“Must sit at the Sushi Bar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shogun Restaurant

Shogun Restaurant
12615 N Tatum Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85032-7710 (Paradise Valley)
(602) 953-3264
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Must sit at the Sushi Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have been going for years to Shogun. The sushi is very good. There are a number of "off-menu" items. Just ask. The Sunshine roll is a favorite. Fresh tuna mixed with sriracha and mayo on top of a crab roll. Yumm! The suicidal spider is also good. Make sure to finish with the Vegas Roll. The little kids love the "PB&J Roll."
Warning: Your service declines significantly if you expect to be served sushi in the dining room. The servers have to cajole the sushi chefs into making their sushi orders. This last time it took forever to get our order. Just sit at the sushi bar if you can. The chef will serve you directly and quickly.
The wait staff is hit or miss here. I have seen servers switch tickets to get their sushi made earlier. The management is lacking.

BUT, the sushi is amazing.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tucson, Arizona
“Amazing portions and excellent prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am going to guess that the regulars are not reviewing to keep the crowds down! However, I must admit this is my favorite sushi place in the Tucson area. I would not say they have the "best" sushi, but definitely the best value and for me, atmosphere. I enjoy Shogun and they always give amazing portions. Each data they have special rolls that are 1/2 price. The saki bomb prices are outstanding. Give it a try, just not too often as I hate crowds (smile).

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Custom made sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I love sushi and Shogun is close to our home. The last time we wnet to Shogun, we sat at the sushi bar. We told the sushi chef what we wanted and he made a special sushi roll for us. Some of the best sushi we ever had.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Ohh, the quail egg shooter !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went with friends, who are regulars and weren't disappointed. I haven't eaten a lot of sushi - mainly pre-made rolls, and this fresh stuff was just great. Tina, Wahu and Yellowtail were really, really good. Also , ask for the Big Johnson - tuna and eel roll in an interesting shape.....
It was my birthday and I had to chug a Quail egg shooter (half a wine glass) - Sake, soy sauce, chile sauce and sesame seeds - WHOA ! I even got a birthday candle in desert.
Over all, a really great night with great food !!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Worst Japanese Restaurant in Phoenix”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I don't like writing bad reviews on any restaurant, but after trying this place several times, I have to vote it the worst Japanese Restaurant I've ever eaten at. They advertise it as "the best sushi in town." Hmmm! Not even close! As a matter of fact, dead last. Their sushi is the most lacking in variety and flavor than any place else. For those of you whom are sushi connoisseurs, you know that there are many great sushi restaurants in metro Phoenix that offer a wonderful variety of all types of delicious sushi, sashimi and rolls. Do not come here for the sushi for you'll be sadly disappointed. They used to have a special dish they bragged up called, Lobster Dynamite. I was so looking forward to trying that! It's nothing more than...well...the only descriptive word I can come up with is "slop." It's in this little homemade tin foil dish, it's oily with tiny bits of lobster in it. Yuck is all I can say! There are clearly no sushi chefs in that kitchen! I'm sure they must only hire more low end cooks. The test to any good Japanese restaurant is that there has to be sushi chefs in the kitchen.

The restaurant really does have a lovely decor and ambiance. For that, I give it very high marks. I have tried a couple other menu items, but again, the food is just so so. It seems to be fairly busy every time I've gone, so some people like it anyway. I guess it's just a matter of opinion!

• Visited March 2012