“Great Authenic Mexican Food ~ Painfully Slow Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Poncho's Mexican Food

Poncho's Mexican Food
7202 S Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85042-5425 (South Mountain)
602-276-2437
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: South Mountain
Neighborhood: South Mountain
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Authenic Mexican Food ~ Painfully Slow Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Poncho's was my favorite place to go in South Phoenix for my Mexican food fix. I've been coming here since 1985. The chips are always fresh and the creamy red salsa is the best in Phoenix, My favorite dish is the Sonoran enchilada, a thick masa patty smothered in red chili sauce, topped with fresh onions and black olives. The fresh pinto beans and rice are amazing, seasoned to perfection. I've tried just about everything on the menu and have always been happy with the food. My only complaint is the terribly slow service. This was the 4th time in a row we had to wait, and wait and wait. It took 20 minutes to get our soft drinks, 30 minutes to get our food and another 10 to get our check. We were there at 2:30 in the afternoon and one of a handful of customers. I love the food at Poncho's but will not be going back, the aggravation of the inattentive wait staff and manager isn't worth it. Good Bye Poncho's

• Visited January 2014

Victor, Idaho, United States
“Best Mexican food ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I go back to Poncho's every time I go to Phoenix. The food is the most delicious Mexican food I have ever had. I wait 5-10 minutes to get in every time but once I'm in, the food is delivered quickly and with a smile. I love this place and I recommend it to everyone.

• Visited November 2013
Phoenix Arizona
“Flavorful and Hot.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

After trying to take a work associate out to lunch at one of my favorite Mexican food spot not far away, which was close for their yearly vacation. We drove down the street to one of my wife's favorite places from when she was a teacher on South Phoenix. (Yes I am in trouble for going without her). Luckily our quest loves it spicy and hot. The salsa had just the right kick and we were off on a taste treat. One of us had the Carne Asada. He was pleased though it wasn't in the form he is use to. Our guest and I had the Pollo Fundido, which is a wonderfully flavored deep fried Chimichunga with a Jalapeno Cream Cheese on top. It was first rate. The chicken was very flavorful, the tortilla was crisp and the Fundido sauce was perfect and plentiful. We were all 3 satisfied. I was happily full and our guest was very impressed. He views food as I do. The best places aren't chains restaurants. They are family owned and run. They provide authentic meals and they leave you with tasty memories to share with others not fortunate enough to go. Visit for good food and go early to get a table. You will be happy! They even have a take away window.

• Visited July 2013
Greensburg, Indiana
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

First time visitor to Ponchos. It was great. I read about it and it said Bill Clinton had eaten here. We were seated at the table he ate. Had his picture painted on wall along with a secret service agent!!! That was the original draw for us. As it turned out, the food was amazing. Chips and salsa were offered first. Hot and crispy. We ordered the Steak Picado and the big sampler platter. Both were excellent. Our favorite item on the sampler was the tamales. Best I ever had! The service was great. Our server was named Darlene. She very helpful. Our drinks were always refilled. She even had a drink for us, as we left. Bill brought us in, but the food will bring us back!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona
“A little disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have eaten here many times over the years and always thought it was one of the better mexican restaurants in the valley. I ate there recently and was very dissappointed. The chips were covered in grease, the taco meat was awful, the place was not as clean as it used to be, and the service was not good at all. I wonder if the ownership has changed. I won't be going back any time soon.

• Visited January 2013