“Ohh, the quail egg shooter !!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shogun Restaurant

Shogun Restaurant
12615 N Tatum Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85032-7710 (Paradise Valley)
(602) 953-3264
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Brisbane, Australia
“Ohh, the quail egg shooter !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went with friends, who are regulars and weren't disappointed. I haven't eaten a lot of sushi - mainly pre-made rolls, and this fresh stuff was just great. Tina, Wahu and Yellowtail were really, really good. Also , ask for the Big Johnson - tuna and eel roll in an interesting shape.....
It was my birthday and I had to chug a Quail egg shooter (half a wine glass) - Sake, soy sauce, chile sauce and sesame seeds - WHOA ! I even got a birthday candle in desert.
Over all, a really great night with great food !!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Phoenix, Arizona
“Worst Japanese Restaurant in Phoenix”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I don't like writing bad reviews on any restaurant, but after trying this place several times, I have to vote it the worst Japanese Restaurant I've ever eaten at. They advertise it as "the best sushi in town." Hmmm! Not even close! As a matter of fact, dead last. Their sushi is the most lacking in variety and flavor than any place else. For those of you whom are sushi connoisseurs, you know that there are many great sushi restaurants in metro Phoenix that offer a wonderful variety of all types of delicious sushi, sashimi and rolls. Do not come here for the sushi for you'll be sadly disappointed. They used to have a special dish they bragged up called, Lobster Dynamite. I was so looking forward to trying that! It's nothing more than...well...the only descriptive word I can come up with is "slop." It's in this little homemade tin foil dish, it's oily with tiny bits of lobster in it. Yuck is all I can say! There are clearly no sushi chefs in that kitchen! I'm sure they must only hire more low end cooks. The test to any good Japanese restaurant is that there has to be sushi chefs in the kitchen.

The restaurant really does have a lovely decor and ambiance. For that, I give it very high marks. I have tried a couple other menu items, but again, the food is just so so. It seems to be fairly busy every time I've gone, so some people like it anyway. I guess it's just a matter of opinion!

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cotopaxi, Colorado
“Great Japanese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

My wife and I went here for dinner, we have been eating at the Shogun for at least ten years. We like the food and try to visit several times a year. They have a huge sushi and sashimi menu but we didn’t order from it because we have our favorites. My wife loves their vegetable tempura. I ordered the Shogun shrimp which is an udon noodle stir fry. The service was fast and everything was prepared as we requested it. We like the Shogun since it has a reasonable menu with a lot of choices. They remodeled and expanded a few years ago so they have a big bar area. We like the atmosphere too. On thing to be aware of is that they are closed between 2:30 and 5 pm as well as Sunday mornings. They are a solid five dots.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“best Sushi and sake bomber deal in AZ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

you have to try the surfer roll! It's absolutely awesome! $6 sake bombs all day every day! You can't beat that deal anywhere...

Scottsdale, Arizona
“You can't beat the sushi at this place in this town!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I recently brought a party of 16 people to Shogun Restaurant in Phoenix, and WOW. That is a tall order, but the food was melt in your mouth delicious, the servers waited on us hand and foot and kept everything flowing from the second we were seated until the minute we departed. I give this place two very strong thumbs up and would go there again alone or with a large party. The patio is amazing!! My sincerest thanks to the staff for making me look good for having chose Shogun as the place to host my party. Thank you!!