“I jumpin' good time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rustler's Rooste

Rustler's Rooste
8383 S 48th St, Phoenix, AZ 85044 (South Mountain)
(602) 431-6474
Neighborhood: South Mountain
Chicago, Illinois
“I jumpin' good time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This place gets crowded so you better make reservations or get there very early. Food is good and portions are LARGE so be prepared. The restaurant gets noisy from all the people and they have a band but the band actually doesn't play very loud, which is a nice change.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Really cool place. great food, great entertainment, great service , great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and went here with two other couples and had a great meal, great time and would return. the only thing that was disappointing was that we could not eat outside on the awesome patio. looked like the private booking folks really enjoyed the camp fire and city views:(. one hint is that the meals are very very large and can easily feed two people.

Muskego, WI
“I agree - one visit is enough, or maybe even too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband had been to a business event at Rustler's Roost just a few weeks prior and since our first choice for a meal was not open, we headed here. It is a HUGE restaurant. All the quirks everyone mentions is true, the bull outside, slide down to the lower level, etc. I was expecting more BBQ options on the menu, but it really didn't have many. The waiter recommended the sirloin steak and considering it wasn't much more than a burger I decided to give it a try. He also mentioned the fried chicken was not very good -so take note.

I'm also not much into gimmicks and I found the "required greetings" and costuming a bit tacky.

The starter for the meal was corn bread and fry bread served with two types of butter. The corn bread was the better of the two in my opinion. The fry bread was almost tough. And how you can make butter bland is beyond me. Even the cinnamon butter was blah.

My steak came with several sides including gross corn-on-the-cob (come on, if it is out of season come up with something else), "cowboy beans" in their own little kettle and greasy, peppery green beans. The steak was fine, but not great.

My favorite part of the meal was the cotton candy our server brought at the end. In our home state, humid weather usually prevents cotton candy from staying fluffy and not clumpy. It was a real treat for this cotton candy lover.

People talk of the scenic view, but I can hardly wonder what they see. Granted it was night, but scenic to me is not city lights and highway traffic.

It has a great venue for large parties and my husband showed us where and how they had that all set up. It'd be a cool place for a wedding if you were into that kind of theme. Just wish the food was better.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New Baltimore, Michigan, United States
“Good Steaks, Fun Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Fun place to eat out w/ great atmosphere and views. We arrived early for our reservations but we were well taken care of in the bar area while we waited.
I order the Filet Mignon, medium rare. Not as rare as I like it but still good and the quality of beef was good. Would definitely go again if in the area.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Atmosphere is very fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Scenic location with indoor and outdoor seating. Great view of city. Mine shaft / saloon type atmosphere. Optional slide to get to lower level. Live bull outside. Place is loud and busy. Better for cutting loose and having fun. Probably never quiet and relaxing. Big beer served in a jar. We had a group of seven. Sat outside on picnic table. Awesome views. Slight of hand magician entertained us. He was excellent! We tried rattlesnake appetizer. Small portion of snake. Meals were good, but not really great. Server was very helpful and friendly.