“Desert Arroyo - new management, new name” 3 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve

You added WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve to your Saves list
WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   4647 East Francisco Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85044 (Formerly Desert Arroyo)   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Desert Arroyo - new management, new name”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I hope Desert Arroyo gets it's own spot with a connection to the old one. It's under new management and is mostly renovated. Looks like this happened sometime in late 2010.

The rooms look like they have new carpets and some new furniture. We had a 1,100 square feet, 2 bedroom condo with 2 full baths, full kitchen, washer and dryer with a garage. $78 a night (have to work the web to find the best deal).

Very good value however, the place is in the middle of a commercial area so after business hours it's pretty deserted. You must have a car to drive to restaurants and a big mall although everything is within a 5-10 minute drive.

Front desk service is mediocre and the place is not a resort at all as it does not have many amenities. The pool area is well maintained and the check-in building is a bit small but well laid out. If you are checking in after 8 p.m. make sure you call well in advance to make arrangements to pick up the unit key.

The location of the property is conveniently close to Phoenix attractions. You are barely 5 minutes from the highway. A 20 minute drive will get you to Scottsdale Fashion Mall, the baseball stadium downtown or the airport.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I didn't actually stay there, but tried to book there for a trip that I am making in November.

It's your call about the place, but be aware of their onerous "cancellation policies" before you do anything. They will charge you $67.19 simply for the process of reserving a room regardless of how long you cancel. They call this a "cancellation penalty" only in the fine print once you make the reservation. The policies give some unclear language about being "3 days prior" which means any amount of time.

I booked and canceled almost a month prior to when I will be traveling there and I got hit by this "penalty". Mind you, the reservation wasn't a "pre-paid" or anything, this is just their SOP.

I asked them about this and they stopped communicating with me. I gave the example of booking a room a year away and then canceling it five minutes later and the penalty would be assessed. This is an accurate example.

I decided to rent a house. I'm only there for three nights and it proved to be larger with a private pool and less expensive - not to mention much, much more comfortable (have you looked at their sad pictures and ratings?). If you are staying for several days or a week or more, I'd recommend that route instead of this tired, money grubbing place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

The stay was not terrible, but my expectations exceeded the reality of the hotel. We had a free stay at a five-star hotel due to a refund from a different trip, and so I assumed the room we'd have would be amazing. Well, the first room we had was okay. The master bathroom was awesome! But the rest of the room was not so great. One of my friends had to sleep on the bed in the couch. The couch bed was terrible-it was more comfortable to sleep on the floor for him. I had the master bedroom. I was about to lay on the bed when I noticed a lot of little hairs all over the bed and inside the sheets. It was a bit disturbing. Not to mention my other friend took a shower and said there was no hot water. So we switched rooms. It was a room that was supposed to be less fancy than the first, but it was much better! It was cleaner, the showers had warm water, and there were three bedrooms, all with nice beds and blankets. So my experience at the hotel was pretty average, considering the fact that it was supposed to be a five-star hotel and I started off grossed-out, and my other friends were not satisfied at first either.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

We just returned from Canyonview and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo. It was an RCI trade and the accommodations were fantastic - granite counter tops, large ceramic shower, large whirlpool tub, and washer/dryer.. We were on the second floor and had a nice deck overlooking the pool area. The property is quiet and tucked away between the mountain preserve and a commercial area but only 10 minutes away from the airport, downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Paradise Valley, etc. The staff were pleasant and very receptive. Our air conditioner didn't seem to be working one evening. The next morning I saw one of the maintenance workers, told him about it, and when we returned that evening it had been repaired. The pool is not very large but adequate. There is also a decent hot tub. The pool area had plenty of lounge chairs and shaded areas. While the resort does not host activities, the adjacent mountain preserve has plenty of easy hiking trails that we used almost daily. Our boys, ages 10 and 13, loved it and spent hours hiking around and exploring. Overall, Canyonview was an extremely pleasant and relaxing resort. there is also a fitness room off the pool area with two exercise bikes, a treadmill, and a stair climber. Most units have a garage. We will definitely stay there again when we return to Phoenix.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Temecula, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Our family traveled to Phoenix to relax and take in a few spring training baseball games. We booked a two bedroom two bath at the resort and just loved it. The resort was centrally located to the baseball parks we visited and near a great mall. We stayed for 3 nights and wished we'd booked longer as we didn't want to leave. It was very quiet and comfortable for our family. The kids and I enjoyed a couple of hikes through the preserve that is located right next to the resort and they had a great time in the evenings in the pool and spa. The rooms were really nicely decorated and the beds were very comfy. The staff was nice and helped us out when we were looking for places to eat - try the restaurant at the top of the hill, Rustler's Rooste - a really fun place with great food. We definitely plan on visiting Canyonview Resorts again next year - one of the best places we've stayed at.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Chicago,IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

OK, so I just got back from AZ after staying at this hotel. After reading reviews and not being able to find a website for the life of me, I was worried. Thankfully when we arrived to our 3 bedroom 2 bath condo I was relieved. OK, so this wasn't what I would normally call a "resort" and the decor could have been a little nicer and the bathrooms a bit cleaner and yes, daily maid service and room service would have been a definite plus but all and all, we had a great time, more than enough space and the pool was perfect. I will tell people that the pictures on Expedia and other travel sites for this "resort" are not of the normal room but instead the "upgraded rooms" that are only for RCI timeshare owners. The standard condo rooms are just that, standard, but I love that for 5 days and a little over 1,000 bucks you get your own garage, washer and dryer 3 bedrooms and two bathroooms. What you don't get is an attentive staff, top notch small appliances and super clean bathrooms. Also, for those not looking to lift a finger on vacation, this may not be the place for you since at the end of your stay you must strip all the beds, load the dishwasher, empty the fridge and gather all the towels to one place. so on a scale of 1-10, I would give this joint a 6 1/2.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

We actually bought into this resort as our home base and were thoroughly disappointed. We bought in 2006 while they were renovating....the new space was to be glorious with a waterfall and huge pool. We booked two years later and found that nothing had been done since our first visit, no waterfall, no huge pool. In fact our maintenance fees had gone no where since the lounge chairs by the pool were all broken, the pool water was green with the occasional splash of some harsh chemical that faded my bathing suit during our two week stay. There are very limited activities to do on site and don't bring your kids or they will be stir crazy. Nice vacation spot for no more than 2 days without children. The staff were horrendous. The internet was down, computers broken on site, and the staff totally unresponsive. The manager was no where to be found when we needed help. The only helpful people were the housekeeping staff. Our 2 bedroom condo was great, updated and clean but the general facilities left much to be desired. If there were more than 8 people on the deck, there was no room to sit or swim in the pool. please ensure that you go during off season so that you can at least sit by the pool, albeit on a broken lounge chair. Save your time and go to the Legacy Golf Resort instead which is where we spent all of our days while staying at Canyonview.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Been to WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve? Share your experiences!