“Authentic” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Scottsdale, AZ
“Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a craving for Cantonese so we gave Great Wall. The place is a local asian community hot spot. The food is us just the way it should be. We had a fresh fish which was pricey and the reason for only 4 stars. The food was great.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbus, Ohio
“Come for authentic Chinese, not standard take-out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I should quality this review by saying that I am the son of Chinese immigrants It's hard to find authentic Chinese food in the Phoenix metro area. Even places that are owned by Chinese people have changed their menus to cater to the American palates. I used to go to this authentic place near ASU, but it closed because they didn't serve sweet & sour, egg foo yung, general tso's etc. I just happened to find this place, while my parents were in town recently. We had stir fried pea tendrils, roasted duck, stir fried lobster, and tofu with mushrooms. The pea tendrils and duck were my favorites of the evening. Here is the secret to good Chinese food: bold flavors that actually complement and enhance the dish, but do not overpower it. MSG appeals to American palates because of the sodium, but it absolutely overpowers any meats or vegetables. I didn't taste any MSG at Great Wall. Garlic, ginger and soy sauce were used in a balanced manner, and this is why I loved this place. The dining room is a little cramped, and the decor is cheesy, but otherwise the best Chinese I've had in AZ.

Visited March 2013
EDMONTON
“We were hesitant . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

to try a dim sum restaurant when the one we love at home is SO good. Well, we found Great Wall passed all of our expectations. The service is fabulous - everything we asked for was delivered to our table very quickly. All of the dim sum dishes we tried were very good - some different from what we were accustomed to, but actually, just as good or better than our standby at home. The bill was the amount that we'd normally be happy to spend, so we felt the value for the dollar was excellent. We'd strongly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves dim sum! Jumbo in Edmonton could learn a thing or two about dim sum from the Great Wall. Well done, folks, and happy new year.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glendale, Arizona
“Yum! Dim Sum.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This place has fantastic dim sum at extremely reasonable prices - tab came to less than $30 for 3 of us although we ate quite a bit and took boxes to go. Excellent service too. I especially enjoyed the sesame balls which, instead of red bean had something that tasted like anise inside which was a nice change, and the size was such that you could pop them in your mouth. The barbeque pork buns were nice and full of filling, and the shu mai's were extra plump. The dining room is very clean as they are constantly tidying up and have never had to wait to be seated and served. I am so glad we found this place on the west/central side of town and don't have to travel far for great dim sum.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surprise, Arizona
“Best dim sum in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

If you are an Asian traveling to this part of the world craving for Asian breakfast, this is the place to go for a great morning with dim sum breakfast. Food is fresh with variety of dim sum dishes and reasonable price. I can say that these are the original taste without much MSG flavoring... I would definitely visit Great Wall cuisine again.

• Visited December 2012