“Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve

You added WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve to your Saves list
WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   4647 East Francisco Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85044 (Formerly Desert Arroyo)   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
North of England
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Although I realise they are in the process of upgrading the property, I would NEVER visit there again. The buildings were lovely, spacious rooms but the renovations had been done "on the cheap" - eg: cheap MDF cupboard doors and interiors that are hard for housekeeping to keep clean, mismatched crockery and bent cutlery, a waste disposal that didn't work and most of all, when we went to use the oven (which was all stained and marked on the top - so obviously had not been replaced) it was absolutely filthy inside. The location of the property was terrible (in the middle of offices and places of work). There were very little evening activities and if one was interested in something such as dreamcatcher making - or the like - you had to sign up for it 48 hours in advance. On vacation, I don't always know what I'm doing or where I'm going to be 48 hours in advance. So, even although Aristar is changing it's name and "upgrading" to Mountainview, it hasn't upgraded it's accommodations as expected. Very disappointing!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

Very nice place in transition from apartments to timeshare.
Pool small & unheated but nice pool area & they are planning a 2nd pool.
WIFI in club house w/guest computer to use also.
Nice walking trail in ajoining mountains---resort is at end of
SanFranscio St. behind office bldgs & consists of 1-2-3 bedrooms some w/garages however it is still not complete.
Units are nice size but very plain. Very convient to food stores
fuel etc. i would stay here again

• Liked — just like a condo
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

This property is in transition from the Aristar Resorts to the Canyon View Resorts Club. I think it is a timeshare property now. We recently stayed there and found the size of the resort suite we stayed in was very large. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath. The furnishings were quite bland but I took into consideration that the property is undergoing renovations. With that said, I found it fine for our use. It was clean, had good water pressure in the showers and a nice pool area as well as nice grounds. The front desk was helpful in answering questions. Overall, I was satisfied with the timeshare stay.

• Liked — having a washer/dryer and a garage in our unit
  • Disliked — the blandness of the decor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

This is an apartment not a hotel. The rooms are large but terrible. They do not have high speed internet in the rooms. You do not get maid service. Rooms were unclean. I would strongly suggest to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

A family member had bought a timeshare with Aristar and suggested I book a week there when my out of town guests came to visit Phoenix.

I took her up on her offer, she even made the arrangements for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, condo for our stay there. When we showed up to get our room, we were told we had booked a 1 bedroom, 1 bath for four adults (women). I explained that was not correct and asked to speak to the manager. He looked at the reservation, and explained I was wrong. I advised him of the price I was quoted for the 2 BR, 2 BA and he told me I did not quote the correct amount and therefore the mistake was mine. The clerk standing by corrected him and explained that I was quoting the correct amount that I had been given when the reservation was made.

When I again explained the error was on the resorts part, the manager asked me if I was accusing his staff of lying. I told him, "No, his staff had made an error". Negotiations deteriorated from there, however, we were eventually given semi-acceptable accommodations, but not what we had originally requested.

Apparently, there where several possible buyers coming in the next day, so many condos were reserved for the people who had not yet spent their money.

We ended up with a condo next to a garage used as the laundry, maintenance room. Between 7:30-7:45 A.M., every morning, we woke to extremely loud music and conversation from the "laundry room"

I sent this complaint to Airistar when completing their survey and never heard a word from them since.

I just happened upon Aristar this evening while making travel plans and felt I had to say, "Buyer Beware".

Stayed March 2007
arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

Love it i would go back again and again.

Stayed May 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

I was a bit nervous after booking a one room suite for $75 a night, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is truly like getting your own apartment for a night! The one bedroom was very spacious with a small dining area, kitchen, one bathroom and a very large bedroom with a king bed. The suite had two flat screen televisions and a nice patio area with a table and 4 chairs.

I really enjoyed the attached one car garage (great for the hot summer months in Phoenix). The unit also had a full sized washer and dryer in the garage as well as a wood burning fireplace in the living area.

The room had a small box of laundry detergent, dishwasher supplies, soap, shampoo, etc. and was well stocked with those sorts of amenities. The grounds were well kept and quiet and relaxing (we had several little squirrels visit us the next morning).

This hotel is right night to a nature preserve, so you will see and hear animals at night too. The area is not well lit and is very dark, so I would not feel comfortable staying there alone as a female. The property felt safe, but that is just a personal opinion. The area is pretty far away from the beaten path of Phoenix, but you can hop on the highways and be just about anywhere in town in about 20 minutes.

You have your own central a/c which was great; you can be extra cool, which is important to us. There were also 2 ceiling fans in the unit to keep the air circulating. The unit was sparsley decorated but had cool Native American art on the walls.

The kitchen is stocked with pots, pans, utensils, etc. so if you wanted to cook here, you easily could. Check-in and check-out was very easy, though if you are checking in late, I would recommend calling to make sure somebody will be at the desk to help you. This is a time share property and it is in the process of being renovated, so I am guessing the management company is renting out the non-renovated units to make some revenue in the meantime.

My biggest complaint was that the carpet in our unit was FILTHY. It had big stains and felt like somebody had spilled candle wax all over it (when you walked on it, it crunched). It was really, really nasty. The rest of the unit felt very clean and was very comfortable.

This would be a great place to stay if you have kids or if you need long-term accommodations. It isn't luxurious, but it suited our needs for one night. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — Very large and spacious units. Excellent customer service.
  • Disliked — Far away from everything, very dirty carpet.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve? Share your experiences!