“Indian Food on Thanksgiving” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Star of India

Star of India
4025 E Chandler Blvd Ste 14, Phoenix, AZ 85048-8830 (Ahwatukee Foothills)
(480) 706-1700
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #528 of 2,562 restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ahwatukee Foothills
Chandler, Arizona
“Indian Food on Thanksgiving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Unlike most restaurants, Star of India has been open on Thanksgiving (in recent years at least) for those of us who are not turkey eaters. The food has always been excellent, I like the convenient location and decor, and you certainly don't have to wait for a table on Thanksgiving. But if you are expecting friendly service with a smile you really should go somewhere else. I have been there at least twice on Thanksgiving and clearly remember that both times our waiter was not thankful to be there at all. But did I mention the food was something to be thankful for?

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“This place made me like Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was never a fan of Indian food until I ate here. The garlic naan, chicken korma, keema mater, tandoori chicken and chicken tikka masala are fabulous. The only downside is that Indian food (including the vegan/vegetarian options) are rich and heavy because of all the cream as well as butter used, not to mention the lamb. I would eat here more often but my liver objects to high-fat meals. This restaurant offers a wide variety of meat and vegetarian options. The best bet is to eat lunch here because the dinner prices are a little steep. If you're in a hurry, its best to call in your order ahead of time because the food is cooked to order. The owners are a lovely couple with the most adorable little girl.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Great food but bad at honoring deals! Beware Entertainmnet.com coupon holders.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Visited this Indian restaurant on our recent trip to Phoenix. We had to wait for about 5 minutes, at 9 pm to get a seat and it took eons for them to take our order, as they were more happy patronizing the local frequent visitors than someone new. And finally after the ordering we had to wait indefinitely to be served. After the meal when we were billed I showed the owner an authentic "Entertainment.com" coupon from the book we had purchased, for a buy one get one free entree, but the owner refused to honor it with a "no coupons tonight" and did not even bother looking at the coupon. I knew this was coming as he already a coupon to the guy at the table across us. I have reported this to Entertainment.com and am waiting to hear back from them. It is sad that restaurants such as these enroll in such programs but refuse to honor them.This is the typical complacency one sees when there is no competition around.The only saving grace was the good food which I guess is why these guys stay in business.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Norfolk, Virginia
“Only Indian Restaurant in Ahwatukee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you are looking for fabulous Indian food, this is not the place. However, if you're really craving some chicken tikka masala and don't want to leave Ahwatukee, this restaurant will do the trick. I usually go here when my daughter is begging for Indian, and I don't feel like driving 20 minutes to The Dhaba, which is more expensive but much better. I don't recommend the chicken pakora--it's usually made with skimpy, dry strips of leftover tandoor-style breast meat.
The service here is your typical semi-stiff, business-like Indian waiter, although the owner, if he's around, will thank you profusely and invite you to return soon.
There are better places just a bit farther afield in Chandler and Tempe, but, as I said, if you are in the neighborhood and suddenly feel like having Indian, Star of India is a safe bet.

Visited February 2013
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“My favorite Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Their food it excellent! I always get the lamb korma and garlic naan. You can't go wrong. Service is excellent. Serving portions are large.

Visited November 2012