“as real as it gets” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comedor Guadalajara

Comedor Guadalajara
1830 S Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85004-2939 (Central City)
602-253-8299
Neighborhood: Central City
Phoenix, Arizona
“as real as it gets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

now i know a lot of spanish places will say theyre authentic. then they serve the same combs and the same crap. not here. they are as real as they come brother. no hint of taco bell in here let me tell you. beautiful place. why arent you eating there now?

• Visited September 2013

Peoria, Arizona
“Wonderful meal!!! How did I not know about this place?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I live in the Phoenix area and have for 30 years. I know my Mexican food having eaten at tons of local restaurants and working with some of the best home cooks. I consider myself a true foodie, so how this place slipped by me is a mystery. At the suggestion of a friend's coworkers, another couple, and my husband and I, drove to this restaurant on a Saturday at around 6. First, the neighborhood is perfectly safe. It's just an older part of downtown Phoenix. Just a few blocks up are some of the trendier restaurants in Phoenix. We did not have to wait for a table and were surprised by the vastness of this place. It is huge inside. Just about every table was filled with families enjoying their meals.
We started with the chips and salsa that were crisp, fresh, and addicting. The salsas were the authentic, thin, "pack a punch of heat" variety that I love. Next we ordered our very reasonably priced combos. I am always a little apprehensive about ordering chicken dishes in Mexican restaurants because many places what equates to boiled or canned chicken in their dishes. Not this place! The grilled chicken inside my burrito was grilled to perfection and had a wonderful flavor. Floating inside the burrito were jalapenos, onions and tomatoes in a very flavorful sauce. I opted for the red and green sauces smothered on top of my burrito. Both were delicious!
I judge Mexican restaurants by their beans. The refried beans did not disappoint. Pink, creamy and wonderful. Rice was the kind the home cooks at my former place of employment made. Very good and authentic!
My husband ordered the green chile beef burrito platter and the beef melted in your mouth. All of our burritos were served on fresh, homemade tortillas. For dessert, the flan was very creamy and delicious. Our friendly waiter made our first visit an enjoyable one.
My only regret is that we did not know about the restaurant's specialty, which are Parrilladas. Everyone was eating this wonderful looking feast of a combination of meats or seafood, onions, tomatoes and spices, served family style. Next time, that will be our choice.
I can't wait to go back to this well established gem!

portland
“Love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Dont let the outside appearance of the resto fool you. The decor inside is modern, airy, and the atmosphere screams great food. We come this resto whenever we visit Phoenix. It's a local favorite and it shows in the service, the staff, and of course the food. Love the food and the drinks!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Jersey
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were driving into Phoenix at 7:30 on a Sunday and we called in our order. It's a good thing we did, since the place was packed and there was a wait to be seated when we arrived. Luckily, the entire dine-in menu is available for takeout. We both opted for the Green Chile Tomatillo Shrimp Enchiladas. The corn tortillas were overstuffed with big shrimp, swimming in a silky, smoky, tangy and incredibly flavorful sauce. Truly one of the best Mexican meals we have ever had. The meal came with rice and refried beans, which were fine, but we didn't want to fill up on anything but the enchiladas. Our only suggestion would be to combine the "seafood" link with the "appetizers and entrees" link on the online menu. The way that it is now, there is just a small selection of seafood items listed on the appetizer and entrees menu, and that selection does not include these amazing enchiladas. I just assumedvthat all entrees were on the entree link. If my better half hadn't explored the seafood menu, I would have missed out on an exceptional meal.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Albondigas and Service too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was looking for a place near downtown for quick bowl of Albondigas, and I searched it online - all signs pointed to this place - so here I came. I knew I was in the right place when I saw the line out the door on a Wednesday at 12:30pm. I decided to roll the dice and wait it out for the 20-25 minutes and sure enough at minute 24 I got the call. Needless to say it was worth the wait, I was seated and immediately served chips and salsa, my drink order taken and delivered, my server was very efficient and friendly. I even got a soup appetizer with my Soup meal, a first for me. The Albondigas was exceptional, the broth was rich and flavorful, the vegetables were perfectly tender it was a fantastic experience and I strongly recommend this restaraunt.