“A Bit of Country France in Scottsdale” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Au Petit Four
2501 E Camelback Rd, Ste 18, Phoenix, AZ 85016-4270 (Camelback East)
602-852-9668
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,115 of 2,564 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Bakery, Dessert, French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A Bit of Country France in Scottsdale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Until recently I had not heard about Au Petit Four, which is now located in downtown Scottsdale. I heard about this little cafe on a television review and decided to try it. And I was very pleasantly surprised. Now I would not consider myself an expert on classical French cuisine, but I have been to France five times, and to Quebec (French Canada) over one dozen times, and I do have a critical opinion of good food. Au Petit Four is not much for atmosphere, it is truly a neighborhood cafe, but one does not eat atmosphere. I found the lunch menu to contain many traditional French bistro items such as crepes, croques, soups, sandwiches and of course pastries. In most Americanized French restaurants, crepes are rolled around the filling, resembling a Mexican enchilada. Here the crepe I had was large, beautifully cooked and just folded in half over a delicious filling of chicken, ham, fresh parsley and mixed with a light cream sauce. It came with a fresh, crisp salad that was topped with a Dijon mustard dressing that was full of flavor. Frankly it was delicious. For dessert I ordered a pear and almond tart that had just a hint of marzipan flavoring. It was so good, I bought two more to take home. I am now looking forward to taking another friend who was born and raised in Montreal, Quebec and who has also been to France. I read several of the negative reviews where the restaurant was looked upon as not having genuine French food. In my opinion, those reviewers were wrong unless they were looking for haute cuisine. This is a family run cafe or bistro. And it is good - very good!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Phoenix, Arizona
“Not good at all”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

If ONLY I had read Trip Advisor first ...
I took a friend with whom I had been to France with some years ago, it was her birthday so I chose Au Petit Four because I thought it would be fun to have French food.
I asked the owner (?) for a wine list, he said all he had was rose. I have spent 35 years to-ing and fro-ing from France - have drunk gallons of rose over they ears - and never had anything like what he poured - it was dreadful, sweet, sticky, nasty. I have never had white zinfandel but imagine that is what he was trying to palm off on us.
After being polite for some moments I thought no, this is rubbish and asked if he might have a sauvignon blanc - anything dry. No, he had no SB. And this is a French restaurant? No Sancerre, no nothing?
He served a refrigerated red which - after it had warmed up it was not too bad - and for $9.50 a glass, I should hope not.
But it was the food that was spectacularly dull - and salad greens that had not been washed I am quite sure ...
The place is lacklustre, not that clean, things I would not even mention had the food been such a dud. I spent $50 and it was worth about $10. If that.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, AZ
“Revisiting and "old favorite"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Revisiting an “old time” favorite.
It had not visited Au Petit Four since they moved Phoenix – 2501 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ to Scottsdale – 7217 East 4th Avenue, Scottsdale, AZ (480)946-3834. The new location is more spacious; but not as attractive as the previous one. The food is the same. But it looks like Pierre and Catherine, the owners, are still trying to put some of their own touches to the place. The restaurant is located in Old Town Scottsdale, AZ. It really needs some sprucing up to make it more attractive. The service is slow; but expected when a final product is excellent. The restaurant is run by the family. Pierre does the baking, Catherine does the cooking, and their children serve the customers.
Pierre bakes goods are still as good as they have always been. In this visit I had the Quiche Lorraine which is one of my favorites. The crust was delicate, flaky, and buttery and melted in my mouth. The savory custard, and the combination of cheese and ham puts this quiche in competition with the best quiches I have had in the area. I chose a fruit salad for my side. The fruit salad was not the best. It was a combination of fresh berries, cubed melons, and canned fruits. I could have done with the fresh fruit only and forgo the extra canned ingredients. Au Petit Four makes one of the best omelettes in the area. The eggs are light and fluffy, and they offer seven variety of filling to satisfy every palate. My favorite, the ratatouille, the vegetable are cooked to perfection, crunchy, and freshly tasting. If you have the opportunity to visit this French café more than once, you must try their crepes. They offer 8 combinations of fillings. My favorites: the Ocean, a combination of smoked salmon, capers, sour cream and dill; and the Forest, a combination of béchamel sauce, spinach, mushrooms, and Swiss cheese. It is my favorite breakfast (8:00 am – 11:00 am, Monday – Saturday) place. They also serve lunch Monday-Saturday 9:00 am – 2:00 pm; brunch on Sundays 9:00 am – 2:00 pm; and, dinner Fridays and Saturdays 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
And what is trip to Au Petit Four without tasting one of Pierre’s wonderful pastries. I like everything he bakes; but here are some of my favorites: plain croissants – nothing added, almond croissants, pain au chocolate, and pain au raisin. Pierre bakes other things that are also excellent: napoleons, choux pastries – my favorite custard filled eclairs, etc.
I you are in the Old Town area of Scottsdale, AZ, please make it a point to visit this French café. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale
“Breakfast favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restaurant has a new location, in Scottsdale. I went there on a Saturday Morning with a friend and we had a wonderful breakfast of Crepes and pastries. I thought the food was wonderful and my friend who is a world traveler said the crepes were super. I took two types of Crossaints home with me and was very pleased with the texture and taste of them. Our only complaint is that they make coffee by the cup and it takes awhile to get a second cup.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Little River, South Carolina
“No French Food Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Went for breakfast. Coffee was weak and cream was cold skim milk. The raisin roll looked doughy, but it was the only pastry that didn't look like it had been in the display for days. It arrived warm, but so dry the weak coffee could not get it down. They had placed butter on the top and nuked it, but it did not help.

Husband had an omlette which was not bad, however, do not add salt or pepper. The shakers were all clogged. We asked for hotter coffee and heard the microwave. At least it was hot. The bill was $35 for crap. There are plenty of really good restaurarts in Scottsdale to eat here. Keep on walking.

• Visited January 2013