“Scary delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Peoria, Arizona
“Scary delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is a seriously flavourful restaurant choice whether your taste buds are fully developed or not. If they're not,they will be in short order,once you try the food here. South Indian food and vegetarian only is what they specialize in and offer at an affordable price.
Note that most are North Indian eateries and this is uniquely different and you won't miss the meat,chicken or fish while you're here. You have to trust me on this regardless of your persuasion,so to speak. It's been said that you'll never come back the same person,once you visit India....and will have a new perspective on yourself....changed for the better. The same goes for the food,once you give it a chance. Make sure to ask how best to put together the items on the buffet for example. The idilis (rice flour steamed cakes), ya the ones under the cheesecloth, go wonderfully with the sambaar(lentil soup)when you pour it over them. Do that to your taste,either drench or drizzle depending on what appeals ta ya.
By all means go haywire with the other items on the buffet as well....they are all great and will bring you back for an encore. Remember the buffet is truly the best way to go the first couple times at least because for one thing,the items vary at different times. The other reason is because of how affordable it is especially if you bring that appetite. Yes by all means, skip the meal before and you'll probably skip the one after as well. Not because it sits heavy...it does,but because of how much you'll consume. The flavours are intense and will linger for awhile,but such is the price one has to pay for outrageously delish grub eh!
Be sure they bring you the masala dosai (crispy stuffed rice flour crepe) to the table sizzling hot and slam it right away while it's still crisp and warm. Normally South Indian fare is spicy hot as well as flavourful spicy but these guys tone it down for the buffet just right. Now, on the a la carte you can special order it to taste,maybe even sample it prior as you can in some restaurants. Take someone like me with you so they can help you finish what you don't. They frown on wastage !(shrinkage...I think they refer to it as,in the food business) but are polite enough not to say anything as they smile while pulling the plates. I hear some people say even the kids liked it and asked to go back again or order a take out. They do have delivery and catering for special occasions as well and can accommodate larger groups.
I'm pleased to review Madras Ananda Bhavan and have no affiliation to it other than being a fan for life. They keep me satiated especially when I have a craving for that special hard to come by veggie Indian food that's also so good for you. Food to 'drive for' and not to die for or from. Yes maybe even kill for...no offense but I'd like to come back and eat again! Nuff said...but go get

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Decent food but very bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I will never go to this place again. It is badly managed and has poor service. The manager is very rude and makes you feel unwelcome. The lean guy at the counter is always looking hassled and got mad at me when I enquired about my order which was taking all the time in the world. I reached there at 8:45pm and he told me that I came late (they close at 9:15pm). Though the food was decent but it doesn't mean a lot if you are not well treated

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Alberta
“Authentic India in Phoenix, AZ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I confess that it was a groupon that lured us to the Madras Ananda Bhavan - we could not believe that there really could be a vegetarian Indian restaurant here. The neon sign "Indian Veg" convinced us that we had found the spot and was indication as to how authentic the experience would be. We have travelled extensively in India and the signage for Veg or Non-Veg is as important there as the restaurant's name!

The menu selection was extensive and included numerous chats on the appetizer list and there was a large offering of dosas too in addition to the usual Indian fare.

We ordered a Puri Chat and onion pakoras to start. The portions were generous, the ingredients fresh and flavorful. For mains we had ordered a vegetable biryani and a mutter paneer. The mutter paneer was the best ever! The sauce was creamy but not too rich, the cheese soft and smooth. The mutter paneer was served with a small scoop of white rice so I felt that we should have chosen something other than a biryani. Now we will know for our next visit which cannot come too soon. We were fascinated by some of the dishes that were being served at neighbouring tables. The dosas looked so temptings - large crepes served with various sauces. The tomato bhajia at the table next to ours was mouth-watering - it will definitely be tried next time!

We managed to save room for a shared portion of ras mallai for dessert. A sweet taste to linger and make us eager to return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Food is not bad but terrible and very disappointing service...i have given 2 stars only for the food

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Excellent vegetarian alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

First off, I admit to being a meat eater. So this restaurant is an 'alternative' for me. It is something I can do maybe once a week or so. We've taken advantage of some coupons to have mid-week dinners. In addition to that we've done their lunch buffet.

We've found the options quite tasty, the portions a bit on the large side, and the flavors something different from 'standard' Indian cusine.

As I noted, we've been there a few times, and plan to return with friends, particularly those for whom the vegetarian approach is a must.

• Visited February 2013