“A very nice place to eat and mingle.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st Street
Description: Fairly new place in the Cityscape complex
Redondo Beach, CA
“A very nice place to eat and mingle.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The staff were very professional and courteous, and the food was very good. I chose to go back for another meal after my first visit the month before.

Visited July 2014

Mesa, AZ
“I tried something different and liked it as well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A lot of times I seem to find a favorite at a restaurant and then reorder the same thing, but I had already found a couple of different items I liked, so I decided to try something new. It was very good as well. My wife really liked the salmon salad, and I had the Chicken with penne pasta. We weren't planning on eating here, as they usually don't open until 4 pm, but thankfully they opened at 3 pm.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“What happened to my reservation?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We planned to attend the Billy Joel concert on June 1st, so a week before I called to get a reservation. No problem said whomever I connected with, June 1, 5 pm, no confirmation number required, "we ill be expecting you". On concert day, about 1 pm called just to confirm and Adam told me we don't have your reservation and we don't take reservations on event nights. Although Adam did not exactly accusing me of lying he did say people were calling all day claiming they had reservations. Adam suggested if we arrived at 5 pm, getting a table would not be a problem, so I said, great, then just give me a reservation - he declined. Despite a rough start, we made the decision to try the Strand.

When we arrived at 5 pm, the restaurant was quiet and we were immediately seated. Michael, our server, appeared and welcomed us to the restaurant immediately warming us up. We started with a Cherry Limeade and a Shock Top (no happy hour prices on event nights), and then had the Angry Shrimp as recommended by Michael - great recommendation, the Angry Shrimp were very nice, spicy, flavourful, not burning spicy. We then split a pear salad, which was excellent and huge, we are so glad we split it, it would make a large salad meal for a single person. Nice, fresh, flavourful.

For mains I had the Crab Linguini, and my wife had the Chicken Parmesan, both were very nice, tender chicken, lots of crab and protein, and flavour. The service did slow down as we went through the meal as the restaurant got very busy, and loud, which was fine, Michael did a great job and were done dinner in plenty of time to be relaxed and head over to see Billy Joel at the US Airways Centre. I know they wanted to turn the table, however at no time did Michael make us feel rushed. We did leave by 6:30 so they probably got a second turn. We were too full to try desert.

Overall, other than the mix up with our reservations, the service was excellent (thanks Michael) and the food very good. A great spot before a concert or event.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
carefree
“An excellent pre concert dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

With prompt service from Michael, an excellent dinner was enjoyed prior to attending the symphony...2 blocks away. They start with crusty slices of bread served with a hearty pesto. I had the Italian beef sandwich and Caesar salad....very good. My companion had a huge and tasty burger. The place is fairly small so get there early as the arena and ballpark are close also. Cool lighting!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good, but overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

It may be that I get high quality corn-fed meat and fresh farm raised produce in the midwest, but the quality of the food wasn't as good as the reviews stated. With that said, the staff was great and the food was good enough that I would go back.

Visited April 2014