“Good but I expected more” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea's Kitchen

Chelsea's Kitchen
5040 N. 40th St. (Camelback Rd.), Phoenix, AZ 85018 (Camelback East)
602-957-2555
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Tampa, Florida
“Good but I expected more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the chelsea's burger. It was very good but the fries were cold. I also had an ice tea, I didn't realize it was flavored, but I wasnt told either. Anyway I was in a hurry and will come back again to try something else next time I'm in town.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Great ambiance and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I live in NYC, and was visiting family in Phoenix. They suggested this place, and it was delicious. Get their short rib tacos. They are insane. And they come with freshly made corn tortillas that are incredible. Top it with some guacamole, salsa, and kale cabbage...and it was one of the best tacos I have had. They also cater towards those who are gluten free, which also makes it easier for me. I only wish they had gluten free versions of the salted chocolate chip cookies they give out when you leave!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jackson, New Jersey
“Competent Cooking Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We ate here with relatives who live in Phoenix. It was very crowded and the first night we tried to get in we could not. When we did we had to wait a bit. Service was competent and courteous but not superb. We had a variety of foods from salad to sea food to steak. The food was well prepared but not exceptional in any sense. It was somewhat noisy and difficult to talk until a loud table near us left. I would recommend the restaurant as good but not worth any long wait.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Enjoyable outdoor dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went to Chelsea's Kitchen on July 4th and there was a wait. Because we wanted to go to Tempe to see fireworks we decided to sit on the patio outside. It was lovely. Nice and quiet and with the misters not too hot. Food was excellent. Highly recommend the swordfish tacos.

Visited July 2013
Bisbee, Arizona
“So sad when you choose a place based on the good reviews, and hate it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I am genuinely confused by the good reviews...were we at a different restaurant? Reviews refer to an airport location as well as the property listed here (which is where we ate), maybe the airport location is much better...

We arrived right as they were opening so no issues with waiting or parking. Chose to sit outside on the patio. It seemed nice until we realized that this obnoxiously loud automatic sliding door into the building would squeal open and closed every time a server walked by its sensor, in other words every 5 seconds or so.

The food was so bad that I literally ate a few bites and left the rest. Bland, under seasoned, served in a sloppy mess on the plate that looked ugly. Our server either didn't notice or didn't care as she didn't ask if everything was tasting good and didn't mention the fact that my food was barely touched when we asked for the check. My partner's sandwich was OK but nothing special. That kind of unprofessional service is usually sanctioned by the management, highly unlikely a server will act like that alone unless he knows that's how his boss will react if a customer gets a bad dish.

By the time we left there were a few more customers and we got a sense of Chelsea's clientele...older people (seemed to be mostly the 60+ crowd) with high end cars, lots of Porches and BMWs. I don't know if that's anything to do with the dissonance between our experience and the majority of reviews...maybe we're just not their target market. I am very into good food and happy to pay for it, but I do expect when I pay slightly high prices that the food will be excellent. I suspect that Chelsea's prices are more of an indication of the demographic they want to attract than of the quality you can expect on your plate.

• Visited July 2013