“Delicious & authentic” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #82 of 2,595 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Atlanta, Georgia
“Delicious & authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I ordered a machaca burrito to go over the weekend. The tortilla was homemade, fresh, and perfect in every way. The machaca, or beef, was seasoned just right, cooked to perfection, and shredded how I like it. The only thing I didn't like was how long I had to wait for my food, but it's a good thing to see a restaurant so busy.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Reno,NV
“Authentic Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

No atmosphere, but it makes up for it with quick service and off the hook authentic Mexican food. Very reasonably priced. Spiced well

Visited November 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“is it me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I lived in Central America for 20 years so maybe you should ignore my review BUT this is not that good of food. I asked a Mexican friend "please tell me where I can get some authentic Mexican" and he sent me specifically to this Carolina's because it is the original and was the original owners.

I don't care if it is a hole in the wall (which it is) but if you got good eats you get a 5er... nope didn't happen for me. I met a friend who had a two hour lay over at the airport and thought that I would treat him to some authentic Mexican food. Bummer and I will keep looking.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Mexican Food Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I haven't eaten Mexican Food this good for years. The seasonings were perfect and the flavors perfectly blended. He had a tamale plate complete with beans and rice. The tamales were topped with red sauce and cheese. They were meat filled. My burrito was filled with refried beans, potatoes, cheese and chorizo. The flour tortilla was so outstanding we bought half a dozen to take home. Total bill was about $13 without drinks.

We arrived about halfway through the lunch hour on a Saturday and there was quite a line.
They take phone orders or you can dine in. The place is unpretentious and if decor is more important to you than taste and authenticity, this is not the place for you.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Great food, excellent deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

OK, there is no ambiance, but when the food is this good, who cares? It is in an old primarily Hispanic neighborhood, and looks pretty shabby form the outside. There is an assortment of characters inside at any given time, from blue collar workers to teens to moms to families to cops, firemen and city workers. We usually eat in, but many people probably prefer not to. The tables are like grade school cafeteria-types, where the chair is attached and you have to squeeze in. There are a few booths and regular tables, so you can find what you want. We like the food hot and fresh, not driven home for 1/2 hour....it just tastes better that way. The tortillas are infamous, paper thin and huge. I dare you to get home with them without eating one. They are hot when you get them and stay hot for quite a while. Oh....and the food! The machaca is some of the best we have had....in a breakfast burrito, green chile burro, enchilada, taco...whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed. The chorizo is also excellent....seriously, get over yourself and go get some of the best down home, excellent and fresh (and cheap!) food in Phoenix! I am a 64 year old white woman and I go in there myself so just do it.

• Visited February 2014