. We booked two years later and found that nothing had been done since our first visit, no waterfall, no huge pool. In fact our maintenance fees had gone no where since the lounge chairs by the pool were all broken, the pool water was green with the occasional splash of some harsh chemical that faded my bathing suit during our two week stay. There are very limited activities to do on site and don't bring your kids or they will be stir crazy. Nice vacation spot for no more than 2 days without children. The staff were horrendous. The internet was down, computers broken on site, and the staff totally unresponsive. The manager was no where to be found when we needed help. The only helpful people were the housekeeping staff. Our 2 bedroom condo was great, updated and clean but the general facilities left much to be desired. If there were more than 8 people on the deck, there was no room to sit or swim in the pool. please ensure that you go during off season so that you can at least sit by the pool, albeit on a broken lounge chair. Save your time and go to the Legacy Golf Resort instead which is where we spent all of our days while staying at Canyonview.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wyandotte, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

This is my second stay, and it was just as great as the first. I stayed from June 13 until June 18, 2008. We stayed in a 2 bedroom this time as opposed to the 1 bedroom we stayed in last time. It was very quite, we were on the bottom floor, and only heard noise maybe one time from the unit above. And that was when they were running water. The staff was just as nice this time as they were a year ago when we were there. I would stay here again in a heart beat. As a matter of fact, we will be staying again in August 2008. Looking forward to it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

We stayed for a week in a two bedroom/two bathroom condo. We were a group of four adults. This is a quiet resort (at least it was in May). Our unit was spacious and clean. The kitchen was equipped with basics like dishes, cutlery and pots and pans. There were no mixing bowls, colander, etc. so it would be difficult to prepare a "real" meal but it was great for breakfasts, etc. The beds were comfortable and the linens/towels were of good quality. The pullout couch was not the best (apparently sagged in the middle). We had an attached garage which was extremely convenient, plus the car stayed nice and cool. The complex has a nice pool and hot tub, a small fitness center and a couple of computers with internet for public use. There was complementary coffee/tea/water in the clubhouse, plus newspapers and magazines. Canyonview backs on to the most amazing natural area, which is fantastic for hiking in the morning and looking at the stars at night. The location is excellent. Very close to Arizona Mills Mall and close (but not TOO close) to the highways to get one out town easily for day trips. There is a good grocery store (Fry's) nearby, plus there are several restaurants nearby (within 5 minute drive or 15 minute walk). All the staff were friendly and helpful. The complex and the neighbourhood seemed very safe. We had housekeeping service on the Wednesday of our week. I would say this place wouldn't be appropriate for people who want to party but we would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed May 2008
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

Where do I start? To find it, you drive through a business park area to find an older, 2-story converted condo complex in a remote area. There is no food service in the immediate area, no room service or maid service. Apparently there is also no security in the complex. My ground floor room had both a sliding glass door & regular door to the rear of the condo. I did not feel safe. For example, on the older sliding glass door, there was only a cheap flip lock with no drilled pin or even a safety bar. The screen door was off track & rusted. I was unable to pull it into the fully shut position. I was in a 1-bedroom condo, so yes there was more space than a regular standard hotel room. However, my room was dark & decorated in putty-like colors circa early 90's. The cement patio in the rear had no table or chairs to enjoy the outdoors.
When I went to the front desk to tell the female clerk I wanted a safer second floor room, she informed me it was an "upgrade" and I would have to pay an additional $35 per night. I was shocked & stunned. As a woman traveling alone I never stay in hotels on the ground floor. In addition, I've never been told that I had to pay more money to achieve a basic sense of personal safety. Then when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I discovered there is no internet access in the room. Apparently the only internet access is in their office area. Both the hotel manager & desk clerk were unresponsive & indifferent to my concerns. For the first time in 25 years of business travel, I decided to check out after 30 minutes. I stayed at another hotel (Marriott) where I felt safe. Without a doubt, this was the worst so-called "resort" experience in 25 years of national travel. I would never have knowingly selected a property where I had to stay on the ground floor in an unsafe room or had no internet access. I selected the property based on the information on the Orbitz web site which stated both "internet" and "wireless internet." I feel ripped off & duped. Because it was prepaid reservation Orbitz said "too bad." The "resort" manager said we're taking your money, you prepaid. On the positive side, there did appear to be some desert hiking trails nearby. However, there was also a public parking lot at the entrance to the property, so you could enjoy the trails without having to stay at this disappointing property.

• Liked — There appeared to desert hiking trails nearby
  • Disliked — unsafe;no in-room internet access; maid or room service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

We were just there the last week in Feburary 2008 and hope to return. Our accommadations were nice. (2 BR-2 Bath) The furnishings were older but okay. The weather was great so we did not nead the heating or air conditioning which was good as it was so loud when starting we left it off during the night. The staff was great! The pool area was very clean and quite. Excellent location! It was a little hard to find the first night due to poor lighting on the part of the city. With just a few minor touch ups and improvements Canyon View will be in very high demand.

Stayed February 2008
Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

(Booked 3 months prior) Got checked into our room just before 7pm to find that the room had been missed for cleaning. (Yuck) Stuff everywhere, fecal matter in toilet...I'm sure you can imagine. When we went back to front desk, they told us that there were totally booked and that they would have to call the cleaning staff back in. By 9:45 pm, we still have no room and no cleaning staff had even arrived, so we told the front desk staff that we were considering looking around Phoenix to find another hotel. AFTER ALL THAT TIME, they said they could put us in a little bigger suite. (They were supposed to be fully booked.) Oh gee, thanks. The new suite was not very clean either but it worked fine. When I (very politely) talked to the manager the next day to see about compensation for the inconvenience (or even just an apology), he told us that we were welcome to stay elsewhere for the last two nights. Wow. Nice.

Phoenix was one of the friendliest places that I have ever been. The people are so wonderful...except for the management at this resort!

• Liked — excellent location, nice outdoor pool and spa
  • Disliked — service, cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Ulm, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

After traveling clear across the country, we were disappointed with the difference in amenties and cleanliness compared to what was printed in the RCI book through which we booked our unit. The 2 bedroom unit is very spacious and the full size washer and dryer was awesome. However, the carpet was badly soiled, the pool was unable to be used because of a broken pump, the utensils and kitchen items was a mixed and incomplete hodgepodge. To get internet service, we had to go to the clubhouse all the time, no service in the units. First night neighbors stayed up all night loudly partying. What was disappointing, it seemed that our complaints really went nowhere, only handled by an on-site and very young staff. Hopefully after some attention to detail this will be a nice resort in a beautiful and convenient location.

• Liked — spacious and in a great location
  • Disliked — dirty, didn't seem to have a professional management
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve? Share your experiences!