“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Waterloo, Iowa
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed for 6 nights. Room was comfortable and fairly clean. When walking barefoot in the room then stepping into the shower you could see black in the bottom of the tub. The bed was very comfortable and had plenty of linen and covers along with 4 pillows. The staff was courteous and polite. We had breakfast in the breakfast area two times and was completely satisfied both times. The first time we ordered alacarte and the second day had the buffet. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet zone.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Hampton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We arrived the Crowne Plaza around 11:00 PM after departing from the East Coast. Upon arrival, we learned we had to valet check our car, fortunately the parking is free and you only needed to tip the valet the next morning. Upon entering the hotel and walking to our room we found the hotel to be tired looking. However, we were pleasantly surprised with the overall condition of the room. It was large. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the shower had good water pressure. My only complaint is that there was no night light in the bathroom, which is always a nice touch. Overall, for a one night duration, this is a good place to stop as it's close to the airport. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear snowbliss1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Baldwin Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I purchased this hotel via Priceline and got it at a fantastic rate which is a plus since it was cheaper than many of the lower rated hotels. This particular hotel has a indoor pool and spa and a outdoor. Both are quite nice. During our stay we also visited the gym. It was very small and there was absolutely no air circulation so it has a feeling of a sauna while working out. Rooms are somewhat small but nice and clean but we really didn't mind because we only went to our rooms to sleep. The hotel is centrally located near a mall and seemed to be in a fairly good area. There are endless possibilities for food and even a grocery store not to far away if you choose to go that route.

Mooresville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed one night and found it to be an older hotel..room smelled musty and restaurant wasn't open. Not what we expected for the way it was rated..good location off I17 and near restaurants..just average but was clean

• Stayed March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear hanson1610,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. It is really nice to know that you have noticed the cleanliness of our property and found our location accessible. However, we are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience over the smell of the room. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We made reservations to stay here over a weekend on www.ihg.com which is Crown Plaza's website. Do not believe what your printed confirmation and reservation says because it is simply not true. We booked a "Club room" which is supposed to include breakfast and a mini fridge in the room.
Check in was easy but the room was less than stellar and I wasn't too surprised when I opened the beat up cabinet where the fridge would have been but wasn't. It was mildly humorous in a frustrating sort of way since we had fresh food with us for our sons weekend sporting events. I shook it off and said we'd make due with the cooler.
The next morning, my wife went down with the kids for breakfast only to be told that our room didn't include breakfast or a mini fridge and she was berated by the manager on duty about how she'd booked the room. My wife presented the printed confirmation from Crown Plaza's website stating what was included with the room and the manager still insisted that they don't provided what the reservation stated. She was given 4 breakfast coupons for the entire stay which was half of what we were actually entitled to according to the reservation. If we wanted more, we were told we could purchase them for $10 each and a mini fridge could be had for another $10 per day but none were available. Complete crap!
We tried to call their corporate while we were still there but since it was a weekend, we had to wait until we got home and they did actually credit $50 back to us. I guess at least it's something but I would rather have been treated well and had a pleasant stay.
For the cost per night ($143+tax and fees) you can easily find a nicer hotel with much better amenities, better breakfast, and a courteous, professional attitude instead of the rude and accusing nonsense we experienced at the Crown Plaza. I should have read the reviews on here before we made the mistake of booking there. From what I've seen, Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express do a much better job for less money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Traveler_3469, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Rich P,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. We pride ourselves in our guest service, especially making things right if our guests encounter challenges. I am so sorry that we failed to deliver a stay that met your expectations.

While I cannot change your experience, I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. I can be reached at (602) 943-2341.

Adam Stanchina
Anaheim Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel has a GREAT location, it's very close to the Interstate (which is HORRIBLE for street noise if you are on the side facing the highway) but great for convenience! The hotel itself appears to be older, but it the rooms have been updated and it's VERY CLEAN! They have an indoor pool (literally in the center of the hotel.. all the rooms are on the perimeter) and I hated that I could smell chlorine from the minute I walked in the door! I'm not a fan of indoor pools so this was a negative for me, and I have a very sensitive sense of smell so it was bothersome to me, but might not bother someone else. I think they need to replace the windows/balcony sliding doors (and/or insulate better) in the rooms facing the freeway... It would cut down on the road noise... I have stayed in hotels on (or very near) to airports which were quieter than this property.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room on the OPPOSITE side of the freeway!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear yehwhatevr,

We appreciate you leaving a review on your recent stays with us. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are pleased you did enjoy the location of our hotel and the updated cleanliness of our rooms. It is unfortunate the indoor pool was not to your liking and apologize for the street noise. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Check in was slow, and I had to wait several minutes while the only person on staff disappeared to make what myst have been numerous copies for another guest.

I barely got settled in my room, and had to call the front desk to ask if there was something special I had to do to get the shower to work - and the answer was oddly, yes. Not because it is a fancy shower mind you, but because the shower faucet is just difficult to operate. Oh, and when I went to call the front desk, I was unable to do so from the phone on the night stand because the 'front desk' button does not function. Thank goodness the phone on the desk was in working order.

I also turned up the thermostat to warm up the room. I had it up to 80 degrees, yet only cold air continued to blow at full force. I had to turn it off completely to avoid freezing through the night.

I connected to the free (SLOW) wireless and was unable to get a basic web page to load in less than 3 minutes. Good thing I didn't have much work to do.

I tried setting the alarm clock - again, silly me expecting something in this room to function as expected. It went off at midnight, not the time I set. At this point, it didn't really matter, as I couldn't sleep anyway.

I should also add that the windows are paper thin, and I could hear every single car drive by on the highway. I would have been better off trying to nap at the airport instead of staying here.

At checkout I had to ask for a receipt. I also informed the front desk agent, Steven, of the issues I experienced. No apology, no concern for the conditions I experienced, just stated he'd make a note of it.

If you have any other option, take it! I would strongly recommend not spending your travel $$ here.

• Stayed March 2014
Traveler_3469, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear downtown_chicago_gal,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I am so sorry that we did not exceed your expectations.

You should absolutely expect a relaxing night's sleep when you visit us, and I understand how frustrating the challenges you encountered can be.

I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and the Crowne Plaza brand. Please feel free to contact me at (602) 943-2341 if there is anything I can do to make this right.

Adam Stanchina

Been to Crowne Plaza Phoenix? Share your experiences!