“Carolina's mexican restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #90 of 2,583 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Goodyear, Arizona
“Carolina's mexican restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Not really a restaurant per say. its fast food more like. My son just quit working there recently because he is back at college and no longer needs the job. He worked there for almost a year. Here is what I can say from my eating there and his working there. There food is average and it is over priced. The Menudo there is very expensive and doesn't come with the panza or stomach meat unless you pay extra for it. All mexican places I have been eating menudo comes with it. Just simply crazy. I can't believe people don't see there are better priced places to get menudo at and it tastes better. There beef tacos are delicious but the chicken ones are bland. Not much flavor my son says they don't flavor the chicken hardly that much. Everything is cooked in lard or made with lard. Yes it makes things taste good but for the more health conscious people they might want to know. There little bag of homemade chips is expensive. I can buy a bigger bag of homemade chips at foodcity for the same price. My son says alot of the people who go there don't seem to know there is better priced food and tasting out there. I have had better Menudo at the Supermercado walmart and it comes with the Panza. So on average some of there food is good but most of it isn't. The cashiers do not seem to want to take your order. Not all that friendly.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Phoenix, Arizona
“Get your food to go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Carolina's is a very busy, no-frills, reasonably priced joint at the corner of Mohave and 12th St, just south of downtown, somewhat near the airport. It's got parking on both sides of the street, so don't freak out if you don't see a spot from the direction you're approaching from!

They offer a somewhat limited menu of breakfast burros, burros, tacos, enchiladas, etc, with a variety of combination plates that offer good value for money. They've got one meal that has flautas in it, and one option for a chimichanga. If you want to take home some of their homemade tortillas or tostada shells, you can.

We've eaten there twice so far. The first time, we had burritos enchilada style to go. My red sauce was kind of basic but yummy, but my husband's green sauce was fantastic. The second time, we got a plain burrito--weirdly small, so order 2 if you aren't going enchilada style--while I got the flauta combination. My flauta combination had guac, salsa, sour cream, chopped lettuce and tomatoes, and fluffy grated cheddar on top of the flautas, as well as a small serving of beans and rice. Though we found the guacamole disappointingly seasonless, the sour cream is really lovely and tangy, and the basic red salsa has a great zip to it.

I'm not going to rate it down for the ambience; this just isn't that kind of joint. For what it is, it's really great and dependable.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, PA
“Authentic experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I really wanted to love Carolinas, but it was average at best. I thought I was prepared for the lack of atmosphere, but I cannot overstate that point to future diners. A school cafeteria has more ambiance, and certainly less flies. There is no table service, you order at a counter much like any fast food place, and the food is served in styrofoam containers. They also do not serve alcohol. For these reasons I feel Carolinas is best experienced at lunch. On the positive side, the stafff is polite and the food made fresh while you wait. Our family ordered flour tortillas with chicken and cheese, soft shell chicken tacos, a hard shell beef taco platter and red bean tamales. Overall, the food was all flavorful and the portions generous. Sadly I did not find the flour tortillas to be as spectacular as other reviewers. I don't think I will return and dine in, but I can see how it would be a great place for locals who enjoy authentic, no fuss Mexican food at reasonable prices.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Where the locals go!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

There is a reason that Carolina's continues to win awards. Their pricing is fair, the taste of the food is excellent and there is always a line!!! sometimes out the door but definitely worth the wait!!! The only negative about Carolina's is the decision on what to order because it is ALL so GOOD!

Visited August 2012
McKinney, Texas
“a treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hole in the wall offers great food at a great price. Not on the beaten path... very close to Phoenix airport.. legit Mexican food

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere