“Simply Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Durant's

Durant's
2611 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85004-1118 (Encanto)
602-264-5967
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Durant's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 2,566 restaurants in Phoenix
Cross street: Virginia
USA
“Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I grew up in Phoenix, but hadn't been to Durant's in 15 years. I was more than impressed on my recent return visit. I was pleased right off the bat, walking through the bustling kitchen, feeling the heat from the grill and drinking in the intoxicating smell of great steaks cooking. The atmosphere is old school in the extreme, but it does not feel worn or tired. The place was hopping, especially for a Thursday night in the summer, but we were shown straight to our table. From that moment on, the entire staff at Durant's put on a clinic in fine dining. The service was friendly, attentive and professional, but allowed us to enjoy our meal at a leisurely pace. From the throw-back iced vegetables and delectable house bread, through oysters and shrimp cocktails, great salads and homemade soups, to thick slices of prime rib that were as good as you can find in the Valley, it was a magnificent feast. Don't miss the AuGratin potatoes, they are rich, creamy and certain to please. The wine list was generous and offered great options across a variety of price ranges.

This place is legend for a reason, because they are the best! From Phoenix to New York, San Francisco to Sydney and Singapore to Dubai, I have eaten steak on every continent that has restaurants and Durant's is one of the very best.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
  • Turkish first
“Great steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Reasonable priced old time steak house. Atmosphere of the steak house of years ago, but foot lives up to billing

“World-class service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

It's a steakhouse. I'm a vegetarian. So, what's to like? Well, everything - they whipped up a delicious vegetable plate for me at dinner. There are plenty of salads to choose from. They have added a broiled veggie burger to their lunch menu. And their desserts... But, mainly I want to talk about the service. You'll feel like a guest at a 5-star hotel. Perfectly friendly with just the right dash of formality.

Adelaide, Australia
“Durant's for delectable cuisine and first class (yet unpretentious) service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I chose Durant's as the location for a reunion with a family member. Though I'd anticipated this occasion for more than a decade, until recently, it was little more than a dream. I am not from Phoenix and was completely unfamiliar with area restaurants. I required a restaurant with superior service, exceptional cuisine, warm ambience and fine acoustics. Plus, I needed an early dinner reservation on a Sunday when most dining establishments in Phoenix are closed. After searching for the perfect location for one of the most monumental evenings of my life, I decided to trust the staff at Durant's.

The experience was seamless. I arrived early to a warm welcome and immediate seating. The romantic lighting, plush booths, tasteful art all served to set the celebratory mood. The waitress Michelle delivered faultless service with impeccable timing and sharp attention to our every need. The oysters were fleshy, with medium salt and mineral tones. The lobster was perfectly prepared, fresh and succulent. The steak was so tender and juicy, it dissolved in my mouth. The portions were generous. My only lament is that Durant's is not closer to my home. Now I have another reason to return to Phoenix.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Over Rated and Over Priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Over rated overpriced. Friends took me to this Phoenix legend on a Saturday evening. While some folks may think that it is a nice touch to have to enter the restaurant through the kitchen, I found it to be inconvenient and unnecessary and it certainly did not add anything to my dining experience. The service was acceptable, but not what I would expect from a restaurant that has the reputation of Durant’s. The food was overpriced for the quality and quantity of the meal. The only part of the meal that I really enjoyed was the shrimp cocktail and the accompanying sauce. This restaurant advertises itself as the home of “Great Steaks”. I was unpleasantly surprised to see firsthand these “Great Steaks” as I walked through the kitchen twice. All of the steaks that I saw waiting to go on the grill were in vacuumed sealed plastic and not hand cut on site. I had the New York Strip steak for $40 plus, and it was not very tender and not very favorable. I tried one of our parties Rib Eye and found it to be the same. I can now say that I have been to Durant’s and I cannot recommend it as the quality does not live up to the price of the meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere