“Great food, intement setting, winning lobster risotto.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coup des Tartes

Coup des Tartes
4626 N 16th St, Phoenix, AZ 85016-5109 (Camelback East)
602-212-1082
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Cross street: Highland
Description: Housed in a 1930s farmhouse with wood floors and coved ceilings, Coup des Tartes is the intimate and romantic dining spot in Phoenix. Seating just 38 guests, Coup des Tartes has provided guests with one of the most acclaimed dining experiences in the Valley for the last ten years. A seasonally changing menu features the highest quality ingredients and locally grown produce. Favorite dishes include Brie Brulee - warm brie topped with caramelized apples, Roquefort salad with figs and hazelnuts, and Pork Tenderloin with a pear brandy sauce and crumbled bacon. The desserts are of course not to be missed and the signature Banana Brulee Tarte with its crunchy caramel and creamy coconut custard over bananas can't be compared. Coup des Tartes was voted Best BYOBs by the Phoenix New Times. Guests may bring along their favorite wine or champagne for a small corking fee. Coup des Tartes is the place to come for that special night out. Please call us directly for parties of 6 or more
“Great food, intement setting, winning lobster risotto.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

My visit to this restaurant was with a friend and we got to sample some great dishes. First be warned that this is a BYOB place and they do charge a corkage fee, so don't be shocked.

We decided on a lobster risotto and an onion tart as starters. Both were very tasty and the risotto was heavenly. Not to downgrade the tart, but the flavor was amazing.

Entree included a halibut and a pork dish. The fish was well prepared and served with seabeans. This sea weed was tasty and I am not sure if it or the fish had a hint of curry. The port, while tasty was a bit tough. That being said the flavor from the mushrooms along side more than compensated. Dessert was a very limited menue of 3 items. A lemon tart, a chocolate hazelnut cream and a chocolate lave cake with raspberries. We chose the tart and it was very tart. If you love lemon, this was a delight along with a nice cappuccino.

All in all its a very small place with nice service and a menu that produces some great flavors. I can't wait to give them another try. I know the lobster risotto will definitely put this place back on the list.

• Visited June 2013

87% Recommend
Phoenix, Arizona
“One of the Best Dinners in Phoenix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Coup des Tartes is one of my favorite places to eat in Phoenix and we usually try to go a few times a year. I would recommend making a reservation in advance, as it can be hard to get in. We typically go with a rather large group and call about 2-3 weeks in advance. Additionally, if you're interested in going during restaurant week, try for an earlier reservation as they can run out of some of the offerings by the end of the evening.

Service is usually very nice but unhurried, so plan on being there for a little bit. The escargot is always a treat and the lamb shank is absolutely amazing. You can tell the lamb shank has been cooking for some time as the flavors are really infused and the meat just falls off the bone. The chocolate caramel tart is one of the best desserts I have ever had. It is really rich, so if you're not into rich desserts plan on sharing. In my case, I love rich desserts and while I usually share with my husband, I make him get his own slice here.

The BYOB policy is a nice way to save a little money, but the corking fee is $10/bottle if my memory serves me. While this is a little more than other BYOB places I've been to, it's nice to be able to bring something you know you're going to enjoy.

• Visited September 2012
Red Bank, New Jersey
“Another great dinner at Coup De Tartes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I travel every week and eat at some of the best restaurants in the country...Coup de tartes is one of my favorites...From the time they greet you at the door until you leave everyone that works there makes you feel welcome.. The service is friendly and outstanding. Everyone clears their plate at Coup de Tartes its so delicious. The Sea Bass is perfect. This place is perfect for dinner, romance and fun...Really one of my favorites..Save room for the berry tartes for desert. This is a BYOB so bring a great bottle of wine. Cant wait to go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona
“Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stopped in for a bite. We had two selections. The mozzarella & tomato salad, wonderful and refreshing ! We also tried the country plate. A great assortment of cheeses, nuts, fruits.
(FYI, this is a BYOB place). Looking forward to going back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix
“Intimate French BYOB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I'd driven by Coup des Tartes for years, but finally tried it last year. A group of us all have birthdays in February, so we figured we'd all come here to celebrate. The proprietor was extremely friendly and accomodating. We had a group of 8 and she set up a private room towards the back for us. It took a while for everybody to arrive and they never rushed us or made us feel hurried. The menu changes seasonally, and there is something there for everybody. The BYOB policy is awesome, as it allows you to save a little money on the tab and spend it on apps, dessert, and after dinner espresso. Super friendly, accomodating, and great food.

Visited February 2013