“Decent food but very bad service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,244 of 2,634 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Decent food but very bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I will never go to this place again. It is badly managed and has poor service. The manager is very rude and makes you feel unwelcome. The lean guy at the counter is always looking hassled and got mad at me when I enquired about my order which was taking all the time in the world. I reached there at 8:45pm and he told me that I came late (they close at 9:15pm). Though the food was decent but it doesn't mean a lot if you are not well treated

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Edmonton, Alberta
“Authentic India in Phoenix, AZ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I confess that it was a groupon that lured us to the Madras Ananda Bhavan - we could not believe that there really could be a vegetarian Indian restaurant here. The neon sign "Indian Veg" convinced us that we had found the spot and was indication as to how authentic the experience would be. We have travelled extensively in India and the signage for Veg or Non-Veg is as important there as the restaurant's name!

The menu selection was extensive and included numerous chats on the appetizer list and there was a large offering of dosas too in addition to the usual Indian fare.

We ordered a Puri Chat and onion pakoras to start. The portions were generous, the ingredients fresh and flavorful. For mains we had ordered a vegetable biryani and a mutter paneer. The mutter paneer was the best ever! The sauce was creamy but not too rich, the cheese soft and smooth. The mutter paneer was served with a small scoop of white rice so I felt that we should have chosen something other than a biryani. Now we will know for our next visit which cannot come too soon. We were fascinated by some of the dishes that were being served at neighbouring tables. The dosas looked so temptings - large crepes served with various sauces. The tomato bhajia at the table next to ours was mouth-watering - it will definitely be tried next time!

We managed to save room for a shared portion of ras mallai for dessert. A sweet taste to linger and make us eager to return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Food is not bad but terrible and very disappointing service...i have given 2 stars only for the food

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Excellent vegetarian alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

First off, I admit to being a meat eater. So this restaurant is an 'alternative' for me. It is something I can do maybe once a week or so. We've taken advantage of some coupons to have mid-week dinners. In addition to that we've done their lunch buffet.

We've found the options quite tasty, the portions a bit on the large side, and the flavors something different from 'standard' Indian cusine.

As I noted, we've been there a few times, and plan to return with friends, particularly those for whom the vegetarian approach is a must.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix
“Excellent food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This place is probably the best Indian restaurant in Phoenix. Granted, it's the only one I've tried - but why go somewhere else when you've found the best?? They have amazing, authentic food, with a wide array to satisfy practically anyone. The service is great too, very friendly, and the servers are always willing to give their opinion. We've been here at least six times and we've never had a complaint! Always great food and great service!

• Visited January 2013