“Best Chinese restaurant I ever tried.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gourmet House of Hong Kong

Gourmet House of Hong Kong
1438 E Mcdowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85006-2937 (Encanto)
602-253-4859
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,066 of 2,426 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Neighborhood: Encanto
Neighborhood: Encanto
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Best Chinese restaurant I ever tried.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I know, right? Phoenix, who knew? And on a pretty gritty street. But do not be deceived.

First: Remember the Law of Chinese Restaurant Décor: the better the décor, the worse the food. That said, this place is three bare, noisy, at times crowded Pepto-Bismol pink rooms with flipchart pages and construction paper signs in Chinese on the walls. In other words, the ambience is sublime.

The service is friendly if a bit slow. I have waited for my check several times -- and it's worth it. This place has the finest Chinese food I have yet found in the US. My favorite thing on the menu (at least the one in English) is pepper salt squid. I've never had a bite of bad food in this place, though some things are so authentic as to be beyond most Western palates. I love the fried peanut amuse-bouche, the cheap tea, the wonderful abundant jasmine rice. These folks serve you chopsticks unless you request otherwise, if I recall.

I'm a working chef who lived 6 years in Phoenix, a student of Chef Rhoda Yee, and I say this is better than anyplace (save maybe one or two) in San Francisco, where I also lived.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Phoenix
“Don't let the outside scare you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'd been driving by the Gourmet House of Hong Kong for years never knowing that inside is some of the best Chinese food in the Valley! My husband started taking me there two years ago and I just can't get enough.

My favorite dish on the menu is the Honey Walnut Shrimp. SO GOOD! And as another reviewer said they really do have the best Hot and Sour soup ever.

Go. Eat. I promise you won't regret it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“gourmet house of roach dung”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

gourmet house of roach dung

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Menu is huge, food is really good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2007

Menu is huge, food is really good!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“After hearing rave reviews I had high expectations. Maybe I'm spoiled cause I'm from SF, but the chinese here was just...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

After hearing rave reviews I had high expectations. Maybe I'm spoiled cause I'm from SF, but the chinese here was just alright. best in the area, but stilll...