“Nice enough place, location random” 3 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve

Save Saved
You added WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve to your Saves list
WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   4647 East Francisco Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85044 (Formerly Desert Arroyo)   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bakersfield, California
“Nice enough place, location random”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was a guest of my in-
laws for this stay. I haven't stayed in a WorldMark timeshare but one other time. My overall impression was that it was nice, just not super-nice. Most everything worked and was comfortable (except the dishwasher in our unit which was broken). The biggest complaint was the air conditioning. The vents were placed so that the master bedroom was much cooler than the second bedroom. You couldn't really keep both rooms comfortable at the same time. One was too cool while the other too hot. Mildly uncomfortable in Phoenix in July.

The facility itself was great. The small fitness center was always open and even though it only had 2-3 machines, no one ever had to wait. It was always operating at capacity in the mornings. The pool area was actually quite lovely. I noticed maintenance staff working hard to keep it nice and clean. The staff seemed to be decent to me. I didn't have any of the issues with rude staff that other reviewers mentioned.

The biggest drawback of this timeshare is the location. It is oddly socked in between a big business park and the South Mountain Preserve. The South Mountain Preserve is a large and lovely park with trails and wildlife. Staying here in the summer though, we couldn't make use of the trails. The back of the units have a view of the hills, but they are so close, that you hardly have a view of the Preserve other than a close up of the hills. Things you need like restaurants, grocery stores and gas stations are a short drive away. But we found our destinations to typically be a 30-40 minute drive away.

I would go back if invited. But it might be fun to check out other WorldMark properties in the Phoenix area instead..

Room Tip: The are no elevator, only stairs for the upper units. If you have any difficulty getting your lugga...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hillsboro, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I had reservations at our Phoenix Worldmark timeshare for one week but we ended our stay early due to the treatment we received from the sales staff and the General Manager who would not take care of the issues we experienced. We checked into our assigned room which was located directly next to the timeshare show rooms where the sales staff was showing rooms to potential new timeshare buyers from early morning to late afternoon. Each morning we were woken by numerous groups of people visiting the show room and the sales office next door. The noise from the banging of the doors, loud conversations of sales people talking loudly on their cell phones on the rear patio (which was directly next to ours) was very inconsiderate and made our stay unbearable and so very unpleasant. We had discussed this with the General Manager several times. He informed us that he would discuss this issue with the sales team to help eliminate the problem. This problem never ceased. We even experienced people staring into the windows of our unit which was quite disturbing and un-called for. On more than one occasion, I spoke to the General Manager about this issue and he told us he would speak to the sales staff about the excessive noise and disturbances that they were creating. On the third and consecutive day of noise when one of the sales managers was speaking loud on his cell phone on the balcony right next door, we called the front desk again to ask them why this was continuing to occur and the General Manager promptly came over with a young female sales manager who proceeded to laugh at our circumstances. She was very condescending and displayed a rude attitude which the general manager never addressed. The lack of customer service was disturbing.
After calling the Worldmark Owners Care office for the third time within three days and telling them how the sales staff was reacting to our repeated requests to be more quiet (not being pro-active and condescending to their owners), we were able to check out early and get our unused timeshare points credited back to our account. Before checking out I had the opportunity to speak with the General Manager to let him know that my wife and I were very disappointed with the lack of professionalism of his sales staff with whom he promptly defended. The guest services department at this Worldmark Phoenix location could use a lot of improvement and learn how to treat their owners more effectively and professionally!
In addition, the unit we stayed in looked clean at first, but on closer examination it was obvious how dirty it really was. We found a couple of hairs on the bathroom shower walls along with filthy floors in the kitchen and living area carpeting. My wife did not even feel comfortable taking a shower let alone a bath. Our issues were not taken seriously and were not eliminated. We were happy to leave this timeshare and do not plan to return. This particular timeshare needs a lot of improvement.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I was very concerned after reading the reviews. We had already booked and there was no going back. We were pleased to find the 2br unit very large, spacious and updated. The decor was modern, including granite counters, large tub (jets did not work), & rain style shower. Two of the three tv's were older tube style, but they were fine. The unit showed signs of shoddy repairs (paint didnt match where patch work was done...that kind of thing) but aside from the jets in the tub, those things didn't affect our stay in any way. The staff was kind and helpful. As is par for the course, the pull out sofa mattress was not great. They provided me with an extra blanket to layer under the sheets to improve the comfort level a bit. Washer and dryer are in the unit. The location is a little funky...it's set back amidst a business park area. But it seemed like we could get to anywhere we wanted to go within 15-20 minutes. Overall we were very happy with our stay and plan to return.

• Stayed March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Okay, so the place is renovating all the units but there are way too many negatives. We have NEVER been treated so poorly in all our years of travel no matter where it has been. First, the management does NOT have a clue what customer service is. The resort use to be a condo complex that has been converted to vacation properties. Amenities are few. Coffee maker, sparse kitchen utensils and hair dryer. Currently most of the televisions are the old tube style and have cable but no chart of television stations. They do NOT change the sheets which is okay but they use 2 flat sheets instead of 1 flat and 1 fitted. They do NOT make beds or vacuum the floors. Also they do NOT tell you up from that you can get laundry soaps, shampoos, garbage bags and bar soap but asking the front desk. Had to go back to front desk 4 days in a row to FINALLY get someone to clean the bathrooms and replenish the towels. FOUR DAYS! Management told me to call them if there were problems but neither of the 2 phones worked! They said it was the phone companies problem not theirs. Really? What if there is an emergency? Carpeting stained and filthy. The air conditioning was adequate for the main living room and kitchen area but if you close the bedroom doors the a/c will not get into the bedrooms. The maintenance guy told us that RCI owns 10 of the units, a private party owns 6 and Wyndham the rest. Three owners working with 1 management company that has no clue. When I went to the front office today to complain about no towels, cleaning, etcetera, the manager was sitting in his office wearing slacks and a T shirt. What kind of professionalism is that? T shirt? I don't blame the employees as I figure the leadership from the top is poor and no one has had proper training in the hospitality industry. Even once this place is 100% remodeled the management will still have the poor attitude and lack of customers service that they do now. No restaurant, snack bar or bar on the premises. Closest restaurant is about 1 1/2 miles away as is the grocery store for your cooking needs. Would I recommend this place to anyone? NOT A CHANCE! Stay away, far away.

Room Tip: No comment. Just do yourself a favor and stay away.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sparks, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I had high hopes of a nice stay with our family. The manager was kind enough to upgrade us to 2 -2bdrm units instead of a 3 bdrm which worked great for our large family.Both units were nice and had most anything we could need. All the support staff was great from the people at the check in desk to housekeeping and maintenance (we did have several maintenance issues). On the 2nd day, things went downhill when we brought some floating lounge items etc. down to the pool again. The desk clerk came out and told us (after a long walk over with them in 113 degree heat), that we coud not use them. We set them aside and said we would not use them but would like to speak to the manager as I had been told on the phone we would be able to use them or we would not have brought them. (Due to remodeling, the resort was practically empty and we had not seen a single person at the pool, so the items were not in anyones way while we waited.) A short time later, he (the manager) came storming across the pool area and began chewing me out about having the pool items, shouting at me in front of my whole family and any other guests who may have been on nearby patios. He demanded that we get them out of the pool area and back to our room immediately. He never once introduced himself or talked calmly, but was very abrupt and rude and then just stormed away. He truly talked to me as if I were a small child in trouble.
We are respectful guests and have never been treated this way at any resort we have stayed at (we have stayed at many). We were all shocked and never felt comfortable or welcome from that moment on.
I would never stay at this resort again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

The property is nothing like the pictures. The unit we checked into probably had not been used in some time, as there was dust on all surfaces and carpet very old dirty. Had to call maint on 2 separate occasions for a washing machine that over flowed and flooded the garge in addition to a garge door that would close. With all the problems we were treated as if we caused these problems and we were inconviencing the staff. Beds , couches and orher furnishing old uncomfortable and stake smelling. A/c so loud could not hear Tv or even carry on conversation with someone ten feet from you.

• Stayed June 2012
Maple Valley, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I've read the reviews here and was concerned about our stay at this place. I think that there are valid points in most of the reviews about the condition of the resort. It could use an upgrade. The carpet in our unit did need to be replaced. Kitchen utensils could be increased. However, I've travelled enough over the past 40 years that I know to come prepared. We bring our own bedding because of fragrances. I pack my own kitchen knives, baggies, zip locks, hangars and little items that you would have around your home that you use on a daily basis.

We are hikers and golfers, so this was a perfect location for us. I combined a bit of business with a fun stay and enjoyed the resort. We don't spend much time in our room when we travel, unless the weather is bad. You do need a car and a little research on tripadvisor will clue you in on restaurants and attractions. I also bring my GPS with

Do your homework on tripadvisor and come prepared. This place is what you make of it. Just realize that this is not a 5 star resort but it was clean and comfortable for us.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve? Share your experiences!