“A wonderful time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 52 activities in Phoenix
Type: Ranchs, Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Canyon Creek Ranch is nestled on 130 breathtaking acres in Cold Water Canyon, just twenty miles north of Phoenix in Black CanyonCity, Arizona. The ranch is surrounded by 71,000 acres of National Monument land, featuring rugged hills, fantastic volcanic formations, ancient Native American petroglyphs and the Agua Fria River. The ranch offers great views of the surrounding mountains and miles of natural Sonoran desert to explore and enjoy.
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“A wonderful time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

During our recent trip to Arizona, we wanted to do some "cowboy stuff". We read about western destinations and decided to give it a try. It was very enjoyable. There were two of us and they gave us our own personal "wrangler" for a horseback riding tour. Joe C was his name and he was delightful. He was very knowledgeable,very polite and it was a pleasure to have him as our guide. I wholeheartedly recommend Joe. He was wonderful.

After riding, we then spent time in the western town and played a number of games that were very enjoyable. After spending time in the town we had a very good lunch that was cooked on their open grill. The chicken was delicious and the sides of corn, grilled beans beans, slaw and potato salad were a nice end to a fun day.

Overall, we loved the experience and I have to say that everyone was so friendly. I have never seen such a truly nice group of people. Everyone was great and they all took time to thank us for choosing to visit their ranch.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Great day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I had a great trip last week with the folks from Western Destinations. Everyone from the guy who greeted our car and drove us in to the lady in the office to the person manning the gift shop was incredibly welcoming and kind. We especially had fun with our cowboy guide, Craig, who led us around the desert. I'm working on a novel about the Arizona Territory, and Craig was a wealth of information about horses and the history of the area. In their old west town, Brigit showed us around all the different games and was so sweet it was like playing with a new friend. The food was delicious--chicken and burgers right off the grill--and the desert views were amazing. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in the Phoenix area--tourists and locals alike!

Visited March 2013
Saskatchewan
20 attraction reviews
“Great Cowboy Experience for all ages!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We just spent a great day out at Canyon Creek Ranch. Our family ages 57, 42, 18 & 16 had a wonderful experience on the trail ride, western town, lunch and jeep tour. I won't repeat what others have said about the features, but will try to run down the positives and negatives to help those considering this excursion.
Negatives first:
I found the day long adventure to be very expensive, despite the package bundle they put together. For the 4 of us, it was over $644 with tax, plus tip. It certainly isn't an excursion most can afford, and was a once in this lifetime deal for us too. However if you have ever thought about going on a riding excursion off a cruise ship for example, the price becomes more reasonable in comparison and you get far more.
The jeep tour is not something you should consider if you have back or neck problems. It is far too rough terrain to travel without a visit to the doctor afterwards. Stick to the horses they walk very gently and won't set any land speed records.
Positives:
As with any adventure, if you are escorted by friendly helpful staff, you will be almost guaranteed a great time. These people are no exception, very kind and cater to your every request.
The scenery is out of this world and with the desert wildflowers in bloom it seemed surreal.
They really have strived to create an authentic atmosphere and that was very enjoyable.
This attraction would have recieved an excellent review from me had the cost been less expensive.

Sussex, WI
13 attraction reviews
“More than Just a Trail Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

When looking for horseback riding any where close to Sedona, I saw the same old, same old advertised, then I ran across Canyon Creek Ranch associated with Western Destinations. Reviews looked good so I made the inquiry for our 2 friends and us.

The lady handling reservations was so helpful, we were going at a very hot weather time, she suggested a 5 p.m. ride (because if it is too hot the horses don't go out before 5),Thank you for caring about the animals too! So a 5 p.m. ride it was. We arranged a meeting spot off the exit and followed our escorts back to the ranch.

We met Kevin who was awesome. He matched our horses to us for our various experience, we talked about the different horses while we were getting saddled up. By the way each trail ride is a private trail ride with your guide - not 50 horses all in a row. The horses seemed well cared for and they have over a 100 at this ranch. Along the trail ride we talked about flora & fauna as well as what it's like to be a modern day cowboy, the work involved, the hours, the care and in the case of a riding ranch working with the public. Kevin was very personable.

After the ride, we went to the town on the ranch where we were able to sit at the bar and order beer, wine or soda, included in the cost. We had decided to also make reservations for the dinner, which in my opinion matched or beat every dinner we had at restaurants for our 2 week vacation. The steak was cooked just right by the owner herself, with the serving help of her adorable grand daughter. The servings were more than filling.

Then the rest of our adventure began...first was the shooting of the pistols, For myself this was fun, because I had grown up in a family that shot guns and owned horses. For my friends it was as much fun to watch them as one of them had never touched a gun or a pistol and all the way from Sedona kept saying "We aren't really going to shoot guns are we"? "I am, you don't have to." Kevin was so patient, she had a fantastic time, and wanted to shoot more. From shooting we moved onto tomahawk throwing. Now this was new & fun for me - had no idea how heavy the tomahawks actually were. Kevin once again was patient, showing us techniques. We were never rushed to move on to the next portion. We then went to lasso throwing. I really didn't do well in this area no matter how hard the guys tried to help me.

Finally around 9:30 p.m. we decided we needed to get going, rather than rushing us off, it was "are you sure you you don't want to do anything again."

The evening was just fun, we had a great time and I would recommend it to anyone who just wants to enjoy their selves and have a good time. When you take the cost by the amount of time that was spent and the memories that were made, the memories were many and the cost was minor, plus we had a great dinner.

Thanks Canyon Creek Ranch - I'd recommend you anytime.

Visited September 2012
Columbia, South Carolina
“Cowboy up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was an awesome, unique experience. Joe C has been a cowboy all his life and made an excellent tour guide. Some of the excursions are a bit pricey, but the overall experience is definitely worth it. Thank you, Western Destinations!