“Awesome Tacos” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome Tacos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

By far the best tacos I've found in Phoenix, and that's saying something. In Phoenix, you can't go a block without seeing a taqueria, but La Condesa brings authentic Mexican flavors and gourmet ingredients for super flavorful tacos. From the traditional al pastor to pacific shark tacos, definitely worth a stop.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Phoenix, Arizona
“One of Phoenix's Best Kept Secrets!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I can't say enough good about this great little restaurant. Honestly.

I always eat out when the general public isn't out in force, and I love going to La Condesa in the middle of the afternoon on weekdays. Many good restaurants have the afternoon restaurant "limbo" period where they close until dinner, but it's great that this place doesn't.

Every single thing I've tried there is so good I wind up benchmarking most other Mexican-style restaurants against La Condesa. Starting with their tortilla chips and salsa, the chips are always super fresh, and their salsa bar is the best I've ever seen; all home/hand-made gourmet salsas, TWELVE in all, obviously all made fresh. Each one by itself is incredibly great, while I have about 5 favorites I always focus on.

I got addicted to their mole sauce. That's surprising for me because I'm not a big chocolate fan at all, and the first time I saw mole sauce, just the idea sickened me! Plus the first time I tried it, the person who made it really didn't know what they were doing -- but that all did a serious about-face once I tried La Condesa's. It's hard to not order their mole chicken, but if you want to try another truly interesting and great gourmet taco, burro, or bowl, try their Pork al Pastor, it'll blow you away too. I recently tried it burro style, and with some fresh tortilla chips and a half dozen cups of various salsas, it was almost too much to eat -- I chose to just have ice water with the meal, and the whole tab came to about $9-bucks. Even when you just want water they bring you a glass filled with ice and lime wedges, and a stopper-type liter sized bottle of ice cold water.

Service is always fantastic too. There isn't a whole lot of room in the place, maybe 15 tables and bar seating as well, which is why I also like going there when the crowds aren't around. They're open for breakfast on Saturday's and Sunday's, I haven't been there during those times but I'd bet my bottom dollar they make a killer Huevos Rancheros!

This is certainly a must visit restaurant if you haven't eaten there before -- I almost don't want to write such a great review because they do enough business as it is, and I don't want to ruin one of my favorite places to go! I'm picky, but not unrealistically so -- it's not often I'll write a 1-star review, and the same goes for 5-stars. This place is absolutely a solid FIVE STAR restaurant, hands down IMHO.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Angeles, Washington
“Awesome Chow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place is a hidden gem! Don't let the exterior or surrounding neighborhood discourage you - this place is great! One of the best margaritas ever and the tacos were fabulous! Beans and rice served with our meal could not have been better. Can't wait to go back!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York, NY
“"Gourmet tacos" is exactly right. Classy and down-to-earth.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Moved to Phoenix recently, and this is the place I eat at most often. When you first come here from the East coast as I did, you may realize that you've never had good Mexican food before. There are lots and lots of traditional taquerias here in Phoenix, and I like that stuff, but let's face it, the ingredients are very cheap, and the cooking technique tends to be crude. Here at Condesa there is a real artist making your tacos from the best ingredients, and it's still well priced. About twice as much as one of the downscale places, maybe, but so, so much better tasting and almost certainly more nutritious.

I was told before going that they had a salsa bar with many varieties, and I shrugged. Who cares about salsa? I do, now. This is another reason I now believe that I never had real Mexican food before. The variety and deliciousness of the salsas is reason enough to come here, even if the tacos and burros weren't poetically delicious and beautiful. Pecan salsa, tomatillo, sesame, salsa Mexicana, jicama, radish, 7 chiles. It's overwhelming, in the best possible way.

My favorite items: the Condesa Special burro with Arrachera steak and grilled vegetables. The Oaxacan black mole chicken, in taco or burro form. The Condesa Special taco with grilled shrimp and grilled veggies. Also the house margarita is unusually good, and often has delicious chunks of grapefruit in it.

They are opening another location in Tempe, I think? I would like to see locations all over this area. They are artists who do a good business, and I want them to prosper beyond their wildest dreams. Be prepared for a wait if you go at lunch on a weekday or dinner on a weekend. The secret is out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best salsas in Phoenix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I have lived in the valley for over a decade. First thing I will say is that the salsas here are great to dip your chips into. There are MANY. It is very refreshing. The service I had was good as well. I asked for recommendations. I was recommended the mole quesadilla. Quesadilla and mole are two dishes I usually am not a fan of; however, I took the plunge and it was WONDERFUL. The quesadilla was made with a corn tortilla that was HOME MADE with LOVE. Few restaurants, even thoe much more expensive, do this. I have to do this at home. So great to see a restaurant go to the extent they do prepping this excellence. A complaint might be that the neighborhood is rough. Don't judge a book by the cover as when you walk in the door you will see some beautiful art work on the walls and an excellent distinctive interior. The server was very warm, inviting, and friendly. This is one of my favorite spots nowadays. I have never been there on the weekend as I suspect it may be packed out. The restaurant is very small which is likely the reason they can offer the quality they do here. The menu was surprisingly large for the staff I saw working at lunch.

My only complaint is that this restaurant is excellent; however, it is far from home. I wish they were out in the East Valley. : )

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere