“Great sushi & personal attention from the owner/chef - Wow!” 5 of 5 stars

55 N. 1st Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85003
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,018 of 2,668 Restaurants in Phoenix
phoenix az
“Great sushi & personal attention from the owner/chef - Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Amazing sushi at a great price with personal service from the owner - It doesn't get any better than this!

My friend and I have been trying out different sushi places all over town, and stopped in for lunch at this relatively new spot. We were welcomed with an enthusiastic traditional Japanese shouted welcome from the sushi chefs, and three steps through the door the hostess offered us a choice of two generous rolls from which to try a free sample. We could barely emit muffled "Mmmmm!'s" with our mouths crammed full of the fresh, spicy, crunchy concoctions. We were already delighted with this place!

I tried a Bento Box lunch. With the Bento, you choose your rice (steamed or fried), your protein (I tried the tempura shrimp - YUM!) and your salad/veggies at the counter, then pay, go fill your fountain drink and sit. By the time our butts hit the seats they were bringing my Bento Box with five steaming tempura shrimp sitting atop my selections. Although it was served in a humble "to go" type container, the meal was fresh, hot, crisp and authentically seasoned (not the cheap, syrupy glop you get at mall food courts.) It was also more than I could possibly eat and it was only $8.

My friend's "tower" also came out impossibly quickly after we sat down, especially considering it looked like a work of art! The good natured chef who prepared and served it turned out to be the owner, and WOW, what a nice guy! He gave us the VIP treatment, joking around warmly with us, explaining that the tower was meant to be mixed before consuming it, (which seemed a real shame, given the obvious care and artistry that went into the presentation!) Then, whipping out two spoons, he deconstructed it with flourish. When my friend took the first bite, I thought she was going to break into a rendition of the famous "When Harry Met Sally" orgasm scene! She insisted I try a bite and it was indeed fabulous.

We were already over the moon, but the owner wasn't finished with us yet. He insisted we sample one more of his creations - on the house! He gave us a choice of salmon or tuna. Out came two identical, absolutely gorgeous salmon-topped balls of purple rice, decorated with perfect slivers of chive and, of course, wasabi and ginger. When we tried these, we were floored. Best salmon sashimi I have ever tasted in my 48 years of being a Japanese-American! Melted in the mouth, seriously. That fish was so tender, it is amazing it didn't just fall apart while swimming in the ocean!

But wait, there's more! Despite the fact that such quality for such reasonable prices is already a great deal, from 2pm - 5pm everything goes on sale for half price! WHAT?!? No way! I think I have to go get a downtown job so I can eat a late lunch daily at these bargain prices...and then I'll take home some more for dinner from the large variety of "to go" sushi in the take out case...and then I'll come back on October 7th when they extend their hours to start serving dinner...

Oh, and if you have to use the restroom, it's a fun adventure. Check it out and tell me you didn't feel like you were Alice in Wonderland, fallen down the crazy rabbit hole!

• Visited September 2013