My family has stayed at Desert Arroyo three years in a row, always in Feb. or March. Unfortunately we have noticed a decline in service and the state of the property each time.
Pros - The only real pro is that hiking on South Mountain is right outside your door. Restaurants and shopping nearby. You really do need a car to get around though. The pool area is small but decent.
Cons - One big annoyance of this place is you can't get internet in your room. The signal isn't strong enough, so we were constantly having to go to the lobby or pool area to use the internet. If you had a room right next to the lobby you might be okay, but this has never been the case for us.
We have always stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, and they are just okay. The carpets should have been replaced about 20 years ago. Apparently some suites have renovated kitchens but in three years we have never managed to get one.
The maintenance and service have declined each year we have stayed here. This year we had no table and only 1 patio chair on our balcony, instead of the usual 4 chairs and table. We called to ask if we could get some, as we like sitting and eating outside. We were told "No, you can't." Seriously?? So no sitting outside for us.
On this recent visit, the kitchen barely had enough utensils and dishes to allow us to prepare a meal. I attempted to hang a towel on the rack in the bathroom and it fell right out of the wall. The dresser drawers in our room wouldn't stay closed as the dresser was broken. Not one single clothes hanger to be found in our closet..... etc. etc. The list just goes on.
In the last year they cut their cleaning service - you now have to take out your own garbage, wash your own towels etc. Annoying when you are on vacation.
Two years ago on my first visit I would have recommended this place. I no longer would. There are nicer places to stay, in better areas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is nearly impossible for anyone who is in any way sensitive to the beauty and grandeur of nature to stand in this special place and not feel the power that the Pimas refer to as the strong medicine of the South Mountain Preserve. Here, we have rediscovered a special place to share with our owners and guests. This is truly a place of deep relaxation and natural beauty. A place gently cradled in the largest regional wilderness park preserve in the country which covers over 50 square miles of pristine Sonoran desert. Surrounded by unspoiled panoramas and teeming with a stunning variety of wildlife that belongs to this desert community, it is seemingly a remote retreat, minutes from downtown Phoenix. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Arroyo Hotel Phoenix
- Canyonview Hotel Phoenix
- Canyonview Hotel South Mountain Preserve